Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 68

It had been an interesting week, between Christmas and New Years. Tim and Theresa had started openly showing signs of affection. By Thursday Jessica had had enough, and told them to go out on a date. They did, the very next night!

Now it was Sunday, New Year's Eve. Jessica said it was always a bit nerve-racking, as the nurses all had to take a short shift, except the ones who actually got the day off. It was the luck of the draw when Theresa's shift was. On Christmas it had been pretty good. She'd worked in the later afternoon. This time she lucked out big time and didn't have to go in until late New Year's Day, many hours after New Year's Midnight. By then all the trauma and excitement of the place would be gone.

We had gone over to Antonio's, by invitation. It was the first time I could remember not dancing, even as far back as learning to dance with my mother, on a New Year's Eve. I became rather melancholy as I thought about it.

Jessica noticed and asked me what the problem was. Her response was something that kept me on my toes, as she alluded to me being well taken care of, but nothing more than that. If nothing else, the fantasies I was coming up with were good.

Tim drove over to the apartment, and the four of us got into the van. When we arrived, Jackie and her husband were pulling some food out of their car.

"Now why wasn't I asked to bring something?" Theresa asked, slightly miffed.

"You were, remember?" Jessica answered.

Theresa turned around to look at Jessica, as she said, "No, I don't. That's just great! Now we're coming empty handed when we were asked to bring something."

"Have you lost your mind?" Jessica asked. "You told me you were too busy, last Friday, and I would have to make it. What did you think I had in the bag?"

Theresa had the good grace to blush.

"Let's go in then," Tim said, ending that conversation.


Before dinner, Brandon was there, looking rather proud at having Fiona by his side. I smiled at him, and winked at her. Both of them grinned back at me. I noticed Fiona's cousins were staying away from the couple. My guess was that their father had been told about Brandon's visit, by Antonio. Most likely, they had gotten a good talking to.

I found out quickly what Jessica had in mind, about 'being taken care of.' I was wheeled into several spots, only to be left, with the brake set. After the second time I looked up to find the mistletoe. Not that I was complaining. Jessica is a very nice kisser.

The second time, though, we were 'caught' by Jeanie who took it upon herself to kiss me as well and then told Jessica to be careful.

"Well?" Jessica asked.

I had no clue. "Well what?"

Jessica used her whole body to exaggerate her eyes rolling.

"How do I compare?"

"Compare?" I asked.

I was still bewildered. Then it hit me.

"Oh! You mean the kiss Jeanie gave me?"

"Of course, what else?" she said as though I was as dense as I was feeling.

"Do you really want me to do that?"

"John!"

"Jessica," I said as I saw she was getting mad at me, "you love me. How do you expect your Aunt's kiss to even begin to compare?"

You'd have thought I had given her a million dollars. Women!

Ok, it didn't stop there. The third place happened to be the hallway. After Jessica gave me one of her smoldering kisses, I noticed Camellia and Madelena there, waiting.

"They want a turn as well," Jeanie said.

She was at the end of the hallway with a mischievous smile on her face. Jessica stuck her tongue out at Jeanie.

Jeanie just laughed and retorted, "I told you to be careful."

The twins were more enthusiastic than knowledgeable of what they should do. I thought that was a very good thing. Jessica saw the humor, and understood that they were not threatening 'her territory.'


Dinner was late in the evening, and that worked out well. Waiting for the clock to strike midnight wasn't so long after that. We played a few games. The twins tired and were told they would have to go to bed. That brought protests from them.

"I just think they want to have a New Year's kiss," I said.

It was an off the cuff remark. As soon as I said it, I got looks from all the gals there that I regretted.

Camellia and Madelena made their rounds getting kisses from all. The two took more time kissing Brandon and me, while everyone else made snide comments. I saw the humor in it. Brandon was thoroughly embarrassed. Then the girls were ushered off to bed.

As midnight approached, we were all given a small glass of champagne. Jessica was shocked. I could see Brandon was just as surprised as I was. Fiona and her cousins acted as thought this was normal. Jessica was looking for her parents, trying to see if this was ok.

They weren't in the room. Jessica found them in the kitchen.

"Oh good," her mother said, "you got one. We lost count."

Jessica looked blankly at her mother. Jeanie took hold of Jessica's shoulders and turned her around, walking her out of the kitchen.

"Jessica, don't make a big scene, ok?"

Looking at the glass of champagne, Jessica responded, "I've never had anything before."

"This is an Italian family and they are used to having a bit of wine. Everyone does it, even Camellia and Madelena would have been given a glass. It's not what we're used to, but hey, enjoy!"

"Ok..."

Jessica came back and found me watching the television. The familiar ball at Times Square was getting ready to drop, signifying the New Year had arrived.

"Is everything ok?" I asked.

"Yeah, I guess. Sometimes my parents are a bit strange."

I laughed. Jessica looked at me funny, and then realized how I'd said that same phrase many times.

Soon everyone was in the living room. We counted as the ball dropped. We clinked our glasses together, and then took a sip. Jessica then took my glass away from me.

Getting close to my face, she said, "I love you, John."

"I love you, too."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.