Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 66

It was Sunday night, and school was out. Monday morning there was no one that would be home ... that is, home chaperoning Jessica and I.

The topic had come up, again, over dinner. Tim had been invited over. Jessica was ecstatic that her mother had invited him. Theresa apparently had ulterior motives. Tim asked if they could talk about that after dinner.

After being asked, Jessica pulled me away from the table and out into the living room. Theresa told Jessica to stay there. That was unusual, in itself, as she usually cleared and washed up the dishes.

At first we couldn't hear anything, and were whispering as to what was being said. Theresa's voice was the first to be raised, but Tim matched hers. Jessica and I looked at each other. By the time they were shouting at each other, Jessica was in tears.

She couldn't stand it and ran into the kitchen.

"Stop!" she sobbed out. "Just stop."

I felt powerless, stuck in my fucking wheelchair. It was a horrible feeling!

Jessica went on, "I'll go to Jeanie's. I'll come to work with you. I'll do anything. Please, please! Stop fighting."

Suddenly, it was quiet.

Moments later, Tim came into the room where I was. His eyes were flashing with anger. He took his coat, looked over to me and shook his head. Then he headed to the door.

"Tim," I said, "don't walk away."

He stopped, looked back at me.

"I know that this is hard for you. Change. Do it for your daughter. Fight. Theresa isn't used to this, just as you aren't. Think, for a moment, about what is at stake."

Jessica was at the edge of the kitchen looking out.

Tim looked at me and then at his daughter.

"Jessica, take John out for a walk. Your mother and I have some things to talk about."

The look Jessica gave me was one of accusation and fear.

"My coat is in the room," I said.

Jessica stomped off to the bedroom.

"I hope you're right about this," Tim said to me.

I said softly, trying to take the sting out of my words, "You being her father, and acting like it, yes. I'm very sure that's what Jessica really wants."

Jessica came back into the room, and tossed me my coat. Before I even had it on, she started pushing me towards the door.

As soon as we were outside and down the path, Jessica stopped pushing.

"John."

"I know you're scared."

"What's going to happen?"

"Let's go over to Jeanie's. I think it might be good to talk with her."

"You're just trying to take my mind off of things."

"Yep. Jessica, come around and look at me," I asked. She did and I continued, "You're not used to having two parents. It's different than having just your mom. You're having problems with it, just like they are. Your mom isn't used to having someone else having a say in your life. I'll bet she doesn't like it. This is a big step for your dad, but you know why he's doing it, don't you?"

"Why?"

"'Cause of that talk you had with him about sex."

Jessica smacked my cast and then got behind me. I knew the direction was to Jeanie's apartment.


It was a very long week before Christmas. I was being teased about the packages under the tree, which I had no way of examining. Jessica and I also had unexpected visitors showing up at random times.

Jessica and I knew what prompted that. She was home from school and there wasn't a good way for everyone else to change their work schedule. That meant there were times we were alone together. Sometimes long periods of time.

It was a good thing that Theresa had purchased Tim's gift for me before they got into the fight over Jessica and I.

Tuesday, Tim had come over. After lunch, he said he had something to do and would be back, leaving the two of us alone. He wanted to trust Jessica and leaned more that way than Theresa. When he got back there was a message on the machine. Theresa had called. Jessica hadn't answered it. When Tim listened to it, he had Jessica call Theresa back. It went downhill from there. Tim was handed the phone and he didn't lie to her. He then told her that Jessica was his daughter as well.

We didn't hear any more of the conversation as Tim said nothing except, "Goodbye. We'll see you when you get home."

Thursday Theresa was still peeved about what Tim had done. Jessica was getting fed up with her mother. I could tell the build up was happening. There was little I could do. Well, ok, there was a lot I could do, but in reality I wanted Jessica to face her mother. It is, after all, part of growing up and becoming independent.

After another snide comment, Jessica let her have it.

"Mom, grow up."

"You are treading on thin ice, young lady," Theresa shot back.

"Do you know that Dad talked to me, wanting to know what I thought about sex? He wanted to know about John's and my relationship, where I saw it going and how we were doing. He felt it important to know my views about having a sexual relationship with John. Why haven't you ever done that, Mom? Afraid?"

"How many girls do you know who have a boyfriend living in their house, or is as old as John is? Some things need to be kept in perspective and I seem to be the only one who has any, around here," Theresa responded to her.

Jessica really ruffled her mother's feathers by laughing, then she taunted, "Next you're going to tell me that you're so much more responsible than anyone else around here, as well."

"You certainly have that right. I am, and don't you forget it."

"You really think it's responsible to have that blue thing in the back of your underwear drawer?"

The color drained from Theresa's face.

Jessica went on, "You did ask me to put away the laundry. How did you expect me not to find it, or was that the point? I could just substitute."

"Jessica Anne Marie!"

I had never heard Theresa call her daughter by that name. Later, Jessica told me that was what her mother called her when she was a very bad girl. Jessica was much older since the last time that was used, and this time it didn't carry the weight it used to.

"Yes, Mother?"

"Go to your room."

"My room, that John is staying in, or your room with that, oh sorry, those toys in it?"

Theresa became crimson, turned and walked into her bedroom, slamming the door behind her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.