Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 61

Antonio sighed and shook his head. He knew better than to try to work at home, but he'd been gone from work and he had things that he needed to catch up. This time it was his daughter, Camellia.

"What is it?" he asked as she climbed into his lap.

Her big brown ones looked forlorn as she asked, "What's wrong with Fiona?"

"What do you mean?"

"She's crying."

"She is? She was just in here a little bit ago. Do you know what happened?"

"Not now, Daddy," Camellia said, exasperated that her father didn't know. "When she's alone. Like in the potty, or at night."

Antonio frowned.

"Have you heard her crying since we came home?" He asked.

She nodded.

"Maybe it's because she's still thinking of all that went on. Being taken to that place was scary," he told his daughter, in hopes it would help.

"I think it was that fire thing, whatever that was. When we were at that place they took us to, at night she said scary things."

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" he said gently, not wanting it to sound like a scolding.

"Madelena and me thought it would go away."

"Ok, thanks for telling me. I'll see what I can do for her."

Camellia's face brightened and she smiled.

"I know you will, you always take care of everything."

With that, she scampered off.

He sighed once again. His young daughter still saw him as a hero, able to do everything. His oldest had been thrust into some unpleasantness, with which she obviously wasn't coping well.

Picking up a business card that lay on his desk, he almost laughed. A week ago he would never have considered calling such a person.


"I just had an interesting call," Downs said.

"I thought you weren't working," Barnes replied in an accusatory tone.

"From Antonio," Downs went on.

"That's a surprise."

"Fiona is having problems."

"And the younger two?"

"He said they seem to think it was just some sort of fun trip. Fiona is crying when she thinks no one can hear her."

"Not good."

"No, and Antonio is between a rock and a hard place. To get his daughter help, he needs someone he can trust to talk with her."

"So he called you."

"Yes. Now I have to talk with Ken and see what could be arranged. I think he will be amicable to the idea. I'd rather not have the heads know about this. Not sure how Ken can pull it off. If he does, and everything goes smooth, I can see Antonio having a trust relationship with us. That could be good for everyone."


Jackie had left. Jeanie and her husband came over. My parents were on their way out the door. They would be leaving after breakfast the next day, so I'd see them in the morning. I think they just wanted a little 'alone' time. I knew the feeling, having casts put you in the spot light, with little to no privacy. Something I was very unaccustomed to.

Jessica snuggled up next to me, while the others were in the kitchen.

"I wish mom hadn't made such a fuss," she said.

"I can't blame her. She's just trying to look out for you. That's what moms are supposed to do, and yours is a pretty good one. You should feel lucky."

Jessica smiled at me and then gave me a kiss.

"You're right," she said softly, tickling the hairs on my neck.

"It's only for six weeks anyway. The big question is what is going to happen when I get my casts off."

"I get to show you to all my friends?" Jessica said with a grin.

"Friends? I thought you told me you didn't have that many friends," I teased her back.

"With a boyfriend like you, I will have them crawling out from under stones."

"So, you'd like to make a few people jealous, is that it?"

"I'd never!" she said with a laugh.

I rolled my eyes and got back to the real subject.

"We do need to talk about the future."

"You mean when we get married?" Jessica asked and batted her eyelashes.

"Stop that! I'm going to have a problem that I can't fix if you keep doing things like that."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.