Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 60

I felt my face get hot. Theresa was smiling. I didn't even catch his name, not that I wanted to know. When he took Jessica's hand and kissed it, I clenched my teeth to the point of hurting.

The charade went on for a good four minutes, until I saw my father trying to repress a smile.

'Oh, hell, ' I thought. 'She got me good.'

I cleared my throat, and then said, "Can you tell me if the medication that Doctor Wimely gave me would cause diarrhea. I know that it's a mess. The last time that happened, I needed to be cleaned up and bathed, what ... almost every half an hour."

He turned a bit green. Theresa shook her head. My mother looked thoroughly confused. My father was having a hard time not laughing. Jessica looked shocked. She was about ready to say something to me, when her mother spoke.

"I think it's time to go. The next one will be showing up soon," she said as she looked at her watch.

As they started towards the door, I asked, "What do you really do?"

Before he could answer, Theresa had the 'boy toy' out the door. Jessica came and stood right in front of me.

"What was all that about? Who is Doctor Wimely? And I don't remember you having diarrhea."

"Jessica," my father said, "why don't you want some cute nurse tending to John?"

"What?"

"A sexy nurse, why don't you want one around John?"

"If you don't know why," Jessica huffed. "I'm not going to tell you"

"I wonder what John would think," my father went on, "while he was sitting there in his casts, immobile, while a cute guy was attending to ... well ... you."

Jessica's mouth dropped open.

"Your mother got me good," I told Jessica.

"Who's she going to bring next?" Jessica said. "I rushed home from school. I wish I would have known Mom was just going to be playing games today."

"I'm sure your mother had good reasons for what she did," my mother said.

"Yeah," I said, "like getting back at me."

"Why would she do that?" my mother wanted to know.

"Maybe we should just speculate on what, I mean who, she's bringing next," my father said with a grin on his face.

Before my mother could protest, I added, "Yeah. Let's see, the first one threatened me, then next was a 'boy toy' to draw off Jessica's attention ... What could be next?"

"I hope it's not a cute nurse," Jessica said unhappily.

"Probably not. Both were aimed at me," I said. "Maybe she's trying to prove a point."

"What would that be?" my mother said, still unconvinced that Theresa was doing this on purpose.

"To get me to understand how much of a pain in the ass it is to have me here."

"It is not," Jessica said heatedly.

The knock on the door had my father rising.

"I'll get that," he said.


"I hope I did all right, but that guy! You didn't tell me about the casts. Then that part about the diarrhea! I thought I was going to vomit. You owe me for this one."

"You did just fine, and I'll talk with your mother," Theresa said.

"A date with your daughter would do," the boy cheekily said.

"You get close to my daughter and the FBI will have a word with you," Theresa told him.

"I was just kidding. She's a bit young. Maybe in a year of two..." he said and then reacted as Theresa pinched his arm. "Ouch! I'm kidding."

Theresa dropped the boy off and handed him a ten.

"That's it?"

"You only lasted ten minutes."

"But that guy ... I think. Ok, Ok. Ten is fine."

"Good. I wouldn't want to have to tell your mom what you said about my daughter."

"You wouldn't!"

Theresa smiled, "Now be a good boy."

They both chuckled.

"Bye Theresa, see you at work."

As she pulled back into traffic, she looked at her watch and groaned.

"I'm going to be late," she said to no one.


Jessica couldn't resist and had followed my father to the door. When it was opened, there was no need for introductions.

"She's not here," Jessica said.

"Oh. I thought she said to be here at four."

"She didn't say you were dropping by," Jessica said. "Come on in."

My father stepped aside, and my mother and I got to see who was at the door.

"Jackie?" I said. "What are you doing here?"

"Umm, applying for the position."

"You?" Jessica said.

"Why not?"

"I don't get it," I said.

Jackie looked at us, before saying, "Did you get someone already?"

"No," my father said. "Theresa had two rather colorful applicants, and I use that term loosely, here before you. We were all wondering who she would bring next."

Jackie scratched her head as she said, "Theresa knew I didn't get off work until three forty and wouldn't be here till four."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.