Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 5

Theresa had sent Jessica out of the room, with explicit instructions to be down at the nurse's station, waiting for her there.

I knew I needed to take this matter into my hands, or Jessica would suffer more than I wanted to think about.

"Theresa. You daughter was just trying to do good. Does she bring stray cats home as well?"

The idea that I was some stray, lightened up her mood.

"Yes, she has tried that."

"Look, I'm not surprised by your reaction. I'd be more shocked if you'd agreed. I mean what would your husband say anyway? For someone so bright, Jessica didn't think this out very well."

"There isn't a— I don't think I need to explain to you."

"No you don't. I'm sorry. I think Jessica got attached to me for some uncanny reason. Maybe vomiting when I saw her dressed in her Halloween costume did it."

Theresa laughed. This was a good sign.

"She told you I make her come here dressed up, didn't she?"

"Yes."

"You know I couldn't take you in. I mean a man I don't even know, outside of the hospital, living in my house?"

"You're right," I said with a bit of humor in my voice. "With this cast on, I'm pretty dangerous."

She rolled her eyes. I noticed it was done with the same facial inflections that her daughter did.

"Now you are sounding like Jessica, making up smart remarks. I'd send you to your room as well, but you're already here."

"Could you promise me one thing?"

Raising her eyebrows, she answered, "That is a very broad request. I think I'd need to know what I was agreeing to first."

"Don't be mad at Jessica. She meant well. Talk to her about communicating with you about important things, so peoples' feeling don't get hurt."

Theresa smiled. "I think I can do that, John."

She was walking out the door when she paused and looked back.

"Your feelings are hurt."

I shrugged my shoulders. "It couldn't be helped." I forced a smile and added, "Won't kill me."


It was later in the afternoon when the phone rang. I knew who it must be, but still answered it cautiously.

"Hello."

"John, it's me. Now what are we going to do?"

I closed my eyes. Jessica obviously had something planned, but I didn't know what it was. Other than trouble for me.

"I think your mom was pretty clear on the subject."

I could sense the smile in her voice, "Oh? I'm not so sure about that. You on the other hand didn't help much."

I didn't think I helped at all.

"What did I do that helped?"

"Told her that it hurt. She's a nurse, and doesn't like to see people hurt. Plus she's been hurt enough as it is. I think, after she talked to me for almost two hours, that that is what it really is about."

"I don't get it."

"John, John, John," Jessica said in a voice that sounded like she was scolding me for being stupid. "There hasn't been a man in this house, well other than my Uncle and he doesn't count, since my dad ran out on us. That was two years ago."

"It's a wonder she didn't bite your head off for suggesting such a thing then."

"She was better than I expected, after she sent me out of your room. I think you had something to do with that."

"Yes I did. I told her not to kill you."

Jessica laughed.

"Mom's back; got to go, bye."

I set the phone down and laid back into my bed. Somehow I knew this was going to get complicated. Jessica had set up plans that if I didn't go along with, or appear to, she could cause a lot of problems. Reality of the situation was that, deep down, I wanted what Jessica had proposed. A bigger and more realistic truism was that I couldn't see it working out. There was no way in hell, after a husband had walked out on his wife and daughter, that I would be welcomed into their house, cast or no cast.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.