Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 53

Special Agent Downs didn't waste time on ceremony. He didn't say the meeting was over. He simply picked up the pile of papers and walked over to where Agent Barnes was lying. Agent Ling and two other agents walked over as well.

Barnes had watched Downs and as soon as he was by her side, she asked, "Who?"

"Thompson."

"Oh, God. How?" Barnes asked.

"A raid at a suspected SCOPE operation. She died immediately, it says. A shot to the head."

Neither Downs nor Barnes heard the collective gasp. They did not realize that no one was making a sound and their conversation could be heard.

Barnes asked the next question, "They get the fuckers?"

Downs read the paper and nodded.

There was also a bit of talking. I wondered if some of it was to cover up the conversation that was happening here.

"There were three kids there," he said. He looked up at her and added, "They're safe, now."

"She was one of my instructors," Ling said.

Downs looked over at me. I was lying close enough, that he knew I was hearing all of this.

"Sorry. Hell of a way to realize the world is not a nice place."

No one felt like speaking. Downs read the rest of the page and the next in silence.

When he got to the third page, he shook his head. It looked like it was taking a lot for him not to lose control.

"A lobbyist. A fuckin' lobbyist was behind this. Unbelievable."

"Lobbyist for what?" I asked him.

"Ammunition. This third page is a copy of some memos. The whole bank robbery thing ... it was just a front to get the public to be afraid of terrorists and all that. They murdered and created terror in the name of trying to sell more product. I hope those..." Downs stopped himself, realizing that his voice had risen to the point where even he could tell that everyone heard him.

"I'm going for a walk," Downs said and stomped out.

"Is he going to be ok?" Jessica asked Barnes.

"Yes. He needs to blow off some steam. This was his investigation. Even though it grew to the point he couldn't do it all; to him, it feels like it is his. The death of an agent is hard. We're trained well, but...

"I'm sure this report doesn't give specifics. They hardly ever do. It's an overview and in this case, hastily done. He's going to need to read the rest of it, as I'm sure it will give us instructions. Most of us don't want his position. We don't want to have to deal with what he's going through. It's bad enough where I'm at, without thinking that I put someone in those places."

Ling added, "If you noticed, all of us respect Special Agent Downs very much. He puts a lot of thought into his decisions. He cares how each one of us is doing. Agent Barnes didn't say it, but he's also worried about Woods."

"Because of what he said to him, when you went over to Antonio's house?" I asked.

"How..." Ling asked, a bit shocked.

"Downs had me give John a radio. He heard everything ... but Ling, you didn't hear that."

"Not a word," Ling replied. "And to answer your question, yes. One of the hardest things anyone deals with is something not so nice we've said or thought coming true. It doesn't have to make sense. It is part of how we're made up. He was here, Woods was there, but Woods was a thorn in Downs' side. Now, until he knows, it's going to be upsetting for him."

I looked over, and movement caught my eye. I watched for a moment and then said, "Agent Ling, did you play with Fiona's sisters?"

"Yes, why?" she asked as her head turned to look at the two girls. "Oh, I see. You think I should go and be there."

"Looks like Ken is going to try and talk with them. You might be the friendly face they need."

As soon as she moved away, Barnes said, "Thanks. I think she may be helped, as well."

"Maybe. I'm glad it's over," I said. "It will be good to know why I was a target."

"John, you may never be told. I hope you know that."

"Never? My life was in jeopardy and I don't get to know why?"

"I said you might," Barnes said, then gave me a little smile and whispered, "Well, through the regular channels, anyway."


With Downs out the door, the meeting was definitely over.

Ken and Ling had taken Camellia and Madelena off to talk with them in a quiet environment.

Fiona, her mother, and her Aunt, had gone into the kitchen.

Antonio and his brother were talking with two of the agents, most probably getting what they had missed from what Downs had said.

My mother, Theresa, Tim, Jeanie, and her husband were talking. I was a bit worried about that.

It was then that I noticed that my father was not part of that group. I found that Jessica had cornered him.

As the two of them walked out the door, going who knows where, my mother and Theresa walked quickly over to me.

"What was that all about?" Theresa asked.

"Any more specific than that might help."

"You know darn well what I'm talking about," Theresa answered. "Your father and my daughter."

Glancing first at my mother and then at Theresa, "You have a very intelligent and resourceful daughter. She wants to work on strategy I believe."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.