Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 51

Everyone had gathered and was seated in the mess hall. The only two who were not there, were the ones in the communications building, and they were listening in.

The drop had been retrieved and Special Agent Downs was preparing to open it.

"Standard protocol suggests that I would have opened this and then let you know what I thought was appropriate for you to know. Personally, every one of you have been affected by what is going on. We took you out of your town and pulled you into this 'no-where' land. I believe you have a right to know what is happening, as it directly affects your lives. The incident of this dropped parcel is an example of how everything has changed. I can tell you one thing, without even opening this. Had everything been resolved, the drop would have been different. I already know that we are staying at least one more day."

There was a general consensus of disappointment that demonstrated itself in a groan. Most all of us were looking at each other. I noticed several people looking at me more than the usual. Maybe some of it was my imagination, but it could well be because I had just arrived and had two casts on. I wasn't sure.

Jessica was one. She was sitting between her mother and father. I could tell this was hard for her. She wanted to be there, between them. She also wanted to be with me. That was obvious from her eyes. It also told me she got the letter I'd penned and given to Theresa.

The man, who had been with Downs and Jessica's parents when they came into the room, was also spending a bit of time studying me. It would have been nice to know who he was. My parents, who had come with me, had no idea.

Then there was Fiona. I knew I would need to talk to her, as we hadn't spoken after she was pulled out of the fire. Her two sisters were looking at me and then giggling to each other. Who knew what that was all about!

The last person who was eyeing me was Fiona's mother.

Fortunately I didn't have time to dwell on these things. Downs had opened the case. He pulled out a large envelope, opened it, and removed the papers it contained.

He scanned the first page and put it down, then looked up to us.

"Just a cover letter, as one might expect. Now the meat." Then as almost an apology, he said. "I do want to look over this before I read it out loud, to make sure I don't start reading some classified document to you that I wasn't expecting, or something that the younger children shouldn't hear. So please bear with me for a moment."

We waited in silence. He smiled at last and again looked up.

"Let me read this last paragraph, first.

"Special Agent Downs. No doubt you are going to read this article to the people you are protecting. Be advised that you have not violated any laws in doing so. Given the situation and our understanding of your connection to those involved, we prepared for this. All the information herein is accurate and correct. There is no classified information contained within the first two pages. Page three, article five, is classified and only authorized for grade seven or above to read.

"I do hope you appreciate what has been done. I obviously do, as it absolves me of doing what I was planning on, anyway. I also want you to realize that I can't remember anything like this ever happening before. There is a first for everything.

"As it is open for all of you to read, I will leave these first two pages for anyone to look at in detail. But for now, here's the condensed version.

"At the point we got the first positive ID on the people who attacked Jeanie and ... her husband, sorry I can't remember your name right now. Anyway, when their house was shot at and set on fire, we got pictures of the perps. That led to inquires in some rather unusual places. It became very clear that some of you were in extreme danger. That's when the order to evacuate all of you came down.

"I know that to some of this is old news. If I were you, the first question that would come to mind is, 'Who is the FBI after?' My guess is that may well be contained in the classified section that I haven't read yet. Even then, it may not be there.

"From what this says, information is coming in from five different states. As is typical, the agency will obtain warrants and conduct raids at the same time. This is done to protect the evidence that we may lose if anyone gets tipped off. Time is running out for them and they are working round the clock to make this work. Everyone at the agency wants to nail the right people."

He had stopped talking and there was a pause as everyone digested what Downs had said.

"So basically we're stuck here, until further notice," Antonio said.

"I'm afraid so," Downs replied.

Antonio's face showed a mild disgust as he added, "Is there anything edible in this place? I am not sure if I can face what we had for lunch again."

That lightened the mood. Everyone was sure he wasn't joking, but the tone in which he said it was rather funny. Soon, everyone was laughing, including Antonio.

One of the other agents stood up and said, "I can answer that. Some fresh provisions were placed on the plane. There is a stock of food that is kept on-hand. We're not the best cooks, but I can pretty much assure you that what we end up making for dinner will be better than the MREs (military packaged food) you had at lunch."

I turned to my parents and said, "I'm glad we weren't here."

Antonio's wife stood and asked, "Could we cook?"

The still standing agent looked surprised, but answered, "You want to cook? Be my guest."

At that point, a flurry of Italian began to be spoken between the Bartenelli wives. They got up and took a step towards the kitchen. A turn, a look, two words, and a very surprised Fiona stood and followed as well.

"Can't wait for that meal," my father said, as everyone else started to get up.

Jessica walked over to me, parents in tow.

"Hi," she said.

"Hi," I returned. Then for once remembered my manners. "Dad, Mom, this is Jessica's father."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.