Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 50

I turned my head as the door opened. It was quiet enough that I had heard a group of people coming down the hallway.

When Downs opened the door, it wasn't too surprising. I had heard he had been in here seeing Agent Barnes almost constantly. He stepped aside and I saw Jessica.

I'm not sure if anyone else came into the room. Frankly I couldn't tell you if there was a room. My eyes were transfixed. My mind focused on the one person who mattered most to me.

When Jessica left the room with the psychologist, she couldn't wait to get to John. Now, face-to-face, her fears rushed back to her and she started to babble.

"John the letter you sent me burnt up in the fire. I couldn't do anything about it. I'm so sorry. That is inconsequential to the other thing I did. I'm so sorry, John. I know you're going to hate me. Your laptop was in the house."

Ken wasn't surprised at Jessica mentioning the letter. He knew that was going to come out. He didn't expect it as soon as she entered the room, though. What did surprise him was the laptop. He saw how she reacted to the loss of the letter, and in her own admission, this was a greater loss. Something to talk to her further about, he thought.

I heard the pain in her voice and wanted desperately to reach out and take her in my arms. These fucking casts!

"Jessica, listen to me. That laptop means nothing compared to you. It was a tool, and if you remember, it's what brought you to me. I haven't wanted it, or needed it. I need you."

Before she could respond, a siren went off.

"Out! Everyone Out!" Special Agent Downs said. "Down the hall, and into the mess. They'll tell you where to go from there. Theresa, stay with me. Now go! Quickly!"

I saw Tim take hold of Jessica's hand and pull her out of the room. She was looking back at me with such sad eyes.

"Hell, I hope this is a false alarm. Theresa, take John into that room," Downs said pointing. "I'm taking Barnes into the one next to it. They are the safest places. Close the door and lock it. I will call you on the intercom to let you know what is going on."

As they started to wheel the two gurneys we were on, Theresa asked, "What's going on?"

"The most likely reason is an intruder. Don't panic, that can mean just about anything. As soon as we get these two in place, I will find out what's happening. Oh, and Theresa, the lights are going to be cut in about a minute. It's going to be very dark in the room."

"Flashlights?" Theresa asked.

"Try the top right cabinet. That's my best guess."

Downs was right. As soon as Theresa closed the door, the lights went out, and we were thrust into pitch black. I heard her rummaging around, trying to find a flashlight.

Not sure why I could think of it at that point, but I said, "I bet Downs and Barnes aren't looking for a flashlight."

The movement stopped.

"John."

"Yes."

"That's a terrible thing to say."

"Is it?"

"Yes. My daughter is off who knows where. We're under some sort of alert. I can't see a darn thing, and all you can think about is the two of them using this opportunity?"

"Ummm."

"Obviously," Theresa went on, "you didn't think about the fact that they already found that moment. From what I understand it was two months ago."

What she had said was spoken in a matter of fact tone. It took me a moment to figure out what she had actually meant.

"Theresa!"

She laughed. The lights came back on. We both blinked. She still got to see the blush on my face.

"I guess everything is fine," she said and went to the door.

"I wouldn't. Downs said he'd tell you on the intercom. He hasn't."

"You're right. Ok, we wait.

"Is there any paper and a pen?" I asked.

"A tablet on the counter," she said as she opened a drawer. Then another. "Here's the flashlight, and a pen. What do you need those for?"

"I'm going to write Jessica another letter."


As the last ones arrived in the mess, they were quickly taken down another hall. They went through a set of doors that had been closed and locked before. Then they went down a narrow staircase. Once inside a large room, the door was closed and secured.

"We will remain here until we hear everything is clear."

"What's happening?" Antonio asked.

"Communications picked up an aircraft in the restricted space. It happens on occasion, but there are usually no aircraft around this area. Automatic warning signals go out and the plane will be told to leave. If it turns around, things should be fine. They will track it until there is no threat."

Jessica looked over and saw that Fiona had both her sisters on her lap. One was sitting on each leg. As much as she complained about taking care of them, at times, Jessica could tell the girls looked to Fiona for love. She wondered if Fiona knew how much she meant to her sisters.

Ken moved next to Jessica and said, "Can I ask you a couple of questions?"

"Sure, as long as it doesn't have anything to do with the laptop."

Ken raised his eyebrows, wondering how she knew that is what he would be asking about.

"It obviously meant more than anything else you talked about, and those things set you off. I'm just trying to help."

"I'm not sure about that, in this case. It was his; I sort of took out of his car. It's destroyed. End of story."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.