Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 46

Both agents jumped into the back of the van and grabbed hold of me. The explosion tossed the van into the wall ahead of us, which was less than five feet away. If it hadn't been for the agents, I would have been tossed around in the back like nothing I wanted to imagine.

When the van came to rest on its side, I noticed the back door had been breached, somewhat. I saw through the small crack the remains of a car. It was still on fire.

I looked at the agents, who had protected me. One was out cold. The other was disoriented. I knew that would pass.

Through the crack between the doors, I could see a trail of fire that was making its way towards our van, from the car that was on fire.

'Fuck, ' I thought, 'the gas tank is leaking."

That moment of anxiety was replaced by the sound and sight of fire extinguisher foam hitting the ground, covering the gasoline, and smothering the fire half way to the burning car.

I pushed back as some foam spurted through the small opening.

Then I heard someone say, "We'll get you out as soon as we can. I think we're going to have to cut you out, though."

"Damn," I heard one of the agents inside of the van say.

I looked over to find both of them sitting up.

"One hell of an explosion! It got through, too. Ain't supposed to be able to do that. I hope it makes it easier for them to get us out. I have a hell of a headache."

There was a tapping on the van and the same voice I heard before said, "You guys alive in there?"

I didn't find that amusing at all.

I moved over to the crack in the back door and said, "No, we're all dead!"

"Umm, is that you John?" I heard as a response.

"Yes."

"What the fuck are you doing in there?"

"Waiting to get out."

"No. I mean ... Guess at this point it doesn't make any difference. The 'Jaws of Life' will be here in a few minutes. Then we should be able to get you out."

"Should be able to?" I had to ask.

"This van is armored a bit more than you might think. I hope we can get you out without resorting to more drastic measures. John, not to sound ungrateful, but is there a reason the agents aren't talking to me?"

"Trying to get themselves oriented, I think. They protected me when that car blew up. I'm fine ... not so sure about them. What the hell happened anyway?"

"That explains why they're not in communication. We'll talk about what happened, after we get you out. Ok?"


Lieutenant Colonel Armstrom came into the mess hall after hearing disturbing reports about how the guests were behaving. He had changed into his dress uniform. Taking a deep breath, he used his long practiced military voice.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. I am in charge of this facility and while I am in charge I will not tolerate the behavior I have just heard about, happening in this room. While I understand your emotions are running high, we are going to be in close quarters for the next couple of days. We will respect each other, even when we do not feel like it. Do I make myself quite clear?"

Tim had been out of the service for many years, but the feelings swept over him again. None of them were too pleasant. He fought back his initial reaction and put his hand up into the air, then called out.

"Sir, you said a couple of days. Do you have any idea how many?"

"My orders were to evacuate you and secure this site. The idea I received was that it was to be very temporary. I have no other information than that."

Jeanie was not used to taking orders, or military protocol. She just asked her question.

"So what happens to our businesses? Or our house, what's left of it? Do we have any say in what is going on?"

"Ma'am," Lt. Col Armstrom replied, "I don't relish the idea of being so blunt in front of the children, but your chances of survival were slim, without intervention. I think you might consider the alternative as the best option."

No one could think of another question after that one was explained.

Antonio had tried to explain to his wife about what had happened at Jeanie's house, although she wasn't listening at the time. When the slap across her face occurred, she understood her flippant attitude was not going to be tolerated. She now looked at Jeanie, to whom she stood near, and felt a bit sick to her stomach.

"What happened to your house?"

"It was shot up and then torched. There's not much left," Jeanie said as though she was very detached from the reality of what had happened.

Turning and looking at him, Antonio's wife studied his face as if searching for answers.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.