Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 36

All of us were looking out the windows at what was going on. There was little to see, really. I had an idea of what was happening; but if I hadn't known, I'd have been guessing as well. When Agent Barnes turned to walk back to the house, while the others moved away, I winced. I remembered what Special Agent Downs had told me about his partner.

I'm sure she knew, seeing us looking at her as she approached, that she'd be peppered with questions. Understandably, she took us in the living room to talk with us.

"As you know, and could see out the windows, there were four agents that arrived. They are here because of an incident that needs to be taken care of rather quickly."

Tim interrupted her, asking, "Does that mean that John, Theresa, or my daughter, Jessica, are no longer in danger?"

"We can't rule out that possibility, as of yet," Agent Barnes replied.

"So let me get this straight," Tim said. "There were four agents here watching these three and now there is one. Do I have that correct?"

"Yes, you do. I don't, however, believe there is anything to be alarmed about. We have been in this waiting game. Nothing has been heard. I am fully connected to Special Agent Downs, and to our head office."

"Maybe," Fiona said to Jessica, "it would be best if I went home. Somehow I think that it might be better."

It had been quiet and everyone heard the exchange. Agent Barnes wasn't sure how to handle that one, without giving away the real purpose of the agent's mission.

"Fiona," I said, "I haven't had a chance to talk with you. Jessica said she had a friend at school, but we didn't a chance to talk about things like that."

Jessica blushed, as she took what I was saying in a way I hadn't intended. Fiona looked at her friend and cracked a smile.

"Ok. I'll give you all the juicy gossip on her."

"Hey!" Jessica protested.

The two girls got into a friendly match of pushing at each other, laughing the whole time.

Agent Barnes winked at me and then said, "John, before you learn all about Jessica from her 'so called' friend, can I have a word with you?"

"Oh, no!" I said, playing along. "I think I'm about to be warned how..." Looking at Jeanie I went on, "how would you describe it?"

"Oh, no," Jeanie said. "You're not pulling me into this mess. You got yourself there and you can sink all by yourself."

I took a deep breath and said, "Ok. I guess I'm off to seal my fate. Agent Barnes, I'm all yours."

"Oh no he's not," Jessica called out. "He's all mine."

Agent Barnes smiled at Jessica, saying, "There is little question about that!"

Jessica had the good grace to blush nicely as I crutched out of the room.


"At least we have a blueprint. The one advantage of going to a home of someone who has been watched for years," Special Agent Downs said. "If my source was right, the only one's here are the kids. There should be four of them. Two boys and two girls."

"Source?" Agent Woods asked. "Who was your source?"

Downs just smiled and went on, "In any case, we will surround the house in the normal fashion. Two in back," he said pointing to areas on the blueprint, "one on each side," again pointing, "and then the three in front. I'll be knocking on the door. Woods, you will be to my right and Ling, to my left. Who wants the side and back?"

The house was an upscale residence, but not overly extravagant, easy to get to and easy enough to surround. One of the agents, after looking at the blueprints, moved to where the utility connections were and disconnected the phone line. Another agent set up a multi frequency blocker, disabling all wireless communication, except the FBI's select channels. Now it was time to move in.

They weren't there to cause a scene; the black cars were hardly noticeable. Their movements were smooth and practiced.

Special Agent Downs felt that uneasiness in his stomach, as he always did, when he knocked on the front door.

He said into his hidden mike, "Barnes, think a few good thoughts right about now."

Downs waited for a minute, as the door had gone unanswered, and knocked with a bit more force.

The music that had been heard outside the house was turned down. There was a peek through the front window shades. Through the closed front door was a voice, attempting to sound older than it was.

"What do you want?"

"Son," Special Agent Downs answered, "is your father, or mother home?"

"No, but they'll be back shortly."

"Somehow I don't think so. Now, I suggest you open that door before I have to break it down. I'll give the count of..."

The door opened and a boy of sixteen stood in front of it.

"Who are you and what have you done with my parents?"

"Are you Tony, or Phil?" Downs replied.

"I'm Phil, and you didn't answer me."

"Where's Tony?"

"I'm not answering another question."

"Ok, let me explain a few things to you. I'm Special Agent Downs of the FBI. This," he said holding out a piece of paper, "is a search warrant. Now we can do this one of two ways. As you're a minor, you can invite me in and I'll look around. The other alternative is that I call child protective services. They come and pick you five up, and then I look around the house. Which one would you like?"

Phil looked a bit shaken, but was trying his best to keep up his tough guy appearance. Downs was suitably impressed that he was maintaining it.

"I think I should talk to Tony first, to see what he thinks ... and there's only four of us here."

"Phil," Downs said. "You have no way of communicating, so don't even think about it. The house is surrounded, so please don't try anything stupid. There is you, Tony, Fiona, Camellia, and Madelena."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.