Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 33

Jessica saw the two come in the door with Jeanie and shrieked, bringing Theresa and Fiona into the room.

"Barnes! Report!" she heard in her earpiece.

Talking into the cell phone, Agent Barnes said, "We're inside and Jessica saw me."

Downs and I could hear Jessica over the phone asking Agent Barnes, "Where is he? Did you bring him? When do I get to see him? Tell me!"

As Agent Barnes heard Jessica pelting her with questions on the one side, she heard Downs in her ear.

"Is it clear?"

Before Agent Barnes could answer, everyone heard Jeanie's husband calling for her. Jeanie responded quickly, because of the tone of his voice. Agent Barnes moved with her.

The television had been forgotten. He was staring at the monitor that showed their front gate. Jeanie moved over to him and looked. Then her jaw dropped.

"Jessica, you get in here, right now!" Jeanie said.

Of course everyone else came in, wondering what was going on.

"Do you want to explain this?" Jeanie asked Jessica as she pointed to the screen.

Jessica looked, although she knew it was about time. She saw her father, looking rather apprehensive at the front gate.

"I asked, and was told I could invite who I wanted," Jessica said with forced determination, but at the same time she was on the edge of tears.

"Who did you invite?" her mother asked.

"Tim is outside," Jeanie responded.

"Tim!" Theresa said to her daughter. Then with heat in her voice added, "You ... You invited him?"

Jessica took a deep breath and everyone could see she was shaking.

"Yes I did and I'm going to let him in, now," she said. Then, to dare anyone to stop her, she added, "Or, I'll just leave with him."

There was a pause of silence before Agent Barnes said, "You, little lady, are not going anywhere without an escort. I'm going with you."

As soon as they walked out the door, Theresa said, "What am I going to do with her?"

"Should I go?" Fiona asked, rather timidly.

"No. No. None of this is your fault. Jessica is just sticking her hand into business that she shouldn't," Theresa said.

"Tim is your ex, isn't he," Fiona asked.

"Yes, he is."

"She's talked about ... Oh! Never mind."

"What's she said?" Theresa curiously wanted to know.

Jeanie butted in, knowing Theresa was placing the poor girl on the spot. At the same time, Jessica opened the door quietly. She didn't want to make a scene.

Turning to the unknown man, Jeanie asked, "Now I want to know why you were spying on us and for how long?"

"I am not at liberty to tell you any information, although I would like to know why Fiona Bartenelli is in your home."

"How do you know who I am?" Fiona asked.

"I'm Agent Wood from the FBI and..."

Agent Barnes stepped into the room and touched his shoulder. Startled, he spun around. Without thinking, he caught Barnes right in the chest, taking her down to the floor.


I had heard when Jessica had said her father had been invited. Things were not going to go well. The cover had been blown by the over zealous agent. It was simply a matter of time. Special Agent Downs was concentrating on listening into the conversation and didn't have time to pay attention to me.

Leaving the room, I made my way to the back of the house. Even though I was doing pretty well on the crutches, I eyed the three stairs out the back porch with disgust. The redeeming factor was the handrail. Without it, I wouldn't have attempted. With it, I had a difficult time; but without falling, I made it down.

When Downs came out of the house I was at the back of the property, opening the door to the garage.

"Oh no you're not," he called as he walked towards me.

I ignored him and walked inside the garage and over to his car. He got next to me quicker than I thought that he would.

"I can't get back into the house on the crutches."

"You got out."

"With difficulty," I responded. "Going down steps is easier. I couldn't pick up my cast and keep balance at the same time. Plus, you have no idea how long you're going to be. Quit arguing and just take me."

He shook his head, but I knew I'd won.

"You're wasting my time," he said.

"Talking about it is wasting time. Just open the doors."

He clicked the remote and I took hold of the handle. Opening my door, I turned around, bent over and sat. It wasn't graceful but worked. I at least landed on the seat. He picked up my crutches that were on the floor now and looked at me.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.