Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 32

There was a moment of maybe five minutes when I was alone. It was 'the changing of the guard, ' so to speak.

When Agent Barnes showed up, she looked at me suspiciously. I wondered if she thought I was going to get into something. You know the saying, 'While the cats away, the mice will play.' There was little hope of that, as my mobility was severely limited and the last thing I needed, was to do something stupid, and end up with this cast on any longer than needed. Then again, as I thought later, maybe she expected the questions.

"Where are the others staying?"

"Others?"

I gave her the 'please spare me' look and said, "I'm sure Downs told you I figured that one out. Anyway, you had a bet on it!"

"He did mention it," she said, "and don't worry, they aren't staying here."

"I wasn't worried, but it sounds like you're relieved. The guy you're stuck with isn't Downs, is he?"

"No," she said. She looked at me, shook her head and then added, "I refuse to say another word."

I had to smile about that, knowing she didn't mean it.

"Did you get any pictures of Jessica?"

Now it was her time to smile.

"I might have..."

"Somehow I know this is going to cost me," I said.

"Teach me how to beat Downs in poker."

I opened my mouth, ready to say there was no way I could. Then I thought better of that approach and what came out was, "I can do my best. How many pictures do you have?"

"Ten."

"Ten! Show me one, please!" I begged. "Show me one and then get a deck of cards."

She grinned. "So this is, 'Show me yours and I'll show you mine'?"

I couldn't believe she just said that, but I nodded, not knowing what else to do.

She still was grinning when she handed me my crutches.

"Come on, I have the memory card, we need to plug it in so you can see it."

At that point she had my full attention. I followed her into the living room, where she plugged the card into a reader.

"As you know, there are a few extra high tech devices in this house that most people wouldn't own. You'll get to see Jessica on the flat screen TV, in just a moment."

My mouth felt dry as I was waiting. The screen went from black to full color and I saw her. My eyes soaked in the vision of her loveliness. Then my eyes stopped and focused.

"What's that?"

"What?" Agent Barnes asked.

I moved over to screen and pointed to her forehead.

"What's that?"

I could see Agent Barnes frown as she looked.

"Maybe a shadow, I don't know. Let's look at another picture."

Another shot, different angle, different place, but there was the same line on her forehead.

"That wasn't there when we left," I said.

"You're sure?" she asked.

"I think I'd notice something like that," I replied, as I rolled my eyes. "Are there any clearer ones of that part of her head?"

"I think you're just trying to see all of the pictures."

"Fine," I said heatedly, "you look at them and then tell me."

"John, calm down. I was teasing. Come on, let's pull this out and look at them on the monitors in the control room. I still can't believe Downs showed you that, but those monitors have much better resolution."


"You do understand that contact is still out of the question," Agent Barnes said to me.

"Yes," I replied, none to happily, but also added, "you are going to get better pictures today, right?"

"I will do my best; she should head out for school soon. If yesterday was any indication, she's taking the bus. We have her catching it a block from Black Hawk. I need to hurry, but I'll try my best."

"Thanks. Tonight I'll teach you a little more about poker."

"And here I thought it was a fun little game."

"Not the way I play."

"You don't play it as a game at all!" she said as she headed out the door.


Agent Barnes was late and didn't get a picture of Jessica as she headed to the bus. What irked her the most was the reason she was late. Her temporary partner, and a thorn in her side, had taken his time that morning.

They sat around most of the day taking pictures of cars and drivers that visited Black Hawk. It wasn't anything more than an exercise, in a way. Theresa and Jessica, the two possible targets, were not there. Theresa, being the safest at the hospital, was being monitored by listening in to the security communications at her work. Jessica was being monitored in another fashion. She had no idea that two of the substitute teachers at her school that day were in an FBI training program. They kept their ears and eyes open for anything unusual.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.