Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 30

"You're not telling me something," I said.

"When we get in the car, and get on the road, we can talk," Agent Barnes said, in a placating voice.

I looked over to Special Agent Downs and said, "Fine, but I want answers."

It was another half hour before we were in the car and on the road. There was no question in my mind that we had just checked out. Why, and where we were going now, had not been mentioned. This was getting old.

Waiting until we were on the freeway, I again asked, "I think it's time to tell me. What's going on?"

"We're moving you," Special Agent Downs said.

"Really," I said sarcastically. "Is that why I saw you checking out? How stupid do you think I am?"

"John," Agent Barnes said, "there are a number of things in play right now. We didn't tell you last night, as well as this morning, because we hadn't mailed your letter to Jessica off yet."

"That makes a difference because?"

Agent Barnes went on, "Because we're going back. Do you know of the Holembeck House?"

"Never heard of it."

"It's two miles from where Black Hawk is," Special Agent Downs said.

"Black ... Where Jessica is?"

"Yes. There are reasons for this, and it's not for you two to see each other," Agent Barnes said apologetically.

"What's it for then? To torture me?"

"Mmm ... hadn't thought of it that way," Special Agent Downs said.

"He did too," Agent Barnes said, "but it wasn't our choice. Today is the polygraph."

"You're expecting trouble. Jessica and Theresa could be in trouble, right? That's why."

John looked out the window and felt a tear run down his cheek. The two agents up front were silent. There wasn't much they could say.


"I think Jessica has something up her sleeve," Jeanie said to her husband.

"Why do you say that? And do you want to tell me about what?" he responded.

"I didn't want to say anything to Theresa, but I asked Jessica who she invited."

"Yeah, I heard. She invited two. What's so big about that? Theresa didn't invite anyone."

"No ... I asked who they were."

"Ok," he said, pausing and knowing he wasn't going to get the information easily. "Are you going to tell me, or did you bring this up just to make idle conversation."

"Sometimes you can be an ass, you know that?"

"I guess you're not going to tell me, as now you're changing the subject."

"Fine. One of them is Fiona Bartenelli."

"A Bartenelli? She's bringing a Bartenelli here? What is she, crazy? No, you don't have to answer that. I already know the answer to that question. Who the hell is the other person?"

"That's it. She wouldn't tell me."

"Let me get this straight. She's bringing a Bartenelli, and some other stranger, to our dinner? What did you tell her?"

"She said Fiona was the black sheep of the family," Jeanie said, trying to defend herself.

"Oh? What'd she do, rat out her old man?" he said with a laugh.

"It was close to that."

Stopping the inventory check he was doing, he looked at his wife.

"You're not joking, are you?"

"No."

"It's a wonder she's still alive then."

"I don't think it's all that bad, but from what Jessica said, she wouldn't have to ask. Her family would be glad she was gone."

"Damn. So who's the other one?"

"I don't know, she wouldn't say, and that's got me a bit worried."

"Well, talk to her when she gets home from school. You have at least an hour before Theresa gets off work."

Jeanie sighed, and then said, "Yeah, I think I better. With Jessica, you never know what she's got planned."

"Maybe that hit on the head did more than the doctor knew."

"I warned you."

"Ouch! What was that for?"

"Your niece may be many things, but mental is not one of them. She's too darn smart for her own good, at times, and you need to remember that. If you piss her off, you'll be on the losing end."

"I think I already am," he said as he rubbed his arm.

"Give me a break," Jeanie said, not buying his 'pity poor me' routine.


"How is this place secure? It's just a regular house?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.