Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 2

I heard some strange noises and tried to place them. Nothing sounded even remotely familiar. My eyes didn't want to open. The harder I tried to get them to respond, the more my head hurt.

I woke, this time to talking. My eyes opened just a bit, but the light hurt.

"He's awake, Doctor."

"Hello. Good to see you back. Can you tell me your name?"

"John," I got out in a scratchy voice.

"Do you know where you are?"

"Hospital?" I guessed from what I could see.

"Do you remember what happened?"

My mind tried to think and then nothing.

"Doctor, he's back," a female voice said.

"John, you gave us a little scare there. I'll not ask any questions unless necessary. How does that sound?"

"Ok," I said.

"The nurse is going to run a series of tests. You don't have to do much, but do try and stay with us."


Two days later I was moved out of intensive care and into a regular room. My head still hurt like the devil. My leg was in a full cast. The only thing that I'd been told was that a bullet had done some damage.

I hadn't been watching TV in the intensive care room, but now that I was in a regular room the nurses would walk in and turn it on. I turned it off; I didn't want mind numbing trash bombarding me. I needed to try to remember what had happened. It wasn't all coming together.

A nurse walked into my room after I'd had lunch. She looked up at the blank screen of the TV and smiled.

"I've heard you don't want that thing on."

I instantly liked her. "That's right. There's nothing worth watching."

"Well there should be some entertainment later this afternoon," she said and then fed me my pills.

She left before I could ask what entertainment she was talking about.


I thought I was doing pretty well, although it was rather depressing. I had started to remember my job. Two days ago, I couldn't have told you if I'd ever worked a day in my life.

As soon as I had that down, there was a flash, an image out of focus. I tried to bring it back to no avail. Then almost a half an hour later, another one, this time just a little clearer. It was frustrating. I wanted to scream, but knew that would only bring a nurse and drugs.

I was so concentrated on the third image to flash in my brain, that it startled me when I felt the bed move. I opened my eyes and there was an angel at the foot of my bed. Then the image that was in my head cleared and I knew.

"Oh, God!" I cried out. "NO!"

Tears clouded my eyes and I felt myself getting sick.

My head seared with pain as I turned it, vomiting all over the floor.

Somewhere in my brain, I registered a scream and it wasn't mine.

All I could do is say, "I tried, I tried, I tried," over and over again.

I heard scurrying and hands were on my head. I blinked several times, trying to clear my eyes.

"She's gone," I said sadly. "I tried. I really did."

"It's ok," the nurse said, and handed me a cup. "Drink this and rest."

My face was cleaned. I remember seeing a shot go into the I.V. drip tube.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.