Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 28

Jessica got out of bed the next morning feeling better. Not great, but definitely better. She'd had a pretty good night's sleep and better than that, a dream. One she remembered as she was taking a shower.

In the kitchen, as Jessica got her breakfast cereal, she asked Jeanie a question.

"Do you remember when Grandma was still around and we had those big dinners on Sunday?"

A warm smile lit on Jeanie's face.

"I sure do. Those were a lot of fun."

"Do you remember the corn thing she made?"

"Spoon Bread. Of course I do," Jeanie said. Then with a little laugh, added, "And I remember how much you liked it. You'd eat it until you got sick."

"I never got sick from that!"

"Only 'cause we took the dish away from you."

"Do you know how to make it?"

"Sure. Our mom taught us."

There was a pause and Jeanie looked over at Jessica. Her mood had changed, darkened, and the facial features showed it.

"When? Why wasn't I there?" Jessica asked. Then went right on with, "We stopped having those dinners and no one taught me any of her dishes."

"Jessica, you know your grandma got too sick and then she died."

"Couldn't we ... No, I guess not."

"What? Tell me what you were going to ask."

"Couldn't we have a big dinner like that?"

"The four of us?" Jeanie asked.

"We could invite some friends," Jessica asked, almost hopefully.

"Jessica, there's one big problem I can see."

"What?"

"Sunday. We are busy with the business on the weekends, you know that."

"I know," Jessica said, sorrowfully. Then her eyes lit up. "How about Friday?"

"This Friday?"

"Yes! It would be great. I can help with everything as soon as I'm home from school. Mom is home early that day. I know it's just two days from now, but we could do it, couldn't we?"

"Wait just a minute," Jeanie said, trying to reign in Jessica's thoughts.

Jessica went right on, as though she didn't hear her Aunt. "I could invite..."

Jeanie waited for a break in Jessica's next stream of words, but didn't anticipate it would end there. She looked, wanting to know whom Jessica had thought to invite. There were tears in Jessica's eyes.

"I wish John was here," Jessica said despondently.

Jeanie sighed. She knew there was no way she could stop the dinner now. It would be a focal point Jessica could use. If Jeanie said 'no' and Jessica had a melt down, Theresa would have her head.

"Jessica," Jeanie said in a cheery voice, "I think Friday would be good. We've wanted to invite a couple over. Maybe your mom could get Jackie to come too. That is, if she doesn't have to work. What friend do you have that you'd like to invite?"

"Are you sure?" Jessica asked.

"Yes, but, you have to help."

"We're going to make Spoon Bread, too? Right?"

Jeanie laughed and said, "Yes. You know that the one you liked the best had fresh corn in it. Mom, your grandma, used canned when it wasn't in season. She adapted the recipe for you, because you threw a fit the first time it didn't have the chunks of corn in it. This time, I'm going to make sure your mother teaches you how to make it. Now get yourself ready, we need to leave in five minutes, or you'll be late for school."

"Five minutes!" Jessica screamed, as she ran down the hall.


"These are so much nicer beds," I said. "The food was a whole lot better as well. How long are we staying here?"

"Not long. Maybe a day ... two, at the most. John, don't get such a long face."

"You know, this isn't a lot of fun for me. I had a job and a pathetic life before all this started. Then, all of a sudden, life changes; and even though I have no job, I have everything else in life I ever wanted. Then, almost as quick, I'm here with you two."

"Jessica," Agent Barnes said as she rolled her eyes.

I looked at Special Agent Downs.

"I didn't say a word."

"John, really." Agent Barnes said. "You'd have to be blind, and I'm not." Then she chuckled, adding, "Then of course there was the letter you had us send. Now what's this about a job? You know they have to hold it for you."

I gave her a slight smile before answering.

"If I had made it one more day, yes ... But I was on my probation period, so my job ended when I got shot and couldn't make it in."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.