Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 25

No matter what kind of mischief she did, Jessica was the baby of the family. In some ways, spoiled, but at times like this, doted over. The doctor had Jeanie hold the bandage tightly on the wound, as he called the hospital. Theresa was looking at her daughter, but unable to really help, given the current state she was in. Jeanie's husband was getting the car and unlocking the gate, so they could leave.

Soon, everyone was in the car and they were on their way.

Jessica's head throbbed. She wasn't so timid about the blood, although she was a bit concerned that there had been so much. If Doctor Tillerman hadn't been there, things would have been a different story.

As in the case of smaller hospitals, Jackie had heard they were coming. She was down at the admitting desk, when they brought Jessica in. She took one look at Theresa, though, and knew her friend was in shock.

"Doctor Tillerman," Jackie said, "I think I'll take Theresa off to get her warmed up."

He looked over to Jackie and gave her a warm smile before saying, "That sounds like a very good idea. Let me know where you've got her, as I'm sure there will be papers to sign." Turning his attention to Jessica, he said, "Little lady, I'm going to take you back, but I won't be stitching you up."

"Stitching!" Jessica said, now realizing how bad it was.

Doctor Tillerman patted her shoulder. "Now don't you worry. That's why I called in, before we came. There's a plastic surgeon on his way to do the job." He winked at her and said, "He likes your mom very much, and he'll do a nice job on you. Afterwards you won't be able to see anything but a faint line. Lucky for you, it's right at your hairline, so even that will pretty much disappear."

Jeanie transferred her pressing on Jessica's bandage to the doctor. He walked Jessica back into a room, to get her prepped.

Jeanie looked at her husband and said, "I never realized how stressful my sister's life is."

"Honey, I don't think it's like this all the time," he replied.


My parents ended up back at their hotel room. There they watched a bit of television until they couldn't stand it any longer.

"Do you realize," my father said, "that we have no idea where John is."

"Yes. That sunk in about the time I also realized that we don't have Theresa's sister's number, either."

He pondered that, and then a smile crossed his face.

"I think I remember that one, even if I didn't, we could still we could get it."

"How's that?"

"They do run a business, and at least we know where it is, but I do remember the name. Black Hawk."

"Well, don't just sit there, get the phone book!"


Special Agent Downs sat on the bed and groaned. Agent Barnes shook her head.

"You knew this wasn't going to be the Hilton," she said.

"You're right about that ... but, really ... I think they did this on purpose."

I broke into the conversation at this point.

"This is only for one night, right?"

The two agents looked at me and I think I had my answer. It was not the one I was hoping for.

Pressing on, I asked, "What are we doing for food? We're not eating fast food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner from that place I saw down the street, right?"

I took a deep breath, as there was no good answer to that one, either.

"I hate to say this, but did anyone think about this before taking me off to 'safety?' I don't want to sound ungrateful, but somehow I think there have been some big screw ups here."

Agent Barnes apparently took that a bit personally.

"Just what more do you think could go wrong. Sorry, John, but look ... we need to keep you safe. Ok, so you can't climb stairs. First floor places are venerable. So this out of the way motel is the best they could come up with. Because it's out of the way, our food choices aren't too great. I doubt your diet would mind that much, or am I wrong about that one?"

"I was just asking a few questions," I replied. "Sorry if I offended you. There is something else no one may have thought of, but maybe they did."

"What?" she asked.

"I have limited mobility," I started to say.

She jumped in, thinking she knew where I was heading. "Downs will be able to get you up, so you can use the bathroom."

I looked at the two of them.

"I don't think you understand. After I'm upright I can pee just fine by myself, but with this cast on I can't sit on the toilet. I can't wipe myself either. The cast can't get wet, so someone has to give me sponge baths. There was good reason I was staying with a nurse."

I could almost see the unsaid struggle going on between the two agents. Special Agent Downs was the team leader, but it was very obvious Agent Barnes was not in favor of filling in as nurse.

Then a thought crossed my mind, "Did a bedpan get in with my things?"

"Bedpan?" Agent Barnes asked.

"It's how I go, you know..."

"Oh, shit," she said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.