Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 21

"Jessica," her father said as he looked outside, to see if anyone else was with her, "what are you doing here?"

"I thought you might be pleased to see me," Jessica said in an almost teasing manor. "It has been a long time. Too long, Daddy. I've been thinking that we need to have a talk, so I came over to talk with you."

He was so flabbergasted that when Jessica pushed past him and walked into the house, he continued to stand there for a moment.

"I just need to make a call. It will be quick. You do still have a phone, don't you?"

"Of course I do."

"I wasn't sure," Jessica pressed on, as she picked up the receiver of the phone that was in plain sight and punched in a number. "You never seem to be able to call me."

She then started talking to the person on the phone.

"I need a big favor. Can you pick me up from my dad's in an hour?"

After a pause, he heard her say, "I'll tell you on the way home, ok? Thanks, bye."

Her father almost didn't recognize her. She looked like his daughter, but she was a lot more self-assured, maybe grown up, from the last time he'd spent any time with her. Now she wanted to talk. He wasn't sure what about, but he guessed she'd let him know.

"Now, Daddy," Jessica said when she plopped herself down on his couch, "come over and let's talk."

At this point he was almost frightened by this girl who was his daughter. He moved, not knowing what else to do, but sat at the opposite end of the couch from her.

"What did you want to talk about?"

Jessica pursed her lips. Everything so far had been a game she could play out, and make-work. This was the defining moment and she hoped she had it in her to follow though.

"You never really wanted to have me, did you?"

His mouth dropped open and he felt flush. This was not a question. This was an accusation.

"Did your mother put you up to this?" he said with heat in his voice.

"Daddy, Mom doesn't know I came to see you, today. She has no idea that I'm here. So get that out of your mind. You can't blame her. I don't want you blaming her for what you do. You can just tell me the answer to the question. I want to know."

Jessica didn't know where she had gotten the strength to say what she had. Maybe from years of being angry with her father and now having a reason to get back. But right now she wondered if he could see her shaking, for inside, she felt like throwing up.

"Honey," he said with a voice that he was trying desperately not to wobble, "that is a question I can't answer."

"I didn't think you would. How about this one," Jessica said. "Why did you marry Mom, when you hate women so much?"

"What?" he said incredulously.

"Are you going to tell me you loved her?" Jessica asked in a way that made him want to defend himself.

"Of course I did! I wouldn't have married her if I hadn't loved her."

"So," Jessica calculating said, "what broke that love? When did it happen?"

"I don't think I should discuss things like that with you," he said, his voice betraying his ability to control himself.

"But you should," Jessica pressed on. "I have a boyfriend now and I'm worried."

"What?" he asked in shock. "A boyfriend! But Jessica, you're..."

"Old enough and getting older every day. Now, something went on between you and Mom. Am I going to turn out the same way? Is there something wrong with me?"

"Oh, baby, no ... no."

Jessica wasn't sure what her father was saying 'no' to. Her having a boyfriend or that there was something wrong with her. After this pondering thought, she realized neither had said a word in almost a full minute.

She looked at her father and saw he was crying. This was something she didn't expect, and had never seen before. Jessica had no idea what to do now.


After Theresa left, the two agents came in to see me. One of them shut the door.

"What happened to the girl? If this is what my reaction was, I can't imagine she ... Oh. Did she know?"

Agent Barnes looked at Special Agent Downs and waited for him to nod before replying.

"She's under psychiatric care right now."

"Oh, God. Those bastards," I said and then things started not to add up. "Wait. You said they lived a hundred miles from here. She did too, didn't she?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.