Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 19

My parent's arrived at two minutes after seven. Mom, with a bag of groceries in hand, went right into the kitchen. Dad was left at the door looking rather amused at Jessica's expression.

He whispered to Jessica, "She's on a warpath. My suggestion is to stay away from the kitchen."

"But I can cook just fine," she retorted.

"I'm well aware of that. So is my wife." he said. "Jessica, like it or not, she is a little threatened by you."

"What for?"

"Stealing her little boy away from her," he said with a grin. Then went on, "It doesn't make any difference that he's not 'little' anymore. It's what most mothers go through. I suppose I did just a little of that with my daughter, when she brought a boy around."

"So what can I do?" Jessica asked.

"Get yourself ready and then do whatever you do with John, before you leave for school."

Jessica raised an eyebrow and asked, "She'll let me do that?"

Snorting, he answered, "Trust me. She wants to make John remember her home cooked meals. She won't know what else is going on. I'm going in to talk with John. When you're ready, come on in. Ok?"

Jessica gave him a warm smile and went into the bathroom to get herself ready.

That is when my father came into the bedroom and sat down on the bed.

"Look at the fine mess you're in, now," he said.

"Thanks for the encouraging words, Dad," I replied.

He smiled. We both knew this was a game. Sort of saying little barbs at each other, while revealing some truth along the way. It was easier for him, as there wasn't the mushy emotions tied into bearing ones soul.

"You could have picked one just a bit older."

"I didn't have much choice. She was my only visitor in the hospital."

He stopped and looked long and hard at me. It made me feel rather uncomfortable.

Then he said, slowly, "Son, I think if you looked around, there would be a good number of choices." His hand came up to his chin and he rubbed it, and then added, "Maybe you couldn't."

This was not our typical talk. I didn't know what to do, except to clear my throat.

My father went on, "I said it last night, and I meant it. She's a keeper." He cocked his head and looked at me, "Did you know that right away?"

"Pretty much," I responded.

"Then you didn't have much choice at all. I know you haven't had a lot of experience with women, but when a special one comes along..."

"Like you and mom?"

He grinned. "Yes. Although, don't get me wrong. Nothing is perfect. It's when the relationship is worth fighting for, that the two of you will make it work."

Jessica knocked at the edge of the doorframe and then peered in.

"Come in," my father said. "Now tell me, what do you do with him in the morning?"

"First thing is that he needs to get into the bathroom. I'm surprised he didn't ask you to help him with that already."

I blushed.

My father laughed and said, "Given his expression, I think he'd rather have you do that."

"I didn't have to go so bad this morning," I blustered.

"He had a little problem last night," Jessica explained. "Mom realized one of the medications helped dilate him. In other words..."

My father took over, saying, "He had little control over his bladder. Well, that doesn't sound like much fun."

"Mom called and they cut him back to half the dose. Now, John, come on."

"It looks like you have learned some of the efficiency of a nurse," my father stated.

Jessica beamed with pride.

I had on a shirt and baggy shorts. My father looked at my outfit with interest.

"Yesterday was the first time I tried a regular pair of pants on," I said. "Well, I don't know how regular you call pants with one leg cut off, but anyway, I found that holding myself up and trying to undo my pants is a challenge I'm not up to yet."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.