Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 13

Theresa stormed into my room ten minutes later.

"I don't think semantics are funny. My daughter and sister were here, weren't they?"

"Yes."

"I have half a mind to..."

"Yes?"

She glared at me.

"Do you think I called them?" I asked. Then added, "How could I have done that? Do I have the phone number?"

I don't think she wanted to reply. Turning, she walked out of the door.

It was the last I saw of her until the shift change.

An attendant came in with a wheel chair. Jackie had got me ready. Not a word had been said about Theresa and I was wondering where I would be staying now. It was a rather sobering thought.

"She's pretty mad, you know," Jackie said to me as she was getting me situated in the chair.

"I think she's mad at all of the gossip. I just get the brunt of it, because I'm a man."

Jackie stopped what she was doing and looked me in the eye.

"Are you serious?"

"Jackie, you must know what happened with her husband."

"But..."

"Come on. You think she has a good outlook on men?"

Jackie cleared her throat and looking down, said, "No. I guess we got a bit carried away." Then she looked up at me and asked, "Then why'd she take you in?"

"Her daughter likes strays. I guess when I threw up, seeing her in that Halloween costume, that did it."

Jackie was laughing when she said, "She was screaming, you were really out of it. That was quite a mess. Yeah, Jessica is a handful; that's for sure. So she talked her mom into taking you in? Boy that sounds a bit strange if you ask me."

"Nobody did, but I'll tell you anyway. I lived on the second story of an old apartment building. I had nowhere to go. I was also getting some money from helping stop those guys, and Theresa desperately needs a new car. It works out for everyone. The only person who is having a major problem is Theresa. Most of it is past scars. Your gossip ripped those old wounds open."

"We didn't mean any harm," Jackie said a bit defensively.

"I'm sure you didn't, but that's the result."

"Joe?"

"Yes, Miss Jackie?"

"You wait right here with John. I'll be back in five minutes. Understand?"

"Got it."

As soon as Jackie left, Joe looked at me and said, "Theresa is a good lady. You hurt her and I hurt you. Understand?"

"Got it," I replied.


Jackie had my flowers in her hand. Joe was pushing me, when we went though the main entrance doors.

I would have stopped, but I wasn't in control of the wheelchair. There in front, not parked, but stopped, was Theresa's car. There was a security car and guy talking with her, outside of the car. I knew she was going to be in a very foul mood from this.

Jackie walked right up to the car and opened the door. I saw Theresa whip her head around, surprised someone had opened the door.

"Here's the vase. I guess he goes in the back?"

"Jackie!" Theresa said.

"Come on, we need to have a little talk while Joe gets him in," Jackie said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.