Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 12

Aunt Jeanie showed up with Jessica. At first I wasn't sure who it was. I'd never seen Aunt Jeanie before, and Jessica was behind a very large flower arrangement.

"Hi, John," Jessica said, rather demurely.

"They're very nice, thank you," I responded, making Jessica blush.

"I'm her Aunt Jeanie," the woman said thrusting out a hand to be taken.

"Hi, I'm John," I responded. "I've heard a lot about you."

"Most of it lies, I'm sure," Jeanie laughed.

She still had hold of my hand.

"Jessica told me some rather vivid tales..."

Jessica looked at me, wide eyed. Jeanie let go of my hand and laughed.

"Would have thought the wild tales would have come from my sister!"

"She said some rather wonderfully touching things about you," I responded.

The laughter stopped as Jeanie looked me over. Turning to Jessica, she said, "Be careful, will you."

"What?" Jessica responded.

"I'll be back in a few minutes."

With that Jeanie left. Jessica and I looked at each other.

"I'm sorry I got you in trouble," I said.

"John," Jessica said, her voice breaking, "you're ok, right?"

I took a deep breath, before saying, "Yes. They just want to keep me so they can make a few more dollars."

Jessica returned a sly smile and I thought she was going to say something, but didn't,

"How did you..."

"Know that Mom was at lunch?" Jessica grinned. "Jeanie has been around here many times. She knows who to call. You should have heard the rumors that the nurse told Jeanie. As soon as they found out that you were staying at our house..."

"I think Theresa blames me," I said.

"For what?"

"For her having to bring me back here. Now everyone knows. She didn't want that."

Jessica jumped up on my bed, sitting down on the edge. Jeanie stepping back into the room, made a disapproving noise in her throat. Jessica ignored it and looked at me.

"Mom knew that people might find out. She wasn't happy with the idea. Do you remember what I told you ... about the reason she was having a problem with bringing you home in the first place?"

"Fear of being hurt?" I answered.

"Fear of being hurt?" Jeanie repeated. Not quite understanding the full issue, added, "He's in a cast!"

Jessica rolled her eyes while looking at me, and then turned to her Aunt. "Aunt Jeanie, has Mom dated? Have you ever heard her talk about any man? She's still mad at men in general."

"So why did she take John in?"

Jessica grinned, "Me."

"You?" Jeanie said with raised eyebrows.

"She says that I can be more persuasive than a fast talking used car salesman with a gun to your head."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.