Deciding Moment - Cover

Deciding Moment

Copyright© 2008 by John Smith

Chapter 11

When Theresa got home that evening, she could tell something was up. She looked between her daughter and me.

"All right, you two. What's going on?"

"His parents called," Jessica blurted out.

Looking at her daughter for a moment, she then said, "Don't you think it was about time they called?"

"No!" Jessica answered and then ran into her bedroom.

"I'm not sure, but I think she didn't think I had parents," I responded, as Theresa was looking at me for an explanation.

A smile ran across Theresa's face, but quickly disappeared when Jessica entered the room again. Jessica had picked up a pillow and flung it at me.

Then she said, "They're coming up. They'll probably take him away."

"Is that what you're afraid of?" I asked.

I wasn't about to mention the kiss she gave me. Now it made a lot more sense, she was scared.

"Why else would they come?" Jessica asked, sullenly.

"Maybe for the same reason I would, if I were them," her mother said to Jessica. She then turned to look at me and asked, "Would they want you to come live with them?"

"Oh, I'm sure of it," I said, and heard Jessica sniffle. I went right on. "That doesn't mean that they really want me to go live with them, or that I would go."

Jessica looked up at me. She was blinking her eyes and it didn't take a rocket scientist to know she' been on the brink of crying.

"John, are ... will you be ok by yourself for a few minutes?" Theresa asked.

"I'm sure I will, why?"

"Jessica and I need to take a little drive."

"We do? Where are we going, Mom?"

"You'll see."


I was glad when they came back. A few minutes turned out to be almost two hours. Although I was getting much better with the crutches, I still couldn't stand on my own. And standing was the only way I could walk. And walking was the only way to make it to the bathroom to pee.

That wasn't the only concern that was pressing. Two hours? This was not a short conversation about my parents calling. Jessica had gone overboard. Maybe she was like this before I came, I didn't know. If she was, then I may have been blowing things out of proportion. I somehow doubt that, though. If Theresa had seen Jessica the way she had been acting when she came home from work today, I don't think I would be here right now.

As soon as the door opened, I said, "Theresa, I need a little help."

She came over to me, and in a frank manner, said, "What."

"I need to stand, so I can get to the bathroom."

"And you asked me?"

I could tell there was a bit of animosity in her voice that hadn't been there before. It was then I realized Jessica hadn't come in with her.

"You happen to know how to get me upright much quicker. A few minutes is a lot different than a few hours. I'd rather not make a mess."

She didn't say a word, but went to work getting me upright with the efficiency of a nurse. I took hold of my crutches and hobbled into the bathroom.

When I came out, Theresa was in the living room. There was no Jessica. As I crutched back, I felt a lump in my throat. I liked Theresa. My thoughts started swirling around, and many of them were not very nice.

As tears started to come to my eyes, I said, "I'm sorry."

She watched me. I saw her stand quickly. She saw what I hadn't. That was, until it was too late. I hadn't paid enough attention to my crutch and it caught the edge of the sofa. I started to go down. She was there, but not fast enough. My head hit the wall.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.