Australian Story - Cover

Australian Story

Copyright© 2008 by Oz Ozzie

Chapter 10: Detention

Saturday 21-April 2007

At the end of a long day, Chris collapsed into his bed groaning. He'd got up at six a.m. on a Saturday to do his parent stuff early, so he could go to play soccer with his mates, a Saturday morning practice for the trials. They'd practised twice during the week, but he'd only been able to make one of them, and then only by getting up early and going to bed late.

What a relief! The parent thing was over. He had no idea how Shahia did it. He couldn't imagine looking ahead in his life and only seeing a long line of days full of parenting coming his way. But it was a little bittersweet. In spite of the problems — or maybe it was because of them — he felt like he knew Jay and Bec far better than before. When his parents had gone out for dinner the night before, both Jay and Bec had been great, helping him cheerfully, and he'd felt a rush of affection for them. Was this what family was about?

"Chris, can you come downstairs for a second?"

He groaned to himself. What now? But he hopped out of bed and dragged himself down the stairs.

He found his parents sitting around the table with a bottle of champagne open, and three glasses in front of them.

In silence, he sat down, and his dad handed him a glass.

"A toast, to Chris. A celebration of great achievement, and anticipation of much to come."

After they clinked their glasses, Chris sipped at this champagne, choked with emotion.

"Chris, you've done really well this week, far better than we expected. We're very impressed."

"Thanks."

"What did you learn?"

"Well, of course, I learnt how hard Shahia has to work. But I knew that before I started."

"Uh huh."

"I learnt something different, something I didn't expect."

"What was that?"

Chris sipped his drink, struggling to put words to his thoughts.

"I don't know, don't really know how to say it.

"I guess that I value my family a lot more after doing it. There's no way I could let it go, leave without missing you all, like sometimes I had thought that I would."

His parents nodded, all smiles.

"You've got no idea how good that makes us feel."

His mum swept them into a group hug. Chris hadn't had one of those since, he couldn't remember when. Hadn't ever wanted one. But it was good. Pleasant, and comforting. Just something else that Shahia wouldn't be getting.

When they parted, his dad had one last thing to say. "Chris, as of now, we're ending your virtual curfew. You really, really, thoroughly deserve that."

Chris looked at them in surprise. He'd forgotten about it; he just called them all the time anyway. Funny how you could get used to something like that, even come to value the knowledge that they cared to know where you were, that you were okay.


Tuesday 24-April 2007

When Shahia came into the classroom, he gave her quick hello, not as exuberant as early the week before. She barely glanced at him, like she'd done every morning since his heroes talk. Today was time to make another approach, though Chris wasn't exactly sure how. Today was also First Eleven trial day.

Butthead Hanson had a different idea altogether. It started in English period, just before lunch. Once again, he was writing on the board. With his back turned, someone in the class had made a paper dart, and it had flown across the room. Chris had his head down writing an assignment, and just saw it out of the corner of his eye. It had landed on the floor next to Shahia. On impulse, she'd picked it up, made some alterations to its trim, and launched it across the room, watching it glide sedately towards the door.

Butthead Hanson had turned around just as she launched it into the air.

"Shahia!"

It was almost comical, the surprise and disbelief that crossed her face. Chris could well believe it, the disbelief that she'd done something so impulsive. Then her face fell, as she knew what was coming. Chris gasped. What could she do if she got a detention?

"I guess you really wanted a detention, then?" as he walked towards her.

At the last minute he turned towards Chris. "Unless Chris would like to take your detention for you again?"

Chris froze. A detention would mean missing the soccer trials. Missing the soccer trial through detention would mean not making the First Eleven. Especially after being dropped from the cricket team for getting too many detentions. But really, much as he wanted to be in the soccer team, there was far more at stake here.

"It would be an honour, sir."

Chris heard the gasps of surprise in the room. This time there was no doubt that Shahia was guilty.

"So you'd be happy to miss out on the soccer trials then."

Chris swallowed. "No, sir, but I'd do it anyway." He could see the absolute amazement in the other faces in the room.

"Okay, then, both of you have detentions, you can keep each other company." His vicious little smirk as he turned away demonstrated his satisfaction at the outcome.

Chris burned with anger. Hate was too weak a word. What an absolute prick! He didn't say a word for the rest of the session, could barely think for a while. But then he noticed the expression on Shahia's face, and pulled himself under control. That had been a far more direct approach than he wanted.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.