Hope - Cover

Hope

©Poet of the Shadows AKA Shadowpoet

Chapter 16

"We have arrived at the final hours that brought me to this point in time. Even now, everything is as clear as if it had just happened, the haunting conversation with Fang and Shadow, the pain, Hope's tears, and the screaming.

After I came around from the initial shock and my brain was again functional, we restarted our mental conversation with the wolves. They relayed a story of torment and abuse beyond anything we had ever known. They told of how they had discovered their powers around the age of 14 and how they had stupidly flaunted those powers. Soon after, they were discovered by an unknown government agency calling themselves "Grey Ops". This shadow agency convinced them that the government was enlisting the help of people with special talents for top secrete operations. They were recruited, so to speak, after somehow convincing both sets of parents to sign over their parental rights.

On their way to the military base, they learned their file was code named "Pandora's Box". The base was under a mountain in northern Pennsylvania. Once there, they found they had been lied to from the very beginning. They were caged like wild animals and eventually they were separated as their new powers began to awaken. Not only could Lauren (Shadow) and Charlie (Fang) mind-speak but also both had learned they could shape-shift. Lauren and Charlie mind-spoke regularly and decided they should try shape-shifting into wolves to see if this might scare their captives and aid in their escape.

Their plan did not go as expected. When their jailers discovered wolves occupying the cages of the kids, they assumed the captives had escaped. The wolves were shot with tranquilizers and dumped here in the forest. After waking in the forest, they discovered that they were unable to shape-shift back into their human form.

That was two years ago. It was then they sensed two blossoming powers nearby and knew they had to protect them from the same fate they had endured.

What happened next happened so fast that it is hard to remember everything. Seemingly, out of nowhere six figures in urban camouflage surrounded us. Darts flew into Fang and Shadow and they collapsed. Hope and I stared at these masked intruders into our space. As if we were of one mind and at the same instant, we declared war. Together, it seemed we were unstoppable. Using our minds, we concentrated on our surroundings. As we concentrated, the ground around us appeared to rise up and hurl itself at our attackers. The rocks and other debris completely disabled to the soldiers. That is, all but one. Then it happened.

The last standing soldier had a gun pointed directly at Hope. I could see his finger begin to pull the trigger and I threw myself in front of her. At the same moment the gun went off the soldier was hit in the head by a rock, rendering him unconscious.

The bullet struck me full in the chest and I fell. Hope screamed out in terror. Then I felt her lift me and coddle me like she did when my twin died, her tears falling on me like rain. I whispered I love you as my world went black. Am I the hero you called me when we began this saga? I don't know."

Leon finally opened his eyes, seated in front of him was an old gentleman, an angelic looking figure. Leon looked into those calming blue eyes, waiting for an answer.

The old man began to speak by introducing himself as Saint Peter, Heavens Gatekeeper. He said, "Oh Leon, your story is not yet done. You are not dead, only deeply sleeping. Soon you will wake, and then your real adventure shall begin. It is time for you to go now".

There was a brilliant white flash and everything faded out.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.