Hoot - Cover

Hoot

Copyright© 2007 by Zaffen

Chapter 5

It was Saturday, no snow, sunshine, mild in the upper 40's, and Jamie had received permission to go hunting again but squirrels were not all he was hunting. Jamie hoped that Sherry would be there as they had agreed to try to meet again today to go hunting.

Jamie thought, For no longer then they got to talk, Sherry seemed like a very nice young lady, and Jamie definitely wanted to get to know her better.

Jamie was not exactly running but he was not exactly dragging his feet either, and he arrived at the old logging road in half the time it usually took. He did not see Sherry anywhere and, a felt just a little disappointed, hoping that she wasn't here just because he was early.

Hoot had not given any indication that anyone was around so it was a shock when Hoot let out a surprised YELP, Jamie levitated about three feet straight up, and yelled, "Ach, " when Sherry quietly said, "Hello," behind them.

Jamie was finally able to get his heart rate and breathing somewhat under control, and he squeaked, "Say what?"

Sherry was laughing so hard she was rolling on the ground holding her sides.

Hoot was looking at Jamie with a hangdog look since he had not smelled Sherry but Jamie knelt down and reassured Hoot it was not his fault. Jamie realized that the wind had been behind them, which meant their scent was preceding them while Sherry's scent was blowing away from Hoot and Jamie.

Jamie sat on a large rock beside Hoot to let his shaking legs recover, waiting for Sherry to calm down.

Sherry was finally able to bring her laughter to a hiccupping semi-stop and said, "I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. I saw you and Hoot coming up the road and knew that you probably couldn't catch my scent so I just sat still behind the brush."

Jamie could see the humor in the situation and was not upset or angry. Who could be angry with someone so sweet, especially with someone that looked like an angel? Jamie just smiled at her and said, "Payback will occur when you least expect it."

The look on her face was priceless; it was a cross between astonishment and a deer in the headlights.

Now, it was Jamie's turn to crack up and Sherry tackled him.

This resulted in a tangle of laughing, barking, confused arms, legs, and a tail.

When finally, they ran out of breath, and were sitting side by side on the ground with Hoot between them, they smiled at each other and knew that they were friends and partners. It did not matter that they were boy and girl, the bond was there.

Sherry fluttered her eyelids and asked, "You still want to go hunting?"

"Did you mention Hunting?" Jamie asked a deadpan expression on his face.

At this, they both cracked up again.


Pate mused, There had been no sighting of Tommy Daniels, it was as if the earth had opened up and swallowed him whole. Pate did not know how close he was to correct.

Dr. Parker had promised the autopsy report by Monday afternoon, barring unforeseen complications, and the State forensic lab was sure their report would be available by then as well, with much the same caveat.

With things on hold until those two things were ready, and everything else under control for the moment, Pate decided to spend time with Anna. He thought, Now, that was a hard decision, NOT!

Passing the old logging road on his way to the Edward's house, Pate noticed Jamie sitting on a rock beside Hoot and another boy, so he pulled in to say hi. Imagine Pate's surprise when he found out that the other boy was actually a young lady.

Jamie introduced Sherry to Pate and explained how they had met.

Sherry seemed very nice and, after chatting a few minutes, Pate wished them a good day, and continued the short distance remaining in his journey.

Arriving at Anna's, a vision of loveliness met Pate at the door. He had to pause to catch his breath, and just drink in the sight because he could not get his tongue and lips to coordinate enough to make intelligent sounds.


Anna had decided that she needed to maximize what time that she and Pate were able to be together, and, in the spirit of that intention, Anna had chosen to dress in a dark blue lightweight sundress that matched her eyes, sandals, and no underwear.

Anna was also aware that the fairly, thin material would not hide much at all, and knew that the light from the windows in the kitchen would silhouette her as she stood in the front doorway.

Having seen Pate pull to a stop out front, Anna opened the door before he could knock.

The effect was everything she had hoped for and then some. Pate seemed frozen in place, his mouth working like a fish out of water, with little gasping, "Wha, wha's," the only sounds he seemed capable of making and his eyes were as big as Silver Dollars, with a slightly glazed look to them.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.