The Overlords' Gambit - Cover

The Overlords' Gambit

Copyright© 2007 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 31

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 31 - Amanda finds that life on Narlass is never going to be as simple as she hopes. The intrigue and conspiracy are far from over, and she will be pulled into events that go beyond what she had ever imagined. The Overlords plot to take down an Emperor, but he is forewarned. And now the Nobility are poised to step into the fray. Is civil war on the horizon? As for the merchant Jollis, he seems to have his OWN agenda.<br>Note: 3rd story in the Narlass series. You should read the previous stories.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Romantic   Magic   Slavery   Fiction   BDSM   DomSub   MaleDom   FemaleDom   Spanking   Rough   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

The first rays of morning sun were only just clearing the trees that lined one side of the large field along the mainland side of Lord Duric's palace when a second sun burst into brief, fiery brilliance in a flash of lightning and crack of thunder.

General Yollon V'ojo looked on with a stoicism that was at odds with the sense of awe he was actually feeling at the sight. Directly before the commander of Duric's army, an already large globe of energy expanded with such rapidity that he nearly took a step back from it. Finally it stopped and seemed to shudder for a moment, energy forking across its surface with hissing violence. The next moment, it collapsed upon itself with a hollow boom that made his ears ring, only to expand into a bright blue tunnel that extended into the distance.

The Portal was open.

Yollon surveyed it for a moment, then turned. He now faced the first regiment of Duric's army, standing in rows at attention. The rest were at ease and were supposed to resume training until it was their turn, but many had stopped to witness the opening of the Portal, as they had never seen such a thing.

Yollon noticed some of the men looking nervous at the sight of the bloated Portal opening. Rather than chastise them for cowardice, he chose a different tack.

"Hold at attention!" he barked to the regiment. He swiftly turned and marched into the Portal without hesitation. The moment he crossed the threshold, he turned into a shadowy visage of himself and disappeared into the distance in a flash.

There was a long, silent pause.

It happened again in reverse. A shadow appeared and raced towards them, stopped, and resolved itself into Commander Yollon.

Most of the men that had appeared nervous before now quickly wiped that look from their faces. Yollon simply nodded at them.

"First echelon!" Yollon bellowed.

As one, the first row of men curled their right hands into fists and struck it against their chest with an audible thump, calling out, "Ready!"

Yollon stood aside. "MARCH!"

The men peeled off and formed an evenly-spaced and well disciplined line as they streamed into the Portal.

"Second echelon!"

Thump. "Ready!"

"MARCH!"

Lord Duric watched from a balcony, his breath steaming before his face, his arms folded tightly around his chest against the chill. He rather admired Yollon's discipline and the loyalty he inspired in the men. He was very grateful that Yollon had been one of the most attentive to Amanda's dissertation on Selemas Keep. He had even thanked Duric for it later that day.

But Duric was still rather stunned about what had happened just a short time ago, just before the dawn.

Duric had decided to address the men after they had assembled in the field. He had not been prepared for the thunderous response. He had been told that the soldiers were of high spirits, but he had not thought it would be to that degree.

Duric had not realized how much of an inspiration he had been to his people the few years he had been in charge of Keyas. Apparently his thoughts and ideas resonated with the masses to a degree he had barely imagined.

Originally, this was to be an army under the combined banners of Duric and Roquan. But after this, he decided his army would march under his name alone. He hoped Roquan would understand. It was important that his men remained focused, and their focus needed to be tangible. Roquan -- or any Overlord, for that matter -- was a nonentity to them.

"My Lord?"

Duric lingered for another few moments before leaving the balcony in two long strides, still feeling a bit awestruck by the whole thing. "Yes, Farro, what is it?"

Farro hesitated a moment. "It has come to my attention... well, a rumor has come to my attention..."

Duric smirked. "Out with it, Farro. What have I done now?"

Farro actually managed a small, wry smile at this. "The rumor, as I take it, says you are interested in traveling with the army into battle."

"Into battle? Oh, no, not at all. That would be foolish of me. I know nothing of fighting a war. That is what Yollon is for."

Farro brightened. "Ah, good, I was hoping you would..."

"No, I intend to stay at the base camp outside Overlord Weton's Manor."

Farro faded. "I beg your pardon?"

Duric paused and took a deep breath. "Yes, it sounds like a foolish notion, doesn't it? It's a leader's job to remain safely ensconced in his palace, where he can command things from afar. Who needs to be there when a few well-placed Farview pearls will do?"

"Well... yes, exactly. But you do not believe this is sufficient."

"Farro, what is motivating these men?"

"I would like to say it's the cause that they are to fight for."

Duric shook his head. "I doubt they truly understand the implications of it. They only know that I have told them there is an enemy to be fought. It's me, Farro. They are doing this for me."

Farro paused a long moment and then nodded. "Yes, they are."

"In a way, it's not right. It's too much power for one man to have. One man having too much power is why we are doing this in the first place."

Farro said nothing.

Duric sighed. "But we're stuck with what we have. I feel responsible for them. I need to be there. They need to see me there. They need to know that this is important enough that I will make the effort to be there. Otherwise, if things start getting difficult, they may not find the inspiration to continue."

"I guess I had not quite looked at it that way, my Lord," Farro said quietly. After a moment of thought, he nodded. "I agree with you."

Duric's eyebrows shot up. "You do? Well! This is indeed a momentous day!"

Farro blinked. "My Lord, I didn't meant to imply..."

Duric laughed out loud and clapped him hard on the shoulder. "You and Roquan! I really need to work on both your senses of humor!"

Farro managed a weak smile, though he was still quite wary of the idea of Duric being gone with the army and quite possibly in danger if things went wrong. If they had been wrong about the strength of the Emperor's remaining legion, the army could be quickly overrun, and Duric would find himself at the front.

Or worse: behind enemy lines.

"If you are to be gone, my Lord, there is the matter of your slaves," said Farro.

"Oh? What about them?"

"To whom will you entrust their care while you are gone?"

"Ah! You are welcome to keep Tanyee at your side while I am absent. I know she will fare well with you."

Farro smiled in appreciation. "Thank you, my Lord. And Amanda?"

"I was considering taking her along with me."

Farro looked askance at this. "Are you sure that is wise, my Lord? Will it be safe for her there?"

"As safe as it will be for me. Amanda is a smart girl, Farro. She can look after herself."

Farro nodded. He had to admit that some of his reluctance was self-serving. He rather fancied Amanda himself, and was rather taken by her intelligence. He didn't want her for sex, he wanted to talk to her instead.

It was only then that he realized with some astonishment that he himself was as much a "radical thinker" as was his Lord.


Vanlo hated doing this by torchlight. The sunlight always provided a far better illumination to read the nuances in his chemical mixtures. Yet he did not want to risk Jollis happening by while he was holding the critical flask up to the light. In his mind, the merchant had yet to discern what Vanlo had done. He did not want to risk discovery now when he was so close.

And the reality, as it turned out, was such that he hardly needed the extra light. It was quite clear to him as soon as he lifted the flask to his eyes what the result was.

Vanlo took a deep breath and let it go slowly through his nose as he set the flask down.

He was not sure how he was supposed to feel at this point. Was he supposed to feel a sense of victory that he had unmasked the perpetrator of the crime against him? Or a sense of elation that he no longer had to wonder who did it? Instead, he felt a sense of sorrow. Not for Jollis or for himself, but at the situation, that things had come down to this. The revelation of the Imperial agent disguised as a slave had been enough of a shock to Roquan. This went far beyond that.

Vanlo glanced towards the door. He knew that Lanno was waiting impatiently for an answer back at the office. Nevertheless, he could take no chances that Jollis would discover what he had did after the fact. He carefully cleaned up his experiment, dumping out all his chemicals and mixtures into the chamberpot, where the spell on it would transport the waste to the sanitary field outside the Manor. He rinsed out the flasks and tubes and set them out to dry before heading out.

Lanno was indeed waiting for him, arms folded and glowering. He was about to say something when Vanlo quickly raised a hand and silenced him with a stern look.

Vanlo closed the door behind him. "Are there any patients in the reception area?" he asked softly.

"None, Vanlo, it has been a quiet morning."

"Are you quite sure?"

Lanno gave an exasperated sigh. "Yes! Now what's the verdict?"

"You will keep your voice down," Vanlo said firmly. "My experiment has confirmed the identity of my assailant. It was indeed the Tradesman Jollis. His hairs precisely match the genetic signature of the hair found in the Jonalla."

"That little bastard," Lanno snarled. "I should have known he was not to be trusted all along."

"Because he is from a foreign land, Lanno?" Vanlo asked with a bit of disdain in his voice as he stepped up to Lanno.

"I did not say that!"

"But I can tell it is what you are thinking. And it is thinking like that which will do no one any good. You had no reason not to trust him, Lanno, it is foolish to think otherwise. I had no suspicions of him either until fairly recently."

"All right, all right, fine. So now the big question is: why did he do it?"

"That will be for the Overlord to determine."

Lanno rolled his eyes. "Oh come on, Vanlo! You cannot tell me that you're not curious! This was your head he screwed with."

"I am indeed curious, Lanno, but to engage in rampant speculation is to go nowhere fast. And if Roquan finds out and wishes me to know, he will inform me as soon as convenient."

Lanno snorted. "You're being rather casual about this."

"I am being practical, not casual."

"If it were me, I would be chomping at the bit to know. I would want to be involved."

"And that, my dear Lanno, is the difference between the two of us in this matter. I do not want to be involved."

Lanno gave Vanlo a very confused look.

Vanlo uttered a tired sigh. "I am a Healer, Lanno. I would like to think a very good one. I have dedicated my life to it. It is all I have ever wanted to do. Why do you think I do not wish to return to the Guild Hall?"

Lanno just shrugged. He had no idea.

"I have no taste for politics. Master Healers at the Guild spend more time in politics than they do treating patients. And even then, I have heard that their choice of patients, or even the remedies they prescribe, are politically motivated."

He turned away from Lanno and stepped over towards the table where he once had his experimental apparatus. He stared at the empty space as if he had conjured up one in his head and was watching it with his mind's eye. "I have become involved in political games, Lanno. That is all this is. The Emperor's actions, the Conclave, the Noble Lords' reaction, Jollis' actions against me, all of it. Politics. I wish no part of it."

Lanno could sense the bitter resentment in Vanlo's voice. He had no way of knowing that it was evidence of a deeper conflict in Vanlo. The aging Healer still brooded over what to do about his conclusions concerning the Draught. Could that be considered getting involved in politics? Could he explain that away as mere concern over the well-being of the slaves? For being so concerned over the very thing that helped them become slaves in the first place?

"Sorry, I didn't know," Lanno said, realizing that it was a feeble response, but he had nothing else to offer. "So... when will you inform Roquan about this?"

Vanlo paused a long moment. "I am not sure," he said tonelessly.

"Shouldn't he know right away?"

He turned to face Lanno. "I cannot risk Jollis overhearing. You would be surprised how much can be heard by simply standing outside the Overlord's door and listening without announcing oneself."

I will have to remember that one, Lanno thought. "Perhaps you should invite him to the office here instead. It's harder to eavesdrop on someone in here."

Vanlo considered and then shook his head. "If Jollis were to see that, it would tip him off immediately that something was amiss, as the Overlord rarely comes to the Healer Office."

"Then meet him somewhere else when you'd be out of your office anyway. Like your midday constitutional."

Vanlo's eyebrows rose. "That is a most excellent idea, Lanno. You are good for something after all."

"Oh, well... hey!"

Vanlo smiled and winked.


Lord Uras frowned deeply as he helped himself to a bottle of amber-colored liquor in Tarras' room. "Things are not sitting well with the other Lords," he said as he splashed a generous portion into a crystal goblet. He picked it up and swirled it around, taking a long drink before speaking again. "They are about one step away from revolt."

"I am not surprised to hear this," said Tarras calmly, his hands folded behind him.

"But not all of them, gods damn it! Some have actually left already."

"That does not surprise me, either."

"Great," Janna groaned, her arms folded across her chest, a gesture reminiscent of her cousin Duric. "Now we'll be looking over our shoulders all the time wondering if they're going to betray us later."

Tarras raised an eyebrow. "Betray? That's a rather strong word, isn't it?"

"Blast it, she's right, Tarras!" Uras declared, nearly sloshing the brandy onto the floor. He stepped over to them. "I told Duric right from the start we need to watch for this sort of thing. People thinking they have a better opportunity in the Emperor. They will be sorely disappointed once Z'haas has what he wants."

"I meant merely that they are opportunists and not traitors. They see nothing viable coming out of the current crisis."

Uras glowered. "You mean there's nothing in it for them."

"Precisely."

"Look, none of this matters," said Janna. "What matters is what I need to do next. Duric's army is transporting today. He needs that information, and soon."

Tarras nodded solemnly.

Uras raised a speculative eyebrow. "What in hellfire are you two talking about?"

Tarras briefly explained Janna's dilemma and her task. He left out the parts about them being tracked by their possessions or Janna's solution to it. As Tarras had predicted, Uras balked. "Are you insane?"

"No, he's not insane," Janna cut in. "I am."

"My dear, I seriously think you should reconsider this action. This is not the kind of job for..."

"A woman?" Janna said in a tone that practically dared him to admit it.

"Now, I was not going to say that!"

"Oh, yes you were. And I don't care, Lord Uras. Duric is depending on me to do this, and it would be irresponsible of me to abandon it. Without that information, the Imperial patrols will find his army before he has a chance to get close enough." She turned away from Uras, who was too stunned by the rebuke to respond, and spoke to Tarras. "Tarras, you know the most of all of us in this room about military matters. Duric wants some idea of how many forces Z'haas is holding back for defense. You have any idea?"

Tarras considered for a moment. "I saw only one legion training in the grounds north of the Palace," he said. "While their discipline was admirable, it was not up to Imperial guard caliber. It is my guess that is the legion being left behind, and that they are arrayed about the palace and the Imperial City."

Janna seemed to relax. "So, only one."

"At least one," Tarras corrected. "That is all I saw. It does not mean there is not more."

"But obviously not the best troops," Uras cut in. "That could give Duric the advantage!"

"If his troops are as well-trained as the Emperor's. I doubt this, however."

"Dammit, Tarras, we need something to hold onto here!"

"Oh, there is something to hold onto, Uras. Wars are won on morale as much as they are won on men and force of arms. Duric is a charismatic leader, I am given to understand. If he can inspire his troops, that can give him an edge. Imperial soldiers are very well-trained, but tend to treat their position as a job, a duty, rather than as a cause."

"But not if he's woefully outnumbered," Janna cut in.

Tarras paused and then nodded. "True."

Janna rubbed her temples. This was more information than she needed. She just wanted to get her piece done and get out of the palace before the Emperor found out what she did. This was already turning into far more than she had bargained for. She had hoped that whatever Duric was to ask of her, it would be more political in nature.

She turned back to Tarras. "All this speculation is useless. I need to start planning this out. I need to get him that information soon."

Tarras nodded and reached into his tunic, pulling out a carefully folded piece of parchment. He unfolded it and smoothed it out atop his desk. It was a sketch of the layout of one of the levels of the Imperial Palace with various notations.

"Janna, your best bet is to start here," Tarras said. He planted a fingertip in the gardens. "Then use the service entrance to the south that the landscapers use..." He drew a finger down and then to the right. "... and follow along the side of the Palace..."

Uras took another long draw of his brandy and leaned over for a better look. Janna suddenly pointed at something. "Wait, is this accurate here?" she asked.

"As accurate as I could make it. Why?"

"Isn't this the river? The path looks a bit thin here."

"Yes, but it's used by the Palace staff to get at the bushes along the sides here, to keep them trimmed. You should be able to get by."

"If not, I have to wade in the river," mused Janna.

"I would not advise that."

"Why? Too deep?"

A very small hint of a smile touched Tarras' lips. "Too cold."

Janna nodded quickly, though there was a slight pinkish glow to her cheeks.

Uras frowned in confusion. "Why should that matter?" he demanded.

"Ah, nothing, Lord Uras," said Tarras. "Please, don't trouble yourself with the details."

Janna forced herself to concentrate on the makeshift map. "And here? This is the portico where I come in? And this is the tower?"

"Yes. Move swiftly to this room here. If Q'yros is as meticulously neat as I hear, it should be easy to find the information. You can Farview Duric and he can have an archivist quickly transcribe it as you show it over the Farview."

Janna swallowed and nodded again. "All right. Doesn't look so hard. They'll never know I was there."

"And the guards?" Uras asked ominously.

"She will encounter no guards outside," Tarras said. "And the periphery of the palace is sparse in that regard. Z'haas is so worried about a palace coup that he has concentrated most of his guards around the Lords' quarters. Which is why I truly hope we do not lose too many more Lords early. I do not want him relaxing his current stance."

"Surely they have a guard for something as important as this!"

Tarras paused and nodded. "Yes, exactly one guard. Which is the sticking point in the plan."

Janna suddenly turned her gaze to Tarras and gave him a quizzical look.

Tarras ignored it for the moment. He leaned over the map. "But... I may have an idea. All we need is to draw the guard away from his post for a short time. Just long enough for Janna to slip inside, find the information, Farview it, and get back out."

"And how do you intend to do that?" Uras demanded.

Tarras straightened up. "Observation and some experimentation has told me that Q'yros has various magical 'tripwires' about the Palace that indicate when people are going where they should not. There is a nearby area here..." He pointed on the map. "... just around the corner on the corridor to the tower. I shall make a nuisance of myself here and draw off the guard."

His mention of magical "tripwires" was more or less the truth as far as it went. He simply left out the detail about the spell tied to their possessions. He did not want to hint too strongly about exactly what Janna was going to be doing.

Uras frowned. "Isn't that dangerous for you, Tarras?"

Janna was not enamored of it, either.

"Yes, but I am the most likely candidate. I have already been personally confronted by Q'yros once for poking around where I should not. He will be expecting me to do something. It will likely draw not just that guard but several more. It should be quite a sight."

Tarras smiled, but Janna was anything but in the mood for amusement.

Neither was Uras. "The last thing we need is you getting arrested!" Uras thundered. He tipped back the goblet and finished the rest of the brandy, letting it blaze a trail down his throat.

"I have no intention of letting that happen. But this is the only way to deal with this issue. I simply have to hope that a palace full of indignant Lords will stay the Emperor's hand in treating me harshly for trespassing on an area that he never formally declared was restricted in the first place."

Uras snorted. "With all the stupid games Z'haas has been playing with us, I would still not put it past him." He put the goblet down with a thump and headed to the door. "I will leave this in your capable hands. I will try not to worry about it." He opened the door and turned towards them, frowning. "And I will likely fail in that regard!"

He pulled the door closed with a slam.

Janna turned to Tarras, putting one hand indignantly on her hip. "Okay, care to explain to me how you knew there is exactly one guard?"

Tarras smiled. "Why, I investigated for myself, of course. Late last night before I came to your quarters."

"Late last... wait a minute. You actually went up to him? Won't that put him on alert now?"

"No, for I was not tracked."

Janna paused for a long moment. Her eyes suddenly widened. "Is that why you felt so cold when you joined me in bed?"

Tarras smiled.

"You're insane."

"Yes, there is that."

Janna could not help herself. She laughed.

"But I have at least proven the theory that it is by our possessions that we are being tracked," said Tarras. "And I have discovered one little snag you need to be aware of." He pointed to the map again. "You are actually correct in your assessment here. You will indeed need to wade in the river. And it is indeed gods-damned cold."

Janna chuckled at this. She was actually relieved. She still did not like the idea that he had taken such a risk, but she was grateful for it. He had blazed the trail for her, now she could proceed with a little more confidence.

She turned to him and embraced him, giving him a long, lingering kiss.

"Mmm... perhaps I should traverse the palace in the buff more often?" Tarras asked with a sly smile.

"I would much rather prefer you confine that to my quarters," Janna said in a sultry voice. She reached down and slipped her hand over his nether regions. "Or yours for that matter."

Tarras reached down and placed his hand over hers, gripping it lightly. "Are you sure you want to do this now?"

Janna paused, then pressed her hand into him again. "Yes."

"You're going to make me feel attached to you at this rate, Janna," Tarras said softly, his voice turning husky.

"Good. Since I'm already attached to you. And I want to see you come through this intact."

Tarras lifted his hand. Janna drew in her breath and let it go as a moan as he squeezed one breast through her dress. "And I wish you to do so as well, my dear."

"I'll try, Tarras, I really will... but now... please... I need you..."

Tarras smiled, nodded, and took her to his bed.


For the first time since she had come to the Manor, Sirinna wished she had not been in the presence of her Overlord.

At first, she had been grateful to see Roquan come into her quarters just before midday. He had been so busy lately that he had little time for her, and she had hoped he was coming to tell her to present herself at his quarters later that evening.

It would have helped her deal with her feelings for Amanda. She was upset that Amanda had not Farviewed her. She knew from Jollis that it was just not possible for Amanda to Farview at the moment, but it did not make the pain any less easy to bear.

And now to hear what she had just heard about Jollis.

The silence in the room was almost palpable. Roquan had not made a sound after hearing the words of his senior Healer, words that Sirinna knew she should pay no mind to, as it was every slave's duty to let their Masters have their secrets. Outwardly, she said and did nothing to indicate that she was even listening.

Roquan finally spoke. "Surely you are mistaken, Vanlo," he said in a flat voice.

Vanlo had expected this. It would be the first time that the Overlord had so openly speculated that his Healer was wrong. He remained calm, hands folded behind him. "I wish I were, your Lordship," he said simply.

He offered nothing more. He had no need to prove himself to Roquan. He knew that the Overlord's statement was more from disbelief than the notion that Vanlo had erred on something as serious as this.

It was obvious that Roquan was struggling for the right words, and he grew all the more frustrated the more those words eluded him. "Hellfire, Vanlo!" he finally exclaimed. "What motive would he possibly have to do such a thing?!"

"That, unfortunately, has proven elusive, your Lordship. Neither Lanno nor myself can come up with anything definite. There is, however, the most obvious one, that he an agent for another power."

Roquan bristled. "Jollis is not an Imperial Agent!"

Vanlo shook his head. "Nor do I believe that either. Given the Emperor's current propensities and saber-rattling at foreign powers, he is unlikely to employ an agent of foreign descent."

"I do not like the implication you are making, Vanlo! You are all but stating that Jollis is an agent for a foreign power. A power to the west. The one that Z'haas has been trying to convince us is the enemy!"

Roquan's voice rose until he was nearly yelling. Sirinna only barely managed not to wince. She didn't care to see Roquan this upset, even if he were not upset with her.

But then she thought that he might be if he knew what was going on in her head. She was actually listening to the discussion in order to comprehend it. She could not help it. Jollis had been so involved with Amanda -- and still was, from his Farviews with her -- that this could be important for her to understand. She tried to rationalize it by saying she would naturally be protective of someone she had trained that was abroad for the first time, but she was just fooling herself.

Yet she had to fool herself. It was the only way she could find to balance her love of Amanda with her duties as a slave.

"I will admit that all the evidence pointing that way is circumstantial," explained Vanlo. "We have nothing definite."

Roquan started to pace around the room. Sirinna sat down on her bed to get out of his way. Her eyes followed him as he walked. "It still makes no sense. Jollis has been helping me. He has procured goods for me. He has given me valuable information. He helped me contact the right people in the Imperium to attempt the coup..."

"Which failed."

Roquan frowned deeply. "Vanlo... You are not suggesting that Jollis was responsible for that bloodbath?"

Sirinna's eyes widened before she could catch herself. Fortunately Roquan did not notice it. She did not know much about what was going on. What little she did know, she did not understand completely. Politics were beyond her reasoning. But now she had the association set up in her mind between Jollis and something violent.

Suddenly she was glad that Amanda was not there.

"I am simply pursuing the line of reasoning you have opened, your Lordship."

Roquan sighed heavily. "I still do not understand. If he were an agent, then, to what purpose? He has done nothing but assist me."

Vanlo considered. "He is rather good at what he does, is he not?"

"Extremely good. He has pulled off miracles for me."

"Hmm. Indeed. I would take it that he delivers goods quickly? As he did the bottle of wine I had requested as a ruse?"

"Yes, Vanlo, he has indeed delivered things quickly," Roquan said, the exasperation in his voice growing. "He has a very well-connected network in Oceanus. All good merchants do."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.