The Kids From Folden - Cover

The Kids From Folden

Copyright© 2007 by Flighttime

Chapter 5

In the main module, Yavi and Farhad worked on the computer while Alex, Jody and Tasha finished straightening up what they could after the hull breach.

Alex walked over to the computer console and knelt down. "How's it going?"

Farhad pulled himself from under the console. "It's going fine. Not nearly as bad as it looked."

"When do think it'll be up and running?"

Yavi answered from beneath the table, not stopping, "Very soon. There is just a couple of wires to connect..."

Farhad picked up. "... then we can run the diagnostic."

Yavi attached the wires connecting the monitor interface with the rest of the system.

"Ahhh."

Yavi looked up and around, confused. It was as if her joining the wires and redoing everything was giving the machine pleasure.

"What was that?" asked Tasha.

"What was what?" said Alex.

"That noise. Like someone saying 'Ahh'. Didn't you hear it?"

"Nope. What about you, Jody? You hear anything?"

Jody was absorbed reading the station manual he had found. "Huh? Oh, nope I didn't hear anything. Probably just part of the station settling. Hey did you guys know that this station was the first to have a family live here?"

"Yes, I believe that was in twenty fifty-five," said Farhad.

"Well, I definitely heard something," Tasha continued.

"I'm really bored. I'm gonna check out the living quarters in the other part of the station." She started to walk toward the rear of the module.

Alex started to follow her. "I'll go with you."

"No, you won't. I want to go by myself." Tasha was indignant.

Yavi pulled herself out and stood in front of the keyboard. She glanced over at Tasha and Alex fighting and rolled her eyes at their inanity. Farhad stood next to her oblivious to the bickering going on behind them. "Well, Yavi ready to give it a try?"

"Yes. Let's begin the diagnostic." She pushed the main power control and then flicked some other switches. The monitor in front of them flicked on.

"This is one ancient interface." Farhad began typing on the keyboard.

"Look, Tasha, it's not a good idea to go traipsing around an unknown station by yourself."

"Alex, I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself. Besides, Garth said we should check out the living quarters." Tasha continued walking.

Alex grabbed her arm and she immediately yanked free of his grasp.

"Tasha, Garth left me in charge, and I'm not telling you don't go; just don't go without someone else."

Farhad and Yavi continued to work, oblivious to Alex and Tasha arguing. Jody was still absorbed by the old tech manual.

Information on the computer screen started flashing in front of them, increasing in speed. Farhad stopped typing. The information diagnostic continued to run on its own. He couldn't believe it. He tried to type in a stop/run command, but it was useless. He was locked out.

"What's the matter, Farhad?"

"I don't know, Yavi. It just started running the diagnostic by itself."

Completely unaware of what was going on with Yavi and Farhad, Alex and Tasha were still at it on the other side of the room.

Tasha squinched up her nose at Alex.

"Little Alex is in charge. Little Garth's pet." Her voice whined. "I don't have to listen to you. You can't tell me what to do."

"Yes, you do and yes I can!" Whatever compassion and sympathy Alex had gained for Tasha was quickly going down the tubes.

"Why do you always attack me?" asked Tasha.

"Attack you? You're always the one on the attack. Nobody can say a thing without you having some snippy remark or snide comeback."

Yavi scratched her head, unsure of what the problem was.

"Let me check the main logic board. Some of the welds may have crossed over." Yavi knelt down to look underneath the console.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.