Himura Battousai - Cover

Himura Battousai

Copyright© 2007 by Trojan_85

Chapter 87: A Violent Meeting.

From the capital there is a demon gate under the northeastern sky. On the slopes of Mt. Hiei, famous from olden times as a mountain of ghosts that protected the emperor's castle-- Soujirou: Here it is. Well, please come in.

(Houji knocks on Shishio's door.)

Yumi (stumbling out): If you're looking for Lord Shishio, he isn't here. (God you're loud.)

Houji: Then where is he?

Yumi: I don't know. But he said he was all worked up about something, so maybe he's in the training room.

(A soldier is hanging from the rafters in the training room, stabbed with a sword and a spear. Shishio regards him carefully.)

Houji (coming in): Lord Shishio.

(The soldier is slashed in half.)

Houji (thinking): I never saw the sword leave the scabbard--

(The upper half of the soldier bursts into flame.)

Soujirou (coming in behind a shocked Houji): Oh, it's been a while. The old secret sword Homura Dama.

Shishio: I caught him trying to steal a sword. Did you want something, Houji?

Houji: Ye-yes. I received word of Soujirou's return, but...

Soujirou: Now, now, don't be angry. I'm back, Mr. Shishio. And I brought all the Ten Swords in Eastern Japan.

Shishio: It's been a while, Anji. Have you completed your training?

Anji: Yes.

Shishio: Henya, I've been waiting for you. Your skills haven't gotten rusty, have they?

Henya: Hardly.

Shishio: Iwanbou, you look as stupid as ever.

Iwanbou (grinning): Gufu.

Shishio (coming to Aoshi): And you... You're the first outsider ever to enter this fortress. Welcome.

Aoshi: Let me say this now so we'll have no misunderstandings. I'm here only for information about Battousai. I have absolutely no intention of working for you.

Shishio: Well, that should be fine. I have a little theory about you. Everyone has their own position in life. There are those born to lead, those born to follow, and those, incompatible with anyone, born to live alone. I don't need someone like you working for me. Someone who keeps to themselves is the key to dissolving an organization. But I like you. So what are we going to do? On the one hand, I could offer you information about Battousai.

Aoshi: Or, I could help you destroy Battousai.

Shishio: Don't be impatient. You can fight Battousai purely of your own free will. You'll be doing it for us both.

Aoshi: In other works, not as your underling, but your equal.

(They stare each other down for a moment.)

Aoshi: Do you have news of Battousai?

Houji: After the fight with Chou we haven't heard a thing...

Aoshi (turning for the door): Then I have no need to speak with you.

Soujirou: There is a clue. The old man you met, Mr. Shinomori. Wouldn't he be in contact with Mr. Himura? So if we attacked the Aoiya and torture him, I'm sure he'll have a thing or two to tell us.

Shishio: Hmm. If that's true... what are you going to do, Okashira?

(Flashback.)

Aoshi: Is Misao asleep?

Hanya: Yes. Are you sure about this? When she wakes up I the morning and finds out we're... no, that you're gone, she's going to be very unhappy.

Aoshi: I've entrusted Misao to Okina. I have no worries. But are you sure you want to do this?

Shikijou: We've been through this, Okashira.

Beshimi: The ones we're leaving here are good merchants.

Hyottoko: We'd just be in the way.

Hanya: After all, we're the outsiders who only know how to live in the middle of a fight.

Aoshi:... I understand. Then there's nothing more I need to say. From now on, we five will use our strength as spies of the Oniwabanshuu.

(returning to the present)

Aoshi (thinking): I'll lay the name of strongest on your graves. (aloud) I don't care. Battousai's death is my all.

Shishio: Then we have an alliance. Soujirou, find a room for our guest.

Soujirou: Yes sir.

Shishio: Houji, choose the soldiers for the attack on the Aoiya. The rest of you are free to go.

Houji: Is this all right, Lord Shishio? He's certainly very strong, but it seems as though he once betrayed a comrade. He looks at people as if he were destroying them.

Shishio: That's fine. We'll be doing some destroying of our own.

Houji: I see. Of course. (thinking) It's true. His spirit cannot live. He is violence incarnate.

(At the Aoiya)

Omasu (taking in the inn sign): It's a wild night tonight.

Okon: Omasu, where's Okina?

Omasu: Oh, he's already asleep.

Okon: That's strange. He's usually up half the night.

Omasu: He's been acting strange lately.

Okon: Well, it's not like he started acting strange today.

Omasu (laughing): You're right. Let's get to bed too.

The Aoiya is in grave danger.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.