A Phoenix Story: Playing The Hand You're Dealt - Cover

A Phoenix Story: Playing The Hand You're Dealt

Copyright© 2007 by Writingdragon

Chapter 2

After returning to the deck with their refreshments, RJ sat staring out over the river. It was a beautiful view from the balcony.

Millie could sense the obvious tension RJ was feeling as Millie watched her nervously play with her fingers. With her lips pursed, she looked at Millie with an intense haunting stare.

"I think it's best to try and tell this in Darren's own words as he has related it to me over the years," RJ said with a deep sigh.

"In high school Darren had been good enough to be a starter in baseball and track... he did so love to run." As RJ stopped for a moment to wipe a tear from her eye, Millie realized for the first time she was about to learn the truth behind Darren's injury. From that point on, she slowly became mesmerized as the story mandated her full attention.

"But, he was never going to be offered a scholarship to any College or University and his parents didn't have the resources for him to attend one of the more expensive prestigious schools. Instead, he chose a small liberal arts college near Madison, Wisconsin for their business school and cheaper cost, trying to get the biggest bang for his buck, so to speak." RJ continued to speak, but her voice was lost as Millie only heard the words as they begin to form a spectacular visual of Darren's story.


Darren enjoyed his first two years on campus, partying, studying, and happily losing his virginity to one of the few women who came his way. Darren knew his lean runner's build was unlikely to attract any of the "A" list girls, but that was okay with him.

In high school many of the real hot babes were too self centered and money oriented. He didn't care for their attitudes... or have any extra money. Darren figured out in a hurry there were more than enough other girls with the so called 'correct attitude' to choose from.

About three weeks before the end of his second year in college, Tonya, his girlfriend of six months, introduced him to a cute little redheaded fireball nicknamed 'Red.' She was a freshman who had taken a liking to the group Darren hung out with. Although bubbly and a bit opinionated, she was not at all unpleasant. She even made a few positive comments about Darren's current relationship with his black girlfriend.

Red told them one night, "I think it's good for different races to date each other. What if my future better half is a better color than I am."

Tonya and Darren couldn't help but laugh before Tonya goaded, "I think he also liked the fact that I was willing to give it up for him." Both girls giggled as Darren blushed a deep crimson.

"I like to think it was the first reason that brought us together," he sputtered.

After licking her finger, Tonya made a hissing sound as she pressed it to her ass, "This, lover, is almost too hot to handle." Winking, she gave him a seductive smile, "But you handle it well."

Darren's shoulders slumped in defeat as he looked at his girlfriend, "Ok, I do enjoy your special attention too."

That had both girls laughing and high fiving.


The rest of the school year went well, wrapping up almost too quickly. Since he and Tonya were going to rent the apartment for another year, the recess gave him the opportunity to go home and make some extra money.

He had hooked a summer job as a delivery man for a family friend, or as his dad called it, the pack animal. It was relatively easy and paid well.


Upon arriving back at school in August, Darren instantly knew something was amiss when Tonya was waiting for him in the apartment with her arms crossed over her perky breasts. If there were any doubts, they vanished with her words, "Sit down... we need to talk." Her tone was pleasant but not warm and her greeting was downright cool.

'Great, ' Darren thought, 'back to the dorms. I was looking forward to a fun partner to share the apartment with for another year, maybe more.'

Darren sat down looked up at Tonya and said, "Ok what's up?"

Tonya said, "This is weird, when we started the summer break, I was actually looking forward to spending the coming school year with you. But I met someone a couple of days after I got home and, well, we are head over heels in love.

"I always enjoyed our time together, I can even say I was developing feelings for you, but it wasn't love. At least not like this.

"So I am backing out of the apartment, but not to worry, I got you a roommate to take my place. Only you don't get special attention from this one... sorry."

Darren was a bit confused, "Who? Do I know him? He's not gay is he?"

"Well yeah you know him, only just not too well and him is named Becca," Tonya replied.

"Who?" Darren asked with a look of utter confusion etched on his face.

"You know... Becca... 'Red' from last year. We kept in touch over the summer and she knew what was going down, so she is willing to share the place with you. There are just no special benefits or touching unless she gives you permission, OK? This way you don't have to lose the place or move back to the dorms."

Darren looked at Tonya, "Well, thanks for telling me up front, and for finding a replacement. I wish you luck. Hope it works out for you."

Tonya bent down and kissed Darren on the cheek, then whispered, "Thanks baby, I knew you would be ok with it." As she was leaving, she turned and waved.

Darren just sat there taking stock of his feelings. It didn't take to long to understand he really didn't love Tonya, but did have some feelings for her. He knew the pain he felt was only his bruised pride from the sting of her unexpected rejection.

'She was the best I've ever had, ' he admitted to himself. 'I'm sure going to miss her body... , but I do wish her the best. She's one fine lady.'

With a grin he realized there was a small silver lining to this otherwise dark cloud. Now he didn't have to explain about his little slip with an ex-girlfriend's younger sister at the Fourth of July party.

Reminiscing about the party, Darren recalled how the younger sister and he talked through the situation the next morning. Both realized it was just a case of alcohol induced horniness taking undue advantage of their mutual loneliness. They had no plans to get together again.

He remembered how hostile his ex had been after she walked in on them taking a shower together the next morning. Even though her younger sister was eighteen years old, his ex made it sound like Darren was a pedophile who had violated a fourteen year old.

Quietly disengaging himself from the argument that pursued, he managed to slip away, leaving the sisters to work things out between them. From the tone of their escalating voices, he knew it was going to take awhile.

Recalling the aggravation, he sassily said, "Note to self, never again screw sisters under any circumstances."

From behind him came, "That's a good policy, but who are you talking about? Tonya only has brothers."

Responding with his usual gracefulness to an unexpected voice, Darren jumped, landing on the edge of the couch, flipping it over onto himself when he fell to the floor. Red was laughing so hard she had tears rolling down her face while she helped him get out from under the couch and set it upright.

She said, "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I thought Tonya told you I was already here."

Darren, still trying to get his heart back in his chest, replied, "You didn't scare me."

When Becca almost went to the floor laughing at his reply, he realized how stupid the answer sounded and was soon laughing with her.

Over the next couple of hours they both outlined their feelings on sharing a place, division of chores, plus individual and joint responsibilities. Darren was very impressed by Becca's way of firmly planting in his mind the fact they were just roommates, not a couple in any way, shape, or form.

She did make him tell her about the sisters before letting the subject drop. After he finished the story she shook her head and replied, "Well of course goofball, everybody knows you don't screw sisters or brothers."

Over the next few months, until Thanksgiving, Darren and Becca along with the rest of the gang hung out and partied together. They both took time to reconnect with old friends and forge bonds with new ones.

When not hanging out with friends, Becca and Darren spent a lot of time studying together. Darren also helped his roomie overcome some Math and history problems she was struggling with.

They occasionally dated others but neither was able to find someone they really could connected with. A lot of their time together was spent laughing and sharing what was or went wrong with their dates.

When everyone got back from Thanksgiving, Darren noticed Becca was always at his side, constantly touching his arm, shoulder, or leg. When everyone got together at the club one night, one of the other guys pointed it out to him. His buddy had noticed Becca made sure she was sitting next to Darren all night, even sitting in his lap at one point.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.