The Hybrid Theory - Cover

The Hybrid Theory

Copyright© 2006 by Sasha Distan

Chapter 2

When I finally arrived home the angrily flashing light of the answer machine reminded me that I was supposed to go to Black Sync tonight and meet with Aska, gods knew what he really wanted out of me this time. After an ordinary day it would have been fine but considering that nothing, not even my day job, not even my lunch hour, had been normal in the last few days, I really wasn't in the mood for sparring with the most powerful vampire in all England. And the catalyst for all this? I could pin it down to an exact moment, the moment she walked into Black Sync and played havoc on my senses. The hybrid.

Unfortunately however shitty I was feeling summons from Aska were not to be ignored. Not going was far more dangerous than slipping up in conversation. So I kitted out in black jeans and mesh shirt, silver glitter through my hair and kohl that would have made Ranyah proud. Didn't even grab a jacket as I left the apartment, we don't feel the cold so most clothes were purely ornamental anyway.

I arrived at Black Sync not half an hour later, having flitted across London by foot. I hate the tube, the stench of human sweat and smoke which most humans find unpleasant is magnified by vampiric senses. I feel sorry for the lycans.

Black Sync was alive with so-called un-dead that evening, and I had no doubts that every vampire was there with their favourite servants or a prey. Barren had a couple of girls helping him behind the bar and the dance floor was packed, beautiful bodies moving to something heavy and German. My linguistics aren't great but the bet was that the lyrics were probably unprintable. At the bar I asked Barren which booth held my caller for the evening. He smiled, pointing me in the direction of the booth on the right hand end, heavy curtains closed and whisked off to serve Annis at the far end of the bar.

I slipped through the dancers and then parted the curtains, sliding into the seat opposite Aska. The vampire looked regal as always, long robes of silk and velvet in black and deep green. To my surprise there was someone else there and he wasn't prey. The boy looked no more than twenty, although with vampires looks are more than deceiving, with long red brown hair, unusually dark skin and autumnal eyes. I recognised him, a young vampire by his smell, wearing old style clothing, but I could place no name to him.

"I'm glad you're finally here Jaone," I didn't miss the derisive note in the older vampire's voice, "Would you care for a drink?" He waved a pale hand at the pitcher of blood on the table. There were glasses too, two full and a third empty.

I declined.

"Jaone I would like you to meet Hazan Nunzio," He gestured to the boy who inclined his head with no little respect, "He has just returned from The Citadel."

I nodded.

"And how is Rome these days?"

"Too full of traffic and tourists," replied the boy and the instant he spoke I knew him, the sparkling eyed youth we had all lusted after as he danced at The Font a few years back. The elder's messenger. We called him the spirit of autumn but none of us had dared to approach him apart from Ward and he had been ignored.

I smiled at him and then turned my attention back to Aska.

"Somehow I don't think you asked me here to exchange pleasantries Aska," I said, "Nice as it is to meet you Hazan, I feel there is a higher purpose to this meeting."

Aska smiled at me.

"Well then. To the point we shall hasten." Aska took a sip from his goblet and smiled at me.

"Word of the situation here has reached the Elders. They have called a council and as Hazan's message informs me, I am to attend."

"What has this to do with me?"

Aska tutted at my impatience.

"I am not happy with being called away with my city in danger. They say they are holding the Abomination's sire at the Citadel. I must go for the trial. Jaone I want you to find the Hybrid so that when the call goes out to have it destroyed we may act swiftly."

I had to ask.

"Why me?"

Aska merely smiled, getting up and opening the curtain.

"Because I trust you to obey me."

With that he got up and left. Hazan nodded and smiled to me.

"I am to go with him. But I have a letter for you." The boy reached into a pouch at his side and handed me a stiff parchment envelope, "Here." He got up to leave but I caught his wrist before he slipped away completely.

"Who sent it?" I could not remember any from the Citadel who knew me well enough to write to me.

"Riordain." He said and slipped out of my grasp.

I sat there feeling very confused. Riordain? I did not recognise the name, from any reference at all, and I stared at the envelope. On the front was written a single word, my name, in a flowing cursive script. Turning the parchment over I saw a seal in black wax. The imprint was of no house crest or mark I knew. In that blackness I saw the shape of a bat in the jaws of a wolf engulfed by fire. With my patience running away from me I open the letter, the seal shattering and falling to the floor in pieces and withdrew the single slip of paper that lay within. This was what I read:

I know you have been watching me, you should learn to be more discrete. I know you have been set to hunt for me. Just remember, I am watching you too.

Riordain

Underneath that was the symbol I had seen on the seal, drawn by a gentle hand, and under that two words.

Pueri Angelus

Ranyah and Reid wandered in, hours later to the loud drums of something-or-other by Atreyu, and came across to me after getting drinks. Not gothed up tonight I noticed, just Ranyah in this cool off the shoulder shirt and black leather trousers, hair tied back for once, Reid no longer hanging off his arm. The human had his arm linked with the vampire's but he had a smile and a confidence all his own now. I hadn't moved since Aska and Hazan had left me sitting in the booth and they slipped into the empty seats.

"Evening Jaone." They chimed but I didn't look up then, still staring with a blank expression at the paper in my hands.

Ranyah clicked his fingers in front of my eyes.

"Wake up."

Belatedly I looked up at them both and received a pair of smiles for my trouble. I felt it hard just then to return what was usually a more than natural gesture.

"What's that?" Asked the boy, frowning at the paper in my hands.

"A message," I gulped, "From... I don't know."

Ranyah frowned at me.

"Start making sense Jaone."

I shook my head and handed him the paper.

"Riordain? I don't know that one. 'Hunt for me'?" He let the paper fall from slim fingertips like ash and leant back one arm going around his partner.

I pulled the drapes closed.

"Aska told me to meet him here. He's gone to the Citadel for the Hybrid Sire's trial. I'm to catch the Hybrid. And..." I ventured my one thought that made no sense, "I think this is from her."

"Jaone," Ranyah gave me a small smile and sighed, "Riordain is a male name, the Hybrid is a girl. And look, I know my Latin isn't perfect but see."

"Pueri Angelus?" queried Reid who had picked up the letter, "Son of Angel?"

Ranyah let out a soft laugh and kissed his partner's cheekbone. Reid blushed slightly but looked pleased with himself.

"Jaone I think you're hectic day has caught up with you. You feeling OK?"

"I'm fine," I said then, "How did you know my day was odd?"

"We meet Demitri today," Piped up Reid, "He told us all about Marie. She sounds like a nightmare."

"She is," I agreed, "But worse, I can't wake up from her."

Our conversation degenerated there into laughter and jokes, the letter lying forgotten on the table among the growing number of glasses.

It was very, very late in the evening when we finally finished up and both of my companions insisted that I couldn't go home in that state. We ended up asleep on a double bed upstairs at Black Sync, all half dressed.

I awoke mid morning to the sound of the door being opened. Barren stood there, bearing two trays laden with what smelled awfully like rare steak with béarnaise sauce and a large jug of orange juice.

"Well don't you three look a picture?" He smiled, laying down his load on the coffee table and walking over to us. To my left I heard Ranyah mumble something about it being way too early before Barren reached over to ruffle my hair. I let out a groan and sat up.

Barren was right, we really did look a sight. The floor was littered with various bits of clothing and jewellery. All our shirts, boots, Ranyah's trousers, Reid's socks and the contents of my pockets; wallet, keys, kohl stick, glitter. As I leant up on an elbow I turned to see my other two companions. Reid was lying to my right with most of the blankets over him, red hair spread out on the pillows. Ranyah was lying at right angles to the rest of us wearing nothing but a pair of black boxers, one hand flung out to curl around Reid's, his legs tangled with mine. I worked out from my own position that I must have spent the night with my arms around Reid, and true enough my nose was full of his scent. All in all it was not the most unpleasant way to wake up.

"What time is it Barren?" I asked as Black Sync's owner began the hefty task of waking Ranyah.

"Just past lunch."

Shocked and worried I tried to jump to my feet but my movements were halted by Reid's legs and not only did I end up half on the floor, half on the bed, but I gave the young human a rather rude awakening.

"Calm down Jaone," Barren's hands were at my shoulders, lifting me back onto the bed, "I called your work and told them you were too ill to come in today. They sounded most upset, but wish you a speedy recovery."

Reid groaned.

"Why didn't you wake us?"

Barren looked surprised.

"The amount you three drank last night? You would have hated me for it."

"I hate you now," Came Ranyah's sleep and headache laden tones, "Hell's sake please tell me there's something to eat."

"There is," said Barren.

Soon enough, and too soon for Ranyah's liking, the three of us were reposed, upright against the headboard with food and liquid and Barren sat on the end of the bed watching us.

"So," he said, keeping his voice low for the sake of Ranyah's ears, "Why the sudden penchant for drinking Jaone? It's been a long time since I had to wake you midday with hangover food. I thought you cared about this job?"

"I do," I grumbled through a mouthful of meat, "Can't a guy get wasted once every century or so?"

Reid was sitting staring at his breakfast looking decidedly ill.

"Is he OK?" I asked, concerned.

Ranyah leant over and gave his partner a kiss.

"He's never been quite this wasted before."

"Ah..."

The conversation traded back and forth for a while without purpose while the three of us ate. Only after I had finished my steak did Barren bring an envelope out of his pocket. It took me a second to recognise my name on the front and another to workout that he'd read the note.

"Barren..." My tone was warning. He merely laughed silently.

"Don't look so angry Jaone, I found it when I was sweeping up. I hope that whoever this Riordain is that he treats you nicely."

I frowned. Barren was smarter than that, but I couldn't quite work out why he was playing dumb. For my sake in front of Ranyah and Reid? Unlikely, but I couldn't see another reason.

"Barren, they know."

"Know what?" This I couldn't believe, but if Barren wanted to act the fool I wasn't going to stop him, "How did your meeting with Aska go?"

"He's gone to Rome. They're trying the Hybrid's sire."

I was not hung over enough to miss the flicker that crossed Barren's features. Concern, worry, I couldn't tell.

"What for?" Reid asked. His tone was interested, concerned, but he was human, and did not fully understand the weight of his words.

"Does it matter?" I said, half jokingly, "The trial is a mere formality, they'll kill him no matter what he says."

I went home that evening with my head reeling, but not through excess this time. All day Barren had been tense, and as much as I liked the vampire, he had never been fond of the Elders or their ways. That thought set my mind to wandering.

It all centred around Riordain, whoever he, or she was. I still suspected I was right. For whatever reason, Riordain was the hybrid. Hazan's words came back to me, that the letter was from the bearer of that name. I knew pretty well how people got messages to the autumn spirit. You wanted something delivered, you had to hand it to him. So he knew who Riordain was. This of course, would have been far more useful information before Nunzio had left the country.

I lay on the sofa in my lounge and thought about all this until I fell asleep. When I awoke I had the strangest conviction I was being watched. My nostrils reaffirmed that with a confused scent, one I recognised. I wasted no time in sitting bolt upright, and there, outlined dark against the window, was a crouching silhouette. A pair of inky blue and emerald green eyes. My hand flew out to the side, flicking on the upright lamp and light flooded over us both.

The Hybrid was crouched on my windowsill. She smiled at me.

"Good Evening Jaone."

Arken stepped off the train into a welcoming Italian night. It was warmer here in Rome than England had been, but it was still winter. He nodded to the doorman at the station and walked out into the city, he wasn't the type for taking luggage. Of course, to the human eyes, Arken did not look like a human crossed with a stag. Dressed in loose trousers and a long coat he had altered his image to any human eyes, and all they saw was a hansom man with long brown hair and amber eyes. Magic was a demon's gift. His wander through the streets brought him at last to the Vatican.

No one questioned him as he entered the great palace, ignoring all the signs and all the guards. It was almost laughable. The Citadel, where all the documents of Demonic, vampiric and lycanthropic society were held, where the Elders lived, was situated under the very heart of the Roman Catholic Church. Among all immortals, it was a joke. Arken slipped like a shadow down a side passage, behind a tapestry, going further and further underground, through secret doors and unknown tunnels. Finally he came into the Citadel itself, where the ground opened out in a huge natural cave, and the demon thankfully shook off his human disguise. The Citadel was absolutely buzzing, and no surprise, for Arken was here, just like the rest, to witness the trial of the Hybrid's sire.

He was almost at the Great Gates which lead into the Elder's chamber and the trail room when someone caught up with him. Arken caught a whiff of sulphur and flame before a voice called his name. He paused, and waited for his assailant to catch up with him. Into his view came an older man, complete with grey hair and a neat beard, who had flames crawling up one arm.

"Barlis," Arken bowed deeply, his amber eyes widening slightly as he saw a younger figure with the old demon. A girl, about twelve or so in human years, with fire-red hair and glittering black eyes. She had a little cat-like flame creature perched on her shoulder and she blushed when Arken bowed to her as well. It had always puzzled the stag why some demons let themselves age and some did not. Those that aged tended to bring themselves families. Arken preferred his own company much of the time.

"Arken. It's good to see you."

"Passing visit old friend. You know why I'm here."

"The same as everyone else. To see the sire." Barlis shook his head, old he might have been, but he looked good for an even millennium, "Arken I'd like you to meet my granddaughter. This is Alia."

The little girl smiled shyly at Arken who returned the gesture. The little fire creature on her shoulder chirped.

"I am honoured," Arken made a show of bowing to the girl, which made her blush, "I am Arken."

Alia giggled and said something in fast Italian to her grandfather. Arken and Barlis shared a smile, and together the three made their way into the council chamber.

The chambers of the Elder's were grand and ornate beyond description, everything made out of filigree gold or multi faceted crystal. Images of the past were everywhere, rich tapestries unaffected by age, showing the separate halls of each race, great castles in the mountains. All along one portion of the circular walls hung weapons of all sorts, gleaming blades in the soft light that was thrown from burning balls of flame that floated from steel chains thirty feet above even the highest seats. The seats themselves were tiers of stone, enough to seat a few hundred, raised around the centre for three quarters of the chamber. In the centre itself was a bare stone floor, about twenty feet in diameter in the centre of which stood a stone pillar to which were fixed shackles. In the bare quarter of the chamber stood the thrones on a raised crystal dais. They were empty.

The rest of the tiers were filling up quickly and as Arken, Barlis and Alia entered they cast around for seats, receiving waves from many. The earth demon spotted Aska sitting close to the thrones in the front row, which was roped off, a jury of sorts. Barlis began his way along a row, waving at Arken to follow, but a hand appeared on the demons shoulder to stop him and Barlis cast his eyes down quickly and continued along to his seat.

Arken found Hazan Nunzio, the tanned son of the Vampiric elder looking at him with a friendly expression and he smiled at his counterpart.

"We are wanted Arken."

"Is that so?" Arken was never one to waste words, but he couldn't stand Nunzio's cryptic attitude.

The autumnal vampire grinned, resplendent in robes of russet red with a spring green sash, embroidered all over with little vine leaves.

"Yes, come."

Hazan lead him over to the dais and only now did Arken notice that three small seats, stools really, had been set half way up, placed in between the thrones so that nothing came between them and the centre. Arken sighed, he was not much looking forwards to acting in his formal capacity as the son of an elder, but he had little choice. From the look on Nunzio's face, he wasn't much looking forward to it either. Felan met them on the dais, and the son of the lycan elder looked none too pleased with everything as he surveyed the room. Even in his human form he towered even above Arken, if not above his antlers and his ice blue eyes were narrowed.

"I don't like this," he murmured between clenched teeth.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.