Black Plague - Cover

Black Plague

Copyright© 2006 by Fick Suck

Chapter 11

Drama Sex Story: Chapter 11 - Over 700 years ago, the Black Plague killed over 50% of the populations it touched from China to India and on to Greenland. This is Stefan's tale of his travels through the plague lands of a fictional kingdom.

Caution: This Drama Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Historical  

Rayna sucked in her breath with surprise when they emerged from the forest and gazed upon the Capitol city of Reginatine, named after a famous queen. She had never seen such a large city before in her sheltered life. The ancient castle hovered on top of the large hill like a many fingered beast grasping for the clouds. From all of the towers and balustrades flew flags of the royal family, which fluttered in the cold wind.

Below the stone behemoth was a great wall studded with towers, and festooned with more flags; these flew the colors and shields of the kingdom's various regiments. The wall looked substantial and thick, but Stefan knew some of it was only an illusion. Parts of the wall were hollow, used at times for storage, and at other times for the disappearance of enemies of the crown. He only knew that secrets were buried in those walls; he had no idea what those secrets were.

Below with wall a substantial city spread out into the plain, filled with everything from well-cut stone mansions to cascading rows of leaning hovels. There were livestock markets on the outskirts, and other marketplaces in the midst of the buildings; the streets between the buildings seem to dip and twist in haphazard, unplanned routes. A flag or two marked the entrance to a guild street, but most of those were hidden from view. A pale of dust seemed to hover over the city.

Stefan led them down the highway and past the line that waited at the first guard post As the couple drew even with the two pillars, the soldiers eyed them warily as if they were the enemy. The Black Shield heeded the command of the King's Agent, who was inspecting incoming goods with an eye on levying taxes, and had no time for non-taxable entities. Even so, the Black Shield always gave the King's Guard a second condescending stare, for they knew the truth of who truly defended the crown — not the King's Guard. Stefan and Rayna passed without further comment.

"Husband," Rayna began as their horses began to climb the twisting streets of the sprawling city, "will we pass through the main gate of the Great City Wall? Are you confident that news of... of the Delucians hasn't reached the royal ear?"

"You have picked a fine time to ask, Rayna?" as Stefan turned right, down another unmarked street. "Only common folk use the main gate; the nobles have a gate reserved for them that is entered from the south. For the servants of the king, the answer is a bit more complicated."

Stefan refused to answer her second question. He had no doubt that as soon as they left the first guard post, a bird had been sent up to the palace announcing his imminent arrival. His face was known, and his task as well. Despite the return to duty, and the expected confrontation over his actions, Stefan had to plan for his wife.

He took a left hand turn between two stone houses whose foundations appeared quite old and weathered. They followed the alleyway behind until they took a second left turn, which was guarded by two soldiers with lances. Stefan halted and nodded a silent greeting. A moment later, one of the soldiers nodded and Stefan gave his horse a soft kick to proceed. They emerged into an old neighborhood of stone row houses that had wooden frames in the doors and windows, along with real glass. The streets were quiet, far too quiet according to Stefan's memory.

Stefan spotted an older woman carrying a full basket of vegetables. "Ho, dear lady," Stefan called as he dismounted his horse. "I've just arrived back in the Capitol with my new wife. Do you know of any available houses for us?"

The woman looked at him with now familiar, haunted eyes, "The pestilence has reached even our ranks and file, young guard. Take what pleases you and report your choice to your captain, if he has the time to listen. Rank has no meaning, with the troops so thin and the needs of the day unabated." She sighed and seemed to retreat into her herself, "Try the domiciles on Hyacinth Lane; I always fancied the houses there."

She turned away without another word.

Rayna was puzzled, "Where are we?"

"This is one of the neighborhoods reserved for the king's troops and their families outside of the Wall. Higher ranking officers get apartments within the Wall, but this neighborhood is guarded and maintained."

"Nor easy to find," Rayna added.

Stefan had already remounted, "We need to hurry a bit. I'm expected to report and we need to find a home."

Stefan had to ask twice, but they found Hyacinth Lane, which was pleasing to the eye just as the woman had promised. They knocked on the first door and inquired of the matronly woman. She walked them up the lane herself, pointing out the benefits and deficits of each of the homes. There were far too many available on the street of about twenty doorways. Stefan let his wife choose, for they all looked about the same to him.

With her choice made, he unsaddled their personal bags and left them inside the door. He gave her a peck on the cheek, and mounted up without looking back. Rayna was taken aback by his complete abandonment, but the other woman took it all in with a knowing smile.

"Welcome to the ranks, dearie," the older woman patted Rayna on her arm, "duty calls and they are off. The king does not wait."

While Rayna huffed that the honeymoon was at an abrupt end, Stefan was wending his way through a short alley that led to a small gate hidden behind the houses. Here he saluted, stating his name and his business. Taking one look at his dirty, worn clothes and his tired horse, the Black Shield passed him through and sent him on his way.

He returned his two horses and made arrangements for Rayna's mare. With the heavy saddlebags draped over both shoulders, Stefan staggered into his regiment's headquarters and into the captain's office. Stefan was relieved to see a familiar face, but was also chastened by the wan look around the man's eyes. His eyes were sunken, as if in retreat from the world.

"Report," was all the man said.

Stefan gave his report in full, excluding his adventure in far city of Marakand. He explained Gregor's death, and pointed to bags full of coin from the coffers of Esala. Retrieving the sealed letter from the governor, he tried to hand it off to the captain, but the man waved him off. With the ranks diminished, each courier had to deliver his own packages and letters, instead of leaving them to the assigned King's Guard agent for the various secretaries of the king.

Stefan almost forgot to mention his new wife and the house, for which he would owe rent to the king's treasury. The captain gave him an annoyed nod of his head and told him to report back after he had delivered the letter and the coin to the Secretary of the Exchequer.

After hauling the bags to the king's counters, he waited in the hallway while they counted all of the coin — twice. The Secretary himself called Stefan to his desk where he took the letter and examined the seal. Instead of breaking the wax, the Secretary dipped his quill in ink and wrote a number on the back.

"You had better pray that the number in the letter matches the number on the envelope," the man sneered. "Now get you to the king's offices, using the private entrance. When challenged, tell him 'the lily of the day is mayhem' and he will allow you to pass. Don't dawdle or gawk like a country bumpkin either."

He dismissed Stefan with a perfunctory wave of his hand. Stefan, who had thought that he was done with his chore, turned on his heel and stalked out of the room. Many a time he had entered the palace, and he was far beyond the desire to gawk. Still, he had delivered papers only to court, but never to the private quarters of the king. He was curious.

Slipping in the private entrance, he gratefully followed a young page who led him down the particular hallways. Outside of the king's private study, a man sat at a desk flanked by four Black Shield. Stefan approached the man and handed over the letter, expecting to be released from his delivery.

The man examined the seal and then the number, making a note in his open book of blank pages. "The king awaits this letter. Knock once and wait to be admitted."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.