Lesleys Return - Cover

Lesleys Return

Copyright© 2006 by Bunts

Chapter 6: Treachery Repaid

Tony arrived back at Jill's flat late that evening to find that Jill was in bed. She was surprised and delighted to see him. As they lay side by side in bed Frank told her what he had found and his subsequent meeting with Katie. He told Jill exactly what Katie had told him. He told Jill that he planned to consult a Solicitor to determine what his rights were over Peter. The fact that he was not his own flesh and blood did not bother Frank. As far as he was concerned Peter was still his son and would always be his son...

He could forgive Jane for having an affair, but he could not forgive her for deliberately deceiving him all these years about Peter. She had deliberately used him as a surrogate father; nor could he, or would he ever forgive her mother.

Somehow, he did not know quite how, but Frank was determined he would get his revenge. On Sunday evening Frank was waiting at home as usual. He was reading the Sunday paper. He had despite his anger, come to terms with what was happening, now all he had to do was to decide what was the best thing for Peter and for himself.

When Jane arrived home she seemed very happy. She bounced into the room dropping her handbag on the settee and pecking Frank lightly on the cheek.

"Had a good weekend darling?"

She asked, not waiting for an answer, as she took her coat to hang it in the hall.

Peter bounced across the room holding a model car. "Daddy look what Uncle Chris has bought me."

He shouted, as he threw himself into Frank's arms.

"How is your mother?" asked Frank as he grappled with Peter.

"Not too good." replied Jane.

"That's strange. I spoke to Katie on Saturday and she said your mother was in the park playing with Peter. Katie thought she looked quite well."

" Yes, she did take him out for some fresh air in the afternoon, but why were you speaking to Katie?" asked Jane.

" Oh we have our little secrets."

Frank said as he put Peter down, smiling knowingly, and tapping his nose with his right fore finger as he left the lounge.

As he reached the door. He turned and said.

" Oh darling I've moved into the spare room. I may be back late some nights in the next week or so and I would not want to spoil your beauty sleep would I?"

The thought of sharing a bed and having sex with Jane ever again, repulsed him. Especially now when he understood her reasons for wanting him to make love to her after being with Christopher. Frank felt angry enough to challenge Jane with her deception, but he had agreed with Katie to keep the secret until he had decided on the best strategy. He was finding it increasingly hard to be civil to Jane.

Over the next few weeks Harvey's health deteriorated. he made very few appearances at the factory. Increasingly, Frank and Jill spent more and more time in their own business, to the growing detriment of Alpha Productions. Although his secretary and clients could get hold of him through his personal mobile telephone the fact that he was not on the spot was very much to the detriment of the business. It did however make it much easier, for him to split his time between the two companies without being found out. One day Jill told him that she had come to an arrangement with Frank Cartwright to transfer the orders to Alpha Products. She told him that she would pay Frank Cartwright a 10% commission in cash as a percentage for each order received. Now she told him, she would arrange for the transfer of the machines. They could afford theses discounts, because of the much lower overheads at Alpha Products with only a small factory.

It was two weeks before Harvey died, that Jill told Frank that she had arranged for the sale and repurchase of the machines as they fell idle at Alpha Productions. Mark Higgins had protested strongly at the loss of the machines, but Frank assured him they would be replaced by new and more efficient plant quite very quickly. Jill told him that she had arranged the deal through a local scrap merchant, who would buy the machines at scrap metal price. She would, she told him in turn buy the plant back of him at a very nice cash profit for the scrap merchant, plus a guarantee that he would have exclusive scrap metal contract for the next two years for both companies.

Harvey's death had made it easier for Jill. When she heard that the new owner was a doctor, she immediately assumed that he would have little knowledge of engineering, or running this type of business. Most of the machines stolen from Alpha Productions were now installed and running at Alpha Products and the first deliveries had been made. The final machine was moved almost exactly two weeks after Harvey's funeral and just before the new owner was due to arrive. Frank told Jill that he would wait for the new owner to arrive. He would then tender his resignation, and concentrate on managing Alpha Products.

He told Jill " I owe Harvey that much at least. The new owner will not be alone. He has Mark Higgins and the rest of the staff."

Jill told Frank that for the time being, even after he left she would stay with the Alpha Productions Ltd, as she could probably produce more orders for both companies that way, and her salary would not be a burden on the new company. It would also she explained stop people knowing that they were working together although, she assumed with Franks marriage coming to an end their relationship would soon become public knowledge. Since Frank had stopped sleeping with Jane. The marriage had deteriorated rapidly. There were no arguments or recriminations. Jane seemed totally unaware, or perhaps not bothered that Frank had found out about Christopher and her relationship with him. If she was mystified by his behaviour, she did not show it.

Their social life had come to a complete standstill. Apart from attending Harvey's funeral. They had not been out together since Frank had moved into the spare room. His solicitor was not hopeful.

He told Frank."It is likely that Jane would retain custody of Peter. She would he thought, have an even stronger case if it was established that Frank was not Peters father, even despite her deception."

Frank went to see Katie when he knew that Christopher was away. He told her what the solicitor had said. Katie surprised him when she said.

"Frank you could always marry me. We could have a better chance of keeping him and we would also have Paula as well." Frank was stunned by the proposal. Looking at her he could see that she was serious.

She went on. " Since our first afternoon together. I haven't been able to get you out of my mind. I think we could be very happy. Don't you?"

Frank was flabbergasted by her suggestion. He loved Jill, yet he didn't want to hurt Katie.

"I'm very honoured Katie. I think you could be right. But I think Christopher may still want to fight for custody. Don't you?"

Katie said. " If the full story comes out he will probably lose his living. The Bishop will not be very forgiving and the press will crucify him. I don't think he can afford to fight for either of them. In fact, I don't even think he will risk claiming paternity for Peter"

Frank told Katie that he would have to think about it, but he would let her know when he was ready to make a decision. Frank knew that he could never marry Katie, Jill was the only girl in his life.

After the fateful weekend when Frank had moved into the spare bedroom. He spent even less time at home.

Jane said to Frank one evening, obviously hoping for some attempt at reconciliation. "Darling what is wrong with us. Why don't you want to sleep with me any more?"

"It's just pressure of work, with Harvey passing away" Frank told her.

It was the week that Harvey had passed away, Jane first suggested to Frank that she ought to take her mother away on Holiday for two weeks.

She said "A nice warm climate like the Canary Islands would be good for mother"

"What about Peter?" Frank asked.

"I though that perhaps we could have someone to live in and look after him while I'm away, or I could take him with me"

"No. I will not allow him to miss more school Frank told her. I can find someone to look after him during the day and I will just have to be here in the evenings."

Frank knew that it would be very awkward, but he was beginning to hate Jane. She had made several serious attempts to entice him back to her bed. But the thought of touching her was now utterly repellent. Frank had maintained contact with Katie on a regular basis by telephone since his last visit...

Shortly after Jane had suggested the holiday with her mother. Katie had told him that Christopher was planning to go on a Conference for the same two weeks, that Jane would be away. The Conference he had told her was to be held on the island of Gran Canaria.

Katie, her suspicions thoroughly aroused, had through subtle enquiries found that, there was no conference but Christopher had obtained two weeks personal leave. It was obvious to both Frank and Katie that he, was going with Jane and her mother on their vacation. Now that Katie had some support from Frank, she was now beginning to face up to the possibility of leaving Christopher. No longer was she on her own. Frank was part of her problem, also a strong ally.

Jane had only been gone for a day when Frank and Jill were given the formal request to visit the Apex Corporation in the USA. The same communication also officially informed them that the company would become incorporated into the Apex Corporation. Jill was told that she was invited to go to Toronto to attend a Marketing Conference at the King Edward VII Hotel to study the corporations marketing strategy and plans for expansion in the United Kingdom.

Frank would tour some of the corporations manufacturing centres in Pennsylvania and adjoining states for two weeks. He would then rejoin, Jill in Toronto for the return trip after meeting Dr. Rogers the President and certain Vice Presidents for discussions on future corporate strategy developments.

Frank asked Ralph Andrews. "Why both of us, and why now with so little notice.?

Ralph told him. "That's the way the Yanks work. You'll get the chance to meet your new boss while you are over there. It might be very much to your advantage"

Frank told him. "I can't possibly go", explaining his difficulties and his current domestic problems.

Ralph told him. "I don't think you have much choice. See what you can arrange and let me know tomorrow. The auditors will be coming in while you are away to carry out a complete audit, otherwise I would probably be coming with you, despite the fact that I will soon be retiring from the company. In the meantime, Mark Higgins will take over your duties. He will probably join you in Toronto or make a visit later on"

Jill was with Frank in his office when Ralph had relayed the message. She was not enthusiastic about the trip. She wanted Frank to resign and leave the company immediately. Frank told her firmly. "I still have a responsibility to Harvey memory.

I've been thinking about this, the new corporation may give us a much better future. I think we should go, then make a decision about the future when we return. It's the right time for a showdown with Jane. I think, that I can use this vacation to our advantage. I can always resign later"

Frank telephoned Katie while Jill was still in the room. He told her." I'm going to leave Jane, but I have an idea that can help us both. Can I come and see you tonight and I will explain everything."

Frank took Jill with him to meet Katie. Frank explained his relationship with Jill, and the fact that they both had to go to the USA and Canada. Strangely Jill and Katie liked each other as soon as they met.

Tony asked Katie. "Did you once tell me this house is yours, and that your parents bought it for you?"

"Yes. It's in my name, and it's my personal property"

Frank said." That's interesting. So is mine. The solicitor wanted me to put it into joint names but I, for some unknown reason at the time refused. Let us assume, that we both emptied our houses; changed the locks, went on holiday having put the houses up for sale first. We could put both our respective spouses on a spot. Don't you think?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.