Lesleys Return - Cover

Lesleys Return

Copyright© 2006 by Bunts

Chapter 4B

The next few days passed very slowly. Lesley saw very little of Frank Forster or Jill. They were both away from the company a lot. Without any obvious reason. Frank rarely told her where he could be found, or rarely did his diary indicate that he had appointments. Lesley knew she could contact him at any time, if she required him on his mobile phone. She knew where he was and what he did every moment of each day from her security consultants. But any normal secretary would not have known. Looking at past diaries, she could see that previously and especially while her Uncle had been alive and running the business his movements had been carefully recorded. Now it was as though he did not care any more. His increased absences had started when her Uncle had become ill.

George Armstrong was, she found a fairly innocuous although charming man. He was always polite in his dealings with her and other staff, but, she felt that he was keeping his head down and waiting for the new owner to appear. He seemed to do his job well, and occasionally she sensed that he was covering for Frank Forster when he was absent. When she gently questioned him about Franks absences, he was non committal and declined to be drawn. Lesley was sure that he was not in Franks confidence.

Lesley was quickly becoming bored. She was now at the point where she felt that she was not making the best use of her time. Now was the time to make things happen.

On the Wednesday evening she took both Sandy and Mark to her home at Droitwich for dinner. She had invited Ralph and his wife Rose. Betty had agreed to provide dinner. Originally, she had intended to have a conference after dinner, but she was worried that she could lose her budding friendship with Mark and Sandy if she did not tell them the whole truth about herself before the evening meeting.

Arriving at Droitwich an hour before the dinner had been arranged. Betty greeted her with her usual enthusiasm, throwing her arms around Lesley and hugging her she told her that tea had been arranged and was ready in the lounge as she had requested.

Both Mark and Sandy were surprised by the warmth of the welcome Betty had given to Lesley. Although Mark had met Betty previously on his visits to her Uncle. This was the first time that Sandy had been to her Uncles home. The lounge was very much a mans room. It was in many ways similar to his office at work. It seemed to Lesley that she could sense her Uncles presence, watching over her. Despite the fact that it was a pleasant Spring evening Betty had lit a coal fire. At least it served to take the evening chill off the room. Lesley served the tea from a side table as they settled down. Lesley sat in her Uncles well worn armchair, while Sandy and Mark sat opposite watching her intently.

Their eyes expressed a mixture of anxiety and interest as they waited for Lesley to start speaking.

" I want to tell you about myself and who I really am, because I value your friendship greatly. I think that what I am about to say will be a shock to you - I hope a pleasant shock, but it is important to me that you understand."

Pausing for breath, she continued. "The other evening I gave you my true identity. I had not planned to do that, but both of you have in such a short space of time have been good friends to me. It is only right that I now tell you the rest of the story.

For the next half an hour Lesley went through her whole life story, starting with her background, her education, her marriage and subsequent legacy from Charles.

Lesley watched their faces anxiously as she spoke. Both Sandy and Mark had exchanged occasional glances as her story had unfolded.

When she had told them she was the sole owner of the massive Apex Corporation in America, her heart sank. She sensed the almost immediate change in their attitude towards her.

As she came to the end of the story. She said." You can see that I am a very wealthy person by sheer chance, but I want you to remember that I come from the same background as yourselves. I felt that because of our friendship I owed you a full and frank explanation"

After she stopped speaking, they sat in silence Lesley knew that both Mark and Sandy were trying to come to terms with what they had heard. She waited heart in mouth. She needed their friendship and support. She had become very fond of both of them over the past few days. Mark shuffled his feet, his eyes fixed steadily on the floor while he attempted to digest what he had heard. It had taken his several days to come to grips with learning that she was the new boss. Now this was an even bigger blow.

He liked Lesley very much. He was, he knew falling in love with her. But now his first natural reaction was anger, this was quickly followed be a sense of panic. He couldn't lose her now.

As he looked at Lesley he could see the anxiety in her eyes, as she looked steadily back at him. She looked close to tears. He could see that his feelings were, at least in part reciprocated.

Sandy too, had been shocked by Lesleys revelations; her initial thoughts were for Mark. She knew how fond her brother had had become of Lesley in the short time that they had known each other. She had never seen him so keen on any girl before. She looked up at Mark. Both Lesley and Mark were looking at each other, it was as if she was not even in the room. Suddenly, as she saw them looking silently at each other, she knew that they would overcome this barrier. They were in love whether they realised it or not.

Her natural compassion came to the surface. She sensed Lesley's fear. She was fond of Lesley, nothing could change that as far as she was concerned. She crossed the room, putting her arms round Lesleys neck, she hugged her to her. She said. " I suppose it does change things, but we can still be friends. Can't we Mark?" Mark was feeling less sure. Despite the hopeful look in Lesleys eyes. "The other night was a shock. I was getting quite fond of you - I had hoped that we might have a future together, but this changes things. Doesn't it?"

Lesley looked at him. " Does it? Only if we let it. The bottom line is, that you are worried what people might say, is that what you mean?"

Mark nodded. "Yes. I suppose I am, but I ask myself why should someone like you want to bother with someone like me?" "You are the only man I have gone on a date with, or even been interested in since I lost Charles. I have become fond of you in the few days I have known you. I have also come to respect your ability as a manager, and your integrity as a man. I don't know what the future holds. That is something we have to work out. I do know I would miss you terribly if you were not part of my life any more."

Pausing she looked at Marks troubled face. " When I married Charles I had the same mixed feelings. The only difference was that I knew Charles was rich when I met him. I had no thought of marriage, then we fell in love. Then it did not seem to matter any more to me. Perhaps it is rather different for a woman. It won't be easy. I am fond of you and I had hoped that we can still spend time together. This was what this evening is all about. "

Mark studied her closely. I'm sorry, but I had to say what I was feeling"

Lesley said " I suppose I would have been a bit disappointed, if you had not reacted in the way you have done.

Holding out her hand to him, "Come on, let us go in to dinner. I think that Ralph and Rose have just arrived.


After Dinner they assembled in the Lounge. Rose excused herself and said that she would go and help Betty in the kitchen and have a natter. Lesley opened the meeting, as she explained to Ralph that she had put both Sandy and Mark in the picture, both about the company and herself, together with her reasons why she had felt it was now necessary to do so. She also told Ralph that she proposed to make Mark managing director shortly in place of Frank Forster.

Ralph said " I can't quarrel with that appointment. It has been well deserved" He went on. " But before we go any farther, you had better see these messages. Lesley suggested that Ralph summarise the contents out loud, so that they could all hear. The fax messages were from Ben Bryant in Philadelphia. He told her that the contract with Precision Controls were from one of the Apex Group Companys, Apex Aeronautics, based in Toronto. The contract specified that as the parts were to be used in aircraft they had to meet the British BS 5750 quality requirements and could only7 be produced under AID super vision.

The other message was from her privately hired security team, which indicated that Frank and Jill were spending most of their time at the factory in West Bromwich, but Jill had also recently had a meeting with Jim Cartwright at a restaurant in London. Jill was seen passing him an envelope. A photograph was taken and would follow. Ralph said that the report also gave detailed private movements of both Jill and Frank and details of taped discussions, although they might be relevant at a later date, he felt that they should not be a part of their discussions.

Lesley was relieved. For the first time, she was now beginning to see a way forward. As she was about to speak Sandy asked looking directly at Lesley." I know why Mark is here, but why am I here? I'm not a part of the management of the company?" "I hope you that you will be Sandy, but at the moment, I need to clarify what is happening. At present Sandy I need and value your common sense, opinions and friendship. I would like to hear what you have to say about events" Lesley replied. " Can you live with that for the present?

"How could I refuse. put like that" Sandy laughingly replied. Lesley went on. "This is the picture as I see it. Frank and Jill decided to set up in business on their own account. Instead of doing this openly and legally they have stolen machines, equipment and orders from Alpha Productions. I can only assume that Frank felt that he should have inherited the company, or a large part of it, on my Uncles death. His disappointment has led him to act dishonestly, and unwisely aided and abetted by Jill Rankin. I could, and may yet dismiss and prosecute both of them. But I think, no I hope, that there is a better and much more humane way of dealing with this situation. Especially for Frank, so this is what I propose to do. Perhaps you could then give me your opinions"

"The first thing is to get my company Apex Aeronautics to find an alternative supplier for the parts that they buy off Precision Controls. Then I need to get Jill and Frank out of the way. I propose to summon them to the USA for an induction programme, to learn about the corporation, its policies and its operating systems. In their absence, I shall put independent auditors into the company to determine the true financial position and viability of the company.

Mark intervened " Does this mean that our jobs are at risk?"

"No Mark, just the reverse I propose that between us we expand the business, but I do need to know what has happened in the past.

Turning to Ralph, Lesley continued. "For instance I want to know how Frank Forster was able to obtain £30.000 from the company and who authorised it. I also want to know if there has been any other withdrawals of money we don't know about."

Ralph said. I have already asked that question. George Armstrong told me that your Uncle authorised the loan before he was taken ill. As they are both signatories for cheques Frank Forster apparently directed him to make out the cheque and sign it. As Frank was managing director, he felt he could not refuse."

"That shows that something is wrong with the systems and why did he not contact you straight away. He should have done as you are company secretary. Don't you think?" Lesley replied.

"Of course you are absolutely right Lesley. This is something we should change immediately. I have not done very well as a director have I?" Ralph replied.

" Don't get me wrong. I understand your position, and I think that you have done very well indeed. I am extremely grateful to you for everything Ralph"

Once Jill and Mark are out of the way, I will go and see Precision Controls, if, as I expect we have an alternative supplier by then, I will have great pleasure in cancelling the order. Mark will take over the running of the company as managing director, assisted at least temporarily by Sandy. Is that OK with you Sandy? Lesley asked looking at Sandy.

Sandy smiled back at Lesley. She was enjoying this intrigue. She was beginning to feel excited, this was a change to her dull boring daily routine.

"Of course, in case you are wondering, your salaries will be adjusted with immediate effect " Lesley said. I will concentrate on tying up the loose ends for a few days, then I will go home and confront Mark and Jill. For instance, I want those machines back where they belong. What happens then depends to a large extent on them, but I am keeping my options open.

As they were about to leave. Lesley turned to Ralph. " I would also like the personal phones returned before they leave so that they could be given to Sandy and Mark."


The following two weeks passed very quickly. Ralph had received confirmation from Ben Bryant that they had found an alternative supplier for the parts supplied by Precision Controls.

On the Monday morning Frank and Jill were leaving for America and Lesley had arranged after much difficulty, her appointment with the managing director of Precision Controls Graham Wright.

The day of Lesleys appointment at Precision Controls Jim Cartwright was a very happy man. Rarely these days did he think back to when he first met Jill Rankin a few months ago, and the acrimony of their first meeting. The fact that he had been forced to put business where there was no personal reward to himself, had hurt Jim at the time. The fact that he had been forced to place those orders for the American contract with Alpha Productions, much against his will. But now the cash was flowing in nicely. For a time his standard of living had been under threat. The deal that he now had with Jill Rankin was even better than his arrangement had been with Grimmonds. He was now getting 10% personal commission in cash, for all Business he placed through Jill.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.