Lesleys Return - Cover

Lesleys Return

Copyright© 2006 by Bunts

Chapter 3: Jill Proves Her Worth

Jill waited impatiently in the reception of Precision Controls in London. She looked at her watch again. It was now 10.45 am, and her appointment had been for 10.00 a.m. It was a bright frosty November morning; on first arriving for her appointment, Jill had been glad of the opportunity to get warm again before her appointment with Jim Cartwright. She was now becoming extremely irritated, to keep her waiting this long without an adequate explanation was gross discourtesy. Especially, when she had travelled to London, on a very early train from Birmingham to be here on time.

She was looking forward to this mornings meeting with Jim Cartwright, the purchasing director at Precision Controls Ltd. They had not met before, but Jill had done her homework; she had gathered a lot of useful information, both about him and the company from a wide range of sources. Jill reflected on the events leading to this meeting. For some years, Grimmond Engineering had sub-contracted work to Alpha Productions, for which she was the sales and marketing manager. Andrew Harvey her chairman, had always been aware that Grimmonds were sub-contracting technically difficult jobs to Alpha Productions that they did not wish to do themselves. They in turn then supplied these parts on to other companies, including Precision Controls where she was now waiting.

This practice was not unusual in the engineering industry, as companies tended to specialise in certain processes, or types of work. Usually the profit on sub contracted work was modest for small companies, but the work was usually regular and it helped to absorb the overhead costs, kept machines running and provided employment. Since Andrew had employed Frank Forster as production engineer, the company had prospered. They had taken full advantage of Frank's unique abilities and skills. They had invested heavily in new modern plant, and developed computer aided manufacturing processes. They were now highly productive and efficient, well ahead of most of their competitors. They could now produce work cheaper, make better profits and also tackle more complex jobs.

Grimmond Engineering, had been a long standing customer of Alpha Productions. They were not ideal customers as they were very slow payers. Andrew Harvey had made it clear at management meetings that he would in due course, be prepared to dump them if and when he could get work from other sources.

The changes at Alpha Productions had been welcomed by most of their customers. It had meant that the company had kept prices stable over a long period, absorbing increased costs through increased efficiency and not putting up prices. Jill had joined the team, and with her undoubted marketing and sales skills had been able to increase the volume of profitable work to the company. The reason for her meeting today, was the result of an order placed by Grimmonds to her company. The order was to manufacture a range of complex components. The price had been agreed when the order was placed. The tools and the computer software had been developed and Alpha Productions had been ready to commence production.

Grimmonds had then told Alpha Productions, that they could not proceed with the order unless Alpha Productions were prepared to reduce the price by 15%. Andrew Harvey had refused to reduce the price, pointing out that a contract had been agreed and threatening court action. Grimmonds had then cancelled the order.

Three days later, Grimmonds had telephoned Andrew Harvey offering to reinstate the order at the original price. Andrew had angrily refused. He told them that he did not wish to have any further dealings with them, either now or in the future. They responded by offering to increase the original price by a further 20%., which once again was also refused by Andrew.

Curious as to the reason for the panic at Grimmonds, Jill had made a number of enquiries amongst contacts in the trade, including a friend who worked in Grimmonds Purchasing Department. Jill had quickly established that the work was for Precision Controls who needed the parts urgently for a large export order. Grimmonds after cancelling the order with Alpha productions had been unable to find another supplier that either had the technology, or, could supply the parts in time.

As a result of this information, and first having talked with Frank and Andrew Harvey Jill decided to make a direct approach to Precision Controls. Andrew had reluctantly agreed that she could do this, on the basis that they would no longer be dealing with Grimmonds. She realised that Jim Cartwright was probably totally unaware of the purpose of this meeting, not realising that she had the answer to his problems. She had tried to explain the purpose of her visit, when she had made the appointment with Jim Cartwright's Secretary but, it had been obvious that her reason for the appointment had meant nothing to her. As far as the Secretary was concerned, Jill was just another Salesman

This meeting would be interesting, perhaps a bit one sided Jill thought, as far as she was aware, Alpha Productions, may be the only chance Jim Cartwright had, to save his job and the company the opportunity to fulfil an important export contract. Before making the appointment Jill had also ascertained that it was well known, that Jim Cartwright liked to be personally rewarded, or as it was commonly know to receive backhanders' for placing business with suppliers. This was not a common practice these days, as most employers took severe disciplinary action against employees engaged in this practice if and when they were found out.

Jill assumed that Jim Cartwright's fellow directors knew about this practice or, perhaps were so incompetent that they had not recognised what was going on. The other possibility was that they were also involved and also took a share of the proceeds. Jim Cartwright had also been described by one contact as being a " right sexist pig"' according to one female acquaintance of Jill's who had previously done some business with him, "

As Jill waited in the reception, her impatience and anger growing with every passing minute, she had plenty of time to take a close interest in her surroundings. The company obviously went to great lengths to present a good image to visitors. The waiting area was comfortably appointed, with nice furnishings and soft background music. The receptionist, an attractive middle aged lady was well dressed and presentable, with a nice friendly welcoming manner. From time to time, Jill had noticed that receptionist being aware that she was still waiting, had telephoned someone, presumably to remind them that Jill was still here. The doorkeeper, a member of the Corps of Commissionaires also looked very smart and alert in his uniform. He too was kept very busy with a continual stream of people, presumably employees, who either came from or disappeared into building through a variety of doors.


As Jill waited with increasing impatience. Jim Cartwright sat, in his office upstairs feeling very depressed and sorry for himself. This was unusual for Jim, he enjoyed life; he was an extrovert and he enjoyed every moment of his extravagant lifestyle. The only trouble was for Jim, that to live like he did cost money. He had twice been reminded by his Secretary that he had an appointment waiting. The Secretary having on both occasions been angrily rebuffed, had retreated quickly. Jim stared moodily at the calendar on his office wall. The scantily clad girl on the calendar smiled back at him, but even she could not provide him with any consolation in his predicament.

He was angry worried and frightened. He was angry at those so-called friends who had put him in this predicament. Worried at the possible consequences to himself, and frightened at the thought of losing the standard of living which he had become accustomed to. As if that was not enough the production director was putting him under pressure about delivery dates on the parts which were the cause of his depression and were now beginning to hold up production.

For a man of 35, he had done well for himself, especially considering his lack of formal qualifications. Now, because of fools and incompetents at Grimmond Engineering, all this was at risk. If he could not get the vital parts his company needed, they would lose a prestigious and very profitable export order to the USA. His Managing Director did not accept excuses. He demanded results and Jim knew, after all the assurances he had given his job was on the line.

Grimmond Engineering, the cause of his problems, had been generous to him over the years. In return, he had made sure that they got all the orders they wanted. Orders that should in all probability gone to other companies who were cheaper and could probably have produced at a better quality. He knew without being told, that his source of untaxed income was at risk. If he could not supply Grimmonds with a supply of profitable orders, then, they had no reason to subsidise his standard of living.

His company Precision Controls were specialists in Control Equipment, which they both designed, manufactured and sold throughout the World. The company were leaders in their field, with an established world wide reputation. They had won a large order from a very large American Corporation, which had been won in the face of stiff and very often bitter competition from companies in America and elsewhere in Europe. To lose it now, would be unthinkable, it would be a fatal blow to their prestige and international reputation.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.