Lesleys Return - Cover

Lesleys Return

Copyright© 2006 by Bunts

Chapter 1: Lesley Comes Home

Lesley woke with a start at the sound of the Captains voice over the intercom announcing the flights imminent arrival at Heathrow Airport. She had slept most of the time since boarding the plane in Toronto the night before. For almost the first time, since her husband Charles tragic death from a heart attack two years ago, her sleep had been natural and free from bad dreams.

Dr Lesley Rogers was now 35 years of age. She was slim, with shoulder length auburn hair, and light blue eyes, her dazzling personality and her success as a businesswoman had made her a favourite with the North American media. Hers was a story that intrigued the American public plus the fact that she was arguably one of the most beautiful and most eligible young women in America had made her almost a household name.

Hers was a rags to riches story that had captured the imagination of people from all walks of life. At first she had not minded, but recently the loss of privacy had become extremely intrusive, much as she appreciated the value of good press relations, she found the lack of privacy tiresome and irritating. Fortunately, her image was good, but inevitably there was a section of the press corps who delighted in believing that there were skeletons in every cupboard. They kept her movements and activities under the closest scrutiny, in the hope that they could discover, or perhaps invent any credible indiscretions on her part.

Although she had been away from England for nearly ten years, having left as an eager and enthusiastic mature student bound for the Harvard University business School in America, she had always intended to return to England when her studies had been completed, but fate had taken a hand.

Her time in the USA had been busy and rewarding, apart from the heartache of losing Charles her husband and had been a mostly a happy and successful time. Charles death had left Lesley an extremely wealthy woman; he had some years before meeting Lesley inherited the small, but profitable, Apex Steel Mill, from his father. Through his dedication, skill and energy the Mill had prospered and grown rapidly. He cut costs, introduced new products, acquired new markets and through his personal example, his abounding enthusiasm and sound organisational skills, had inspired his workforce to greater productivity.

Charles had re-invested the profits into new technology and was able to expand by buying companies which he thought had potential. It had been a point in time when many local manufacturers were hit by the recession and forced to cease trading or sell out. He had taken over a small number of these ailing businesses, provided fresh working capital and introduced new methods of working.

His empire had mushroomed. saving thousands of jobs that would otherwise have been lost. He was acutely aware that many of these companies had been forced into liquidation by the banks. Charles was not a great supporter of the US banking system. He had always felt that they were keen to lend at extortionate rates of interest when times were good, but would not take risks when trade had deteriorated. He only used banks when it was essential and expedient to do so. Never letting himself get into a position of long term indebtedness.

Lesley had met Charles on when she had been on a study trip to one of his businesses. They had dated and soon after had married. Lesley had loved Charles deeply. Her three years of marriage had been full of love, and romance. Their marriage had taken everyone by surprise, especially, those of his friends, who had thought of him as a confirmed bachelor. Lesley's unique personal qualities and enthusiasm had matched and complemented his own unique qualities.

Both in work and in their private life, they had shared the same interests and values. In business they had become a formidable partnership. This beautiful English girl had captured the hearts and won the friendship of Charles friends and business colleagues too. After his death, she had carried on where Charles had left off. The Apex Corporation had continued to grow and prosper under her management.

Lesley was now returning to England, to meet her late Uncles Solicitor and close friend Ralph Andrews. Her uncle Harvey had been her mothers brother. He had, since the death of her parents, been her only known living relative. He had died suddenly in his sleep a week previously after a short illness, leaving Lesley as his sole beneficiary.

At first, the thought of returning to England had not pleased Lesley. It meant that she had to break away from her busy daily routine and come to grips with her past. Her daily busy routine had been used in a futile attempt to escape her grief. Her friends and colleagues had eventually persuaded her that a trip to England may also remove her from the oppressive attentions of certain sections of the media, as well as giving her a well earned break.

The news of her Uncles death had been a shock to her. Somehow she had never envisaged him ageing. Her memories of him were those of an active cheerful middle aged man, who had loved children, his garden and playing golf. She had many happy memories of him and the holidays she had spent at his charming country home.

The telephone call from his friend and Solicitor Ralph Andrews had given her the briefest of details. Her uncle had died a reasonably wealthy man. His engineering business although successful, now had problems that apparently needed personal attention. He had implied that some form of fraudulent activity may be taking place. Due he said, to the fact that her uncle had been unable to manage the business properly for some months during the last few months of his life.


On landing Lesley walked purposefully through the arrivals lounge of terminal three, then quickly through immigration control, pleased that she had still got a valid British Passport and into the chaos of the international baggage collection area. Although it was only 5.30 am in the morning, the terminal was packed as international flights disgorged their weary passengers from all parts of the globe into Londons premier airport.

Lesley amazingly still looked immaculate despite the flight. The sleep had done her good. Her auburn hair was tied back behind her head with a black velvet ribbon. Her green costume enhanced her slim 5 '8" athletic figure, briefly attracting the attention of many tired male eyes, as they followed her progress towards the ladies washroom.

Waiting in the busy washroom was Joan a member of her security staff. She had been wearing a raincoat over an identical green costume. With the same colour and length of hair as Lesley, it was easy for Joan and Lesley whilst talking and standing at the wash basin to change their appearance without attracting undue attention.

Lesley smiled, as she said "OK. Joan". She put on the proffered raincoat.

"You know what to do now?"

Joan nodded and replied briefly." Yes Boss"

Taking a pair of rimless spectacles, Lesley placed them on her nose as she quickly undid the ribbon to allow her hair to fall free over her shoulders. Joan took the ribbon from Lesley, tying her hair at the back of her neck. The changes had taken only about three minutes and should they thought be sufficient to put any inquisitive press men following Lesley on to Joan. With any luck it would be some days before they discovered their mistake.

Lesley told Joan in a very low voice.

"There are two of them; they were three seats behind me on the plane. Let them follow you to the clinic. I will telephone you later if their is any change of plan. Good Luck"

Joan left the Washroom, walking casually towards the baggage collection point; collecting a trolley she stood waiting patiently for the luggage to appear. Looking round casually, she easily located the two men who had been following Lesley. The ruse had obviously worked, so far and Joan was keen to keep her face hidden from any close scrutiny. Fortunately they must have been tired and seemed confident that they had their quarry still in sight.

Lesley waited in the washroom for about thirty seconds before following Joan. Unburdened by luggage, with just her handbag she made for the exit, and out through the Green channel to the London Northern Line Underground station. Boarding the first train, Lesley left the train at Boston Manor Station three stations away. A chauffeur driven car, was waiting for her to take her to her Hotel. Joan meanwhile, had been collected by another Chauffeur driven limousine and taken to a well know Health Clinic in Kensington. The clinic prided itself on its security, catering exclusively for the very rich who needed privacy and wished to recover from the stresses of every day living. Joan planned to stay there using Lesley's name for at least 48 hours. Hoping that the subterfuge had been successful.

At 10.00 am that morning Lesley after a brief rest was awake and ready to attend a 11.00 meeting at her London Bank, followed by a meeting with her Solicitors. She spent the rest of the day shopping for clothes and talking, by telephone to her Head Office in Pittsburgh and to Ralph Andrews her Uncles Solicitor.

The next morning after an early Breakfast, Lesley caught an Inter City train from Euston to Birmingham New St, where Ralph Andrews had arranged to meet her. He had invited her to stay with him and his wife, until she had been able to make her own arrangements. He was apparently looking forward to meeting her again, although Lesley could not remember meeting him as a child.

Ralph had told her on the phone, that he was now semi-retired. He rarely visited the office in Worcester, preferring to do such work as he felt inclined to do from home. The Law practice was now managed by his son and a new partner. Lesley enjoyed the journey; the English countryside was at its best. May had always been her favourite month. The sun was shining, the fields were green and the hedgerows were white with Spring Blossoms. The cows and sheep grazing in the fields were typically English. This was the England she remembered from her childhood. This was picture card England, the England which attracted the American tourists. Many of her American friends, frequent visitors to England, could not understand how she could so easily give up England for smoky industrial America.

Lesley found Ralph and Rose his wife waiting for her. As soon as she saw him she recognised him from all those years ago. Rose threw her arms around her, giving her a big hug. Lesley felt that she was with friends straight away. For a brief moment she nearly let her emotions take control.

As they talked, on the journey to Bromsgrove, memories came flooding back of her childhood days. Old names and places were remembered. Even Betty her Uncles Housekeeper was still there and eager to see her again. Eventually, they started to talk briefly about the circumstances surrounding her Uncles death. He had not, Andrew told her, seemed well for some time; consequently he had been devoting less time to the Factory.

Ralph said "For the past three months, It was as though he was worn out and could not be bothered. He had a weak heart, but would not see the Doctor. Betty did her best, but he was a stubborn old coot. Betty found him that fateful day when she took him his breakfast"

She remembered her uncle Harvey, with affection from her childhood. He was a man who had loved children, although, he had never married. She had fond memories of her childhood at his home in Worcestershire. She especially remembered Betty, his young vivacious housekeeper, who, could only have been about eighteen or so at the time, not so many years older than herself. She would Lesley thought be in her mid forties now.

Lesley had as a child loved talking with and helping Betty in the kitchen or, sometimes she would help with other chores around the house. When she was 10 years of age, there had been a big family row. The reason had never been fully explained to her. She was at the time, not to know that she was never to see her uncle ever again.

Following her parents death in a car smash, she had corresponded with him briefly, although she had been unable to attend the funeral. They had, exchanged Christmas Cards, and the occasional letter. She had promised herself that one day she would come to England to see him and bring Charles. Now it was too late and now she felt guilty that she had never made the time to visit him.

After lunch Lesley and Ralph retired to his study. Lesley was intrigued to see that his study was fitted out as an office. He had a desk top computer, a fax machine and two telephones. It had obviously been furnished with great care. In the corner were a number of wooden filing cabinets, stained and polished, to match the general decor of the room. The walls were lined with shelves, and well stocked with hundreds of law books.

Facing the open grate, the room had four leather covered arm chairs. On a side table was a chess set, with two chairs for the players, with a decanter and glasses within easy reach. Lesley somehow sensed straight away, that this was a room that where her uncle and Ralph had spent many happy hours together. It was she thought, very much a mans room; a room which women were generally not encouraged to linger longer than absolutely necessary. Ralph explained to her, that he was in continuous contact with his Law practice in Worcester. He still did occasional work for a number of clients who were old friends, but, he no longer took any new business. For a time he seemed strangely reluctant to turn to the purpose of their meeting. Eventually, he turned to the business in hand. He said to Lesley

"Lesley dear your uncle was my oldest friend. rarely a day passed when we did not speak, or see one another. His death was such a sad shocks to me and his many other friends. I miss him terribly"

Ralph went on to explain that her uncle had become increasingly worried about the way in which the factory was being managed. They had discussed the matter on many occasions in recent weeks. He felt strongly that he had an obligation to long serving employees; otherwise, he would have sold the business long ago.

In recent months, he had suspected that managers he had trusted may be acting dishonestly. It was not possible for him to get absolute proof, but it worried him. Eventually, Ralph passed Lesley a copy of her Uncles will and a summary of his assets. He had, she could see been a comparatively wealthy man in his own right. His last will and testament had left everything to Lesley as his only living relative; apart from a couple of generous bequests to his housekeeper Betty and his gardener Sam, who was Betty's son.

The estate included her Uncles house and furnishings, which she remembered well from her childhood. The house was not far away, just outside the town of Droitwich. The main asset was his company Alpha Productions Ltd, in Birmingham. Ralph later explained that apart from ten nominal shares held by himself as a director and company Secretary of the company; the balance of the shares had been held by her uncle Harvey. These shares had now passed to her.

They talked for a while about the Will and its contents, Eventually, Ralph stood up saying.

"The next thing that I have to do is to give you this letter. He wrote it to you, about two months ago with specific instructions that it was to be passed to you in the event of his death. If you will excuse me my dear, I will leave you to read it in peace"

Lesley sat for a few minutes holding the envelope in her hands. In the envelope was a single sheet of writing paper covered in her Uncles neat hand writing.

My Dear Lesley

First of all my dear, I want to express my heartfelt sorrow at the loss of your husband Charles. Whilst regrettably, I never had the opportunity of meeting him or yourself in recent years. I have followed your progress with great interest. Your names and the success of your corporation are frequently mentioned in the business press this side of the Atlantic.

In particular, I read with great interest two articles by a Professor Tom Wilson of Harvard entitled "New Management Techniques " and " The Female Executive". It was this second article that finally influenced my decision to make you my sole heir. As you well know, family quarrels prevented us from meeting for many years. Now the problems that divided our family seem very trivial. In hindsight, I wish I could turn the clock back. We all let personal pride divide us. I have been the biggest loser because I missed seeing you grow up and I have missed your companionship.

I am however very proud of what you have achieved, especially since the death of your beloved husband. I now have one last favour to ask you. As you will know by now, I am not a poor man. Originally, I did consider leaving the factory to the present managing director Frank Forster, and just leave the house and its contents to you. Frank has worked hard over the years and seemed to share the principles and policies which I have always held dear to me. In recent months he has changed. I feel I may no longer be able to trust him to act in the best interests of the employees and the business generally. I am not sure what is happening, perhaps, by the time you read this letter Ralph will be able to tell you more.

Frank Forster is probably one of the top production engineers in the country. The success of the business owes much to him, but he is not a good manager, a fact which I did not recognise at first when I appointed him as managing director. But he is too good an engineer to be wasted on a relatively small business like mine.

My wish and hope is that you take this company under your control, to do with what you will. All I ask is that you ensure that all the many employees that have served the company for many years, have their future safeguarded.

My dear Lesley for yourself, Whatever happens in the future, do not forsake your own personal happiness. Go forward; do as I am sure Charles would have wished for you. Somewhere and in some form a new life is waiting for you. Do not forsake your own happiness for personal wealth and ambition.

May God go with you my dear.

Harvey

After reading the letter, Lesley sat trying to sort out the turmoil in her mind, and the implications of the letter. Without her being consciously aware of it, Rose and Ralph had joined her. Rose was carrying a tea tray. Ralph asked her if she was alright, she nodded as she offered him the letter to read. Ralph sat in silence reading the letter carefully. They all sat in silence as Rose poured the tea. It seemed to Lesley that the spirit of her uncle was with them at that time. Perhaps she thought it was because they were all thinking of him.

Eventually Ralph spoke to her. "There are a number of problems that have to be addressed quickly. Your uncle as he mentioned in the letter, had considered leaving the business to Frank Forster, the managing director. Frank had been for some years, like the son Harvey did not have, but he changed his mind some time ago when he made his new will. He had, as he mentioned in the letter, been impressed by your growing reputation as a business woman. I believe he thought that with your wealth and experience you could best resolve the dilemma that he found himself in and take the necessary action"

After a short pause, he went on. " Harvey appointed Frank Forster as managing director, in 1982. He had previously been works manager and reasonably successfully for five years, but unlike the other two directors, myself as company secretary and your uncle Harvey as chairman, he is not a shareholder. This would have happened in time as your uncle had considered giving him shares in the business for some time. He was paid a basic salary, of?30.000 plus 5% of net profits, as well as a company car. As company secretary, I hold ten nominal ordinary shares, your uncle held the balance. I receive a small retainer commensurate with the hours I give to the companies business, usually about? 10.000 per annum. Your uncle as chairman in turn took a salary of?25.000 plus the distributed profits per share. As time went on your uncle delegated more of the day to day running of the business to Frank Forster. Everything was fine in the beginning, but time proved that Frank was not the best man for the job. He is an engineer and a 'bloody good one', but not a manager. In recent months he had become convinced that Frank was having an affair with Jill Rankin the sales manager, despite the fact that he is married. The company also started to lose good orders for no apparent reason. Several unexplained discrepancies also occurred in the accounts."

Ralph then produced files and sets of accounts going back over the past five years. Lesley could see almost immediately as Ralph had said, that in the last few months the company had been losing business, which could, if not stopped, in time would lead to severe cash flow problems. The company, although not in immediate danger, was becoming less profitable. Frank Forster was not that inexperienced. He must have known how to run the business properly having spent so many years working for her uncle.

Turning to Ralph, she asked. " Do you think that Frank Forster is dishonest?"

He said " I have wondered, but I have no proof. If he is, I can not understand why George Armstrong the commercial manager has not said something. I would always trust George. He was too devoted to your uncle to be anything else."

Lesley stood up, walking to the study window she looked out into the garden. She was feeling angry that some one appeared to be cheating her uncle. The anxiety, she thought must she was sure have contributed to her Uncles death. Now, those same people were cheating her. No one cheated her without being brought to account.

Sitting down again she turned to Ralph." I need to know more. I can not stay in England indefinitely, but I propose to take action. When I discover what is going wrong then I will decide what to do. In the meantime will you carry on as company secretary. I would welcome your advice and support "

Ralph assured her that he would. She would she decided, use this is a working vacation. She could easily keep in touch with affairs at home. Perhaps, she thought ruefully, they deserved a breather from her. The last piece of correspondence Ralph showed her was a copy of a formal letter to Frank Forster from his office in Worcester, as Executor of the estate, confirming that Dr. Leslie Rogers had inherited the business and would, in due course be taking over as Chairman.

The letter explained that Dr Leslie Rogers was currently working in the USA but was expected back shortly. The letter, she noted, had been signed for Ralph by a clerk. Lesley pointed out to Frank the spelling mistake. She also pointed out to Ralph that this letter gave the impression that she was a man. Ralph apologised profusely, saying that he had dictated the letter over the phone and had missed the error when he had received the copy.

He said, "I will send another letter straight away."

Lesley said " No Ralph, let me sleep on this. Do you think that Frank Forster knows that I am a woman?"

Ralph thought carefully for a moment, then replying he said. " I don't see why he should. I have no reason to think that your uncle ever mentioned your name to him, anyway, when Frank spoke to me the other day he was asking, if I knew anything about you. The way in which he asked the question certainly did not indicate anything to the contrary."

Lesley told him with a wry smile." Do not correct the letter for the present. It might, just serve our purpose very well indeed."


Since leaving England and meeting and working with Charles. Lesley had become a very astute business woman, in her own right. A talent which some business acquaintances, perhaps understandably, when meeting her for the first time had failed to recognise. They were at least, initially fooled by her appearance. It was unusual to be faced by such an attractive young lady, who, exercised such financial power. Even in these days, corporate management is still very much a mans world, people soon found, frequently to their cost, that she was no figure head. She was a very active and astute President of a large and successful corporation.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.