Cathy Douglas - Cover

Cathy Douglas

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 6

Cathy Douglas

Cathy looked at the picture that had been pulled from the camera so many days ago. It was Chris who was there! But the still frame didn't show whether he was there under duress or as part of the gang.

"What on Earth is going on with you Chris?" She said to herself as she felt tears pricking her eyes as she fell asleep.


"Hello you! Thought you'd got rid of me didn't you with your fancy gadgets? Well I'm back and just as angry!" Bemalin said as she appeared in the room.

Cathy looked around and saw Roger chained up in his chair, she went to go towards him, but Bemalin held her back.

"No, girl not just yet! I haven't finished with you!" He concentrated and Cathy found herself getting younger, in body but not in mind, until she was in the same form that she had when they first met.

She put her hands on her hips, knowing that this wasn't a ladylike pose for her, "Just what are you doing? This is no longer me!" She cried out but her mind was already working away, she'd been training with Mary and her grandmother about using force in the Dreamtime, and so she concentrated and — even against his power — she returned to her true form.

"Impressive, you've learnt a lot it seems." Bemalin said.

A chuckle from Robert made him look to the chair. "I did try to tell you my friend; she is the antithesis of your personality." Robert said as Cathy made her way to him, now unhindered by Bemalin. She looked at the chair and materialising a sword she raised it up and cut through the links holding Robert down.

"Thank you my dear, tea?" Robert asked her in an even tone.

"Not just yet Sir Robert, thank you." Cathy said knowing that the display of good manners would infuriate Bemalin even more. She turned around to face her foe. "Well Bemalin, I see you have been released! I suppose your saviour has now regretted his choice?" She said.

"You wound me with your words Lady, and he isn't my saviour! That name belongs to another!" He said and looked up to the ceiling.

Cathy shook her head, "You're a Christian? But I though... " She began.

Bemalin laughed, "You look at my face, hear my name and you believe what you see!" He changed his form to that of a blonde hair, blue eye man. "If I appeared like this? Would you think I was a Norse man? Is this ideal the reason why you think I am truly evil?" He said trying to sound harmless.

Cathy shook her head, "I'm sorry I doubted your faith Bemalin, but it's not what a person is ... it's how he reacts and treats others that define him. And you play the evil man so well!" She said

"But, my dear, that is the way of all men." Robert said softly.

Cathy nodded her head, "I can only go by what I know and believe. And I believe that the Association is bad and doesn't deserve to remain!" She said with conviction.

Bemalin nodded his head, "True the present Association isn't being run as it should! But everything depends on the person in charge, and thanks to your meddling I have been unable to guide them as they should! But like all things in your world the leader's job is ephemeral at best!" he said

Cathy's ears pricked up at this. "What do you mean?" She asked him.

Bemalin remained quiet, but he had a smug look on his face as he knew he had her attention. "I have been enduring here for some time, and have seen many leaders rise only to fail and die, I do know of one who might be good for the Association, I've met him on several occasions... " Bemalin decided that this was a good place to stop.

"Who is this person?" Cathy asked aware that Bemalin was just trying to trap her somehow.

"Let me show you something, it might interest you... " he said extending his hand to her cautiously Cathy took it and immediately they were watching a scene that to Cathy was familiar but she had never been there before.

A woman was walking with a man along a street area when Bemalin appeared behind her, the man faded from sight, Cathy looked to where Bemalin was holding his hand, "This happened some time ago, I made the woman turn to the Association, she tried to fight me but was too weak." He said.

But Cathy had recognised the woman and the story that she had heard came back to her, "Veronica would never turn! She's a good woman!" She said.

Bemalin chuckled, "Yes I thought you would say that, but she's mine, just watch ... she's going to turn and attack me, just because I told her the truth!" He said and pointed to the action in front of her.

Cathy watched as her grandmother did turn and raise a hand ... there was nothing she could do! She knew The Organisation had tried to send messages back into the past without success ... all she could do was to watch as ... NO! SHE COULDN'T! But what had her Grandmother said? Cathy made up her mind and concentrated.

Bemalin looked at her in shock, "What ... what are you doing?" He asked as he felt the world around them tremble, Cathy's hair was starting to rise on her head as if it was in static electricity, her eyes darkened.

"YOU LIE BEMALIN, I KNOW THE TRUTH!" She said and then turned to the scene and screamed out... "Grandmother! Use the cloak!" It was all she could do and then the feeling of power faded and she staggered with the strain of her effort.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? That is not possible!" Bemalin said.

"She had done her part of what she had to do! Look!" Roger said as he walked into view.

Veronica had gathered herself and then turned to the Bemalin with her, "Bemalin! I am a Chaplin of the Order of Christ. You cannot force me or order me! You have no hold over me!" She said with a calm voice. The Bemalin beside Cathy disappeared.

And then the scene faded from their view as the panelled room reappeared Roger took Cathy's hand and helped her to one of the chairs, "Here my dear girl, relax for a moment." He said and at a look a table appeared with a goblet of wine.

Cathy took it and sipped at it she looked at Roger, "What happened?" She asked still slightly dazed from her actions.

"It was a miracle my dear, you changed the past to become the future! In one realm Veronica Coleman was turned by Bemalin and in her actions killed both Sir Bartholomew and Sir Timothy, Anarchy reigned in the world and the Association won!" he said watching her.

Cathy shook her head, "But she didn't ... she told me about the meeting with Bemalin and how she heard a voice telling her to use the cloak, when I saw that I knew what I had to do! It was just as she told me!" Cathy said her mind swirling.

"My dear the world is more complicated than you know, because Veronica lived to tell you about the event you ensured that it would happen, if she hadn't then the present would have gone as I told you, it's called a paradox my dear and that has now been fixed!" He said and patted her on the shoulder, "Don't try to think about it too much, you'll only get a headache ... I know I did!" He added smiling.

Cathy drank her wine and then she fell asleep.


What happens when you fall asleep in the Dreamtime? You wake up in the real world. Cathy looked around the picture of Chris was in her hands, she wiped away the dried tears on her face, she needed to talk to somebody about this!

Using her PDA she sent a request to both Sir Timothy and Veronica telling them that it was urgent that she met with them.

Veronica was already in Alpha 3 working in her room with Nichola Webb; in the past few years they were almost inseparable, at first Nichola worked as her P.A. at Alpha 3 but now she was more of a companion. Sir Timothy wasn't nearby but could 'meet' with them online in the main meeting room.

Jameson ensured that the room was cleared and ready for them when they arrived, a technician ensured that the connection to Sir Timothy was established and working, he quickly left as they entered.

Sir Timothy was on the screen, sitting in a chair that reminded Cathy of Robert's room in the Dreamtime, he seemed to be watching Cathy intently — although he was actually looking into a camera. "Now Cathy you seem to be flustered, what's happened?" He asked her.

Cathy drew in a deep breath and began her story, telling of her meeting with Bemalin — which made Veronica shudder as she remembered her meetings with the man — going on to his veiled references to a new leader, but unable to say who this person would be, finally she told them of her actions.

Veronica's face drew into a smile, "So it was you who helped me all those years ago!" She said and went to Cathy and kissed her.

"I had to grandmother, I knew that I just had to and then when Robert told me I'd changed the past..." Cathy said

"WHAT?" Veronica said surprised and even Sir Timothy was leaning forward in his chair, and so Cathy went on to repeat what Robert had told her earlier.

"But that couldn't be? Could it?" Veronica said as she learnt of her possible actions.

Sir Timothy shook his head, "I ... don't know. It's possible that events that could have occurred in the past would be reflected in the future, but if they don't occur then..." He went silent.

"But I don't understand how anything Grandmother could do would hurt either you or Sir Bartholomew?" Cathy said puzzled.

Veronica looked blank as well, for after her encounter with Bemalin she had just gone back to the Partnership? Sir Timothy looked up. "That is simple, you see my father wanted Veronica in her present role as second in command, but following her meeting with Bemalin he decided that she needed to consolidate her life with both Sandra and the Partnership, I was starting my life with Joyce and so I, err ... wouldn't be available for some months."

Cathy suppressed a giggle at Sir Timothy's embarrassed look when he said that, "So how would that have caused your death?" She persisted.

Veronica face cleared and she pursed her lips, "Oh my god ... it could be done!" She said softly.

Sir Timothy nodded, "Indeed, in fact it still could be, but not by you Veronica both my father and I know and trust you too much." He said reassuringly and then turned to Cathy, "However you could be the one to do it!" he said suddenly.

"But I would never..." Cathy said and paused realising that Sir Timothy was right, she would be able to command the people at Alpha 3 to do what she wanted and that could be anything ... they wouldn't question her! She sat back in shock. "S ... Sir Timothy I would never do that to you or anyone!" She said finally her face reflecting her true feelings.

"I know Cathy, but so does Bemalin, he would do anything to convince you that he was right and we were wrong, you have to guard yourself against that at all times." Sir Timothy said seriously.

Cathy shook her head and here eyes went hard, "You've got that wrong Sir Timothy, he has to protect himself against me! I do know he's tricky, but I'm not going to let him get to me!" She said.

Sir Timothy frowned, "What if he has Chris under his control?" he asked her.

Cathy's face narrowed and her eyes went dark, "Then may the Lord have mercy on his soul, for I will not!" She said. And so the meeting ended.


" ... And I do believe she meant it Baxter, in her way she would remove Bemalin from the Dreamtime rather than let him have Chris!" Sir Timothy said to his butler later that evening over a light dinner.

"I see sir, but wouldn't that help our cause?" Baxter asked.

"Yes ... but it wouldn't be right, not only are Sir Roger and Bemalin the representatives in that realm, they also provide us with the balance that the world needs, without we wouldn't exist, they give us direction and honour." He said

Baxter frowned, "That doesn't make sense sir, surely the Organisation doesn't depend on Sir Robert, we are perfectly able to control things as they are!" He said, "And why didn't the Association fall to pieces while Bemalin was ... incommunicado?" he added.

Sir Timothy gathered his thoughts, "In the short term, which is about 10 years, we and the Association could coast along with little deterioration, in fact the mess that the Association is getting into is due to the current leader's inadequate management. He never entered the Dreamtime at all; I think the former leader was unable to pass the secret on!" He said sampling the dessert that the cook had made.

Baxter nodded, "I see sir, so the current leader ... what's his name?" He asked.

Sir Timothy laughed, "Believe it or not he goes by the name of The Leader! Sound like some Marvel comic character doesn't he? His real name is Carl Mason, barely a criminal, but bullied at school so he made friends and then managed to rise up in the Association and took the reigns after the last leader died ... there's some thoughts that he organised the death."

Baxter nodded, "And so wasn't initiated into the secret as he should have been. I see sir, was this not this the time to launch an attack on the Association? I mean they wouldn't be able to fight back as they should?"

Sir Timothy shrugged, "It wasn't the time to do so, Robert was the one who's been counselling all the leaders, he's telling us that there is a higher force that is directing our actions, and we can't jump when we want to."

Baxter frowned, "I don't understand sir, I thought the Organisation would benefit from the removal of the Association, that way we would be able to guide the world along the lines of the Order." He said.

"And now it seems that the way is shrouded in mystery, to be honest Baxter I don't think I'm the person that the Organisation needs to control it anymore, I feel that I'm being a caretaker in charge until the true commander is ready to take up the reigns." Sir Timothy said

Baxter looked puzzled, "And who would that be?" He asked.

Sir Timothy looked up at him, "Why Cathy of course!" He said and returned to his meal.


Cathy had spoken to Veronica and felt better about her actions in the Dreamtime, she went back to the common room that the four girls shared, Kathy and Charlotte were playing some game on their computers, using the network to be able fight against each other without sharing the computer.

Sharon was working on a text that Jameson had suggested, translating a Chinese work into English, and Cathy could see her mouthing the words in Chinese as she read them — the girls were able to speak three foreign languages each and understand another 4. Cathy's were Urdu, French and Russian. Sharon was Chinese, Dutch and Japanese. Kathy's were German, Farsi and Kiswahili. While Charlotte's was able to speak Czech, Greek and Italian. Jameson didn't tell them why this was needed, but between them the girls were able to express themselves to the major parts of the world.

Cathy looked at the screen and shook her head smiling, "I don't know it all looks Dutch to me!" She said with a laugh in her voice.

Sharon looked away for a moment, "Oh no! Dutch hasn't got the ... Oh Cathy! I don't know why I listen to you!" She said but her eyes were smiling as she said so.

"Get out of that!!" Charlotte said to Kathy as she manoeuvred her virtual troops into position, "Oh hi Cathy, anything happening?" She added as she noticed her friend.

Cathy thought for a moment, should she mention her time in the Dreamland? Make the girls worry about Bemalin? ... They hadn't met him yet! (As far as she knew anyway) But understood that should anything strange happen they would have to control their actions and make themselves wake up — Cathy had taught them how already. At the moment he was just a boogie-man, an idea in their minds.

"Nah, just got a lot on my mind, that's all." She said dismissively.

"You need to relax!" Charlotte said licking her lips.

Cathy shook her head, "Thanks but no thanks, I'm not really into that." She said with a smile.

Charlotte pouted, "I meant you should play a game, this is quite interesting." She said.

Just then, Kathy finished entering her commands and looked up, removing her headphones from her ears. "Hi Cathy, want to join us?" She asked.

Cathy thought for a moment, "I just might Kay; Charlotte says it's a good game." She said.

Kathy shook her head, "Its Kathy not Kay, Kat or K!" She said good-humorously.

Cathy smiled as well, "Whatever!" She said in her normal off-handed way.

"I'll let you off for the moment, well? What about it? Will you join in?" Kathy said, "It's a new simulation, they say it's almost like real life!" She added.

Cathy thought for a moment more, there were some hours until dinner, and she didn't have anything else to do, and so she nodded her head. "But I don't want you two to restart a game." She said concerned about ruining an established game.

Charlotte smiled, "Don't worry, it'll let you in no matter where we are." She said watching her troops as they started to move.


Cathy took the note with the game's address and noticed the wearing of headphones and the use of a microphone. She loaded up the game and her screen opened up.

'Are you a new player Y/N?' It asked her and so she pressed the 'Y' key for yes.

The screen changed to another display.

'Welcome new player!' It said as a voice repeated the over her headphones. 'This is a commander based simulation. In which your decision will affect how your team reacts. In this current game there are already two players. Do you want to make an alliance with one team or to be an independent player? I / A'

Cathy considered this, she could team up with one or the other, but that would just mean they would be ganging up on the other, which didn't seem fair to her. She then saw new lines being added to the screen.

'Alliances can be broken at any time, and then you are free to attack your former ally when they are at their weakest!'

This decided her, she pushed the 'I' key.

'Thank you, you are identified as ... Cathy Douglas! ... No template found, would you like me to create your template?' Cathy pressed the 'Y' key and watched the display change.

'...

...

...

Template created and loaded, your available limit of troops is... 13 ... this has been set up as:-

4 Divisions Armour

4 Divisions Infantry

2 Squadrons Air (Fighters)

1 Division Parachutes

2 Divisions — Unassigned

Do you wish to change any of these options? Available units are:

Armour, Light Armour, Infantry, Marines, Navel (gunboats), Navel (Battleships), Air (Bombers), Air (Fighters), Air (General), Parachutes, Support, Catering.

Cathy studied the list, she had 13 units in total but she didn't like the way they were set up, she added support and catering to the list as these would be needed to keep the troops moving. Then she worked through the teams again before making her final choices. The screen responded with:

Template changed, you currently have:

2 Divisions Armour

1 Division Light Armour

3 Divisions Infantry

1 Division Marines

2 Squadrons Air (Fighters)

1 Fleet Naval (Gunboats)

1 Fleet Naval (Battleships)

1 Division Support

1 Division Catering

0 Unassigned.

Is this correct? Y / N

Cathy answered 'Y' and waited. The screen then announced.

Support and Catering divisions being split between units.

...

...

...

There is a battle currently underway, do you wish to join it or train your troops? Y / N / T

Cathy thought again, but she realised that she didn't know what her troops could do, so she pressed the T button. She was then shown a screen with 11 pictures on it, each one showing a different soldier/Marine/Sailor depending on which part of the force they represented.

In each box were the words 'Blue/Green force' showing they hadn't yet been assigned. Cathy went through each screen, assigning a value of Blue or Green in rotation, which left her with a division of Infantry over! She wasn't sure which group to put them into and so she took out a coin and flipped it. The resultant choice was Blue.

'Please assign positions for BLUE group' appeared, for fun she tried putting a fleet of ships onto dry land. Immediately the computer removed them

"Commander! Ships cannot move on dry land ... or do you want me to add wheels to them? Time to complete task... 4 Years!" The voice in Cathy's ears sounded slightly sarcastic. She searched the screen but couldn't find a box or symbol to press.

Cathy just pressed the 'N' key and said "Sorry." To nobody in particular.

A voice in her ears said, "That's okay commander, I understand that humans make mistakes!" it said.

Cathy looked at the screen but there was nothing there. "Who are you?" She asked but received no reply, thinking it was one of the technicians playing around she shrugged her shoulders and then carried on assigning her troops. Once she was satisfied she concentrated on the Green team.

Once all the teams were in place another screen opened. 'Live Ammunition or Blanks? L / B' Cathy didn't hesitated but pressed the 'B' button, she didn't want any of her troops injured — no matter that they were only virtual she didn't want them hurt.

A screen started to flash. 'Training in progress.

Troop ability currently 50%' the display kept changing until it was at 80%

'Training complete — injuries during training 4% adjustments made to teams to reflect this'

Cathy was concerned; she thought that with blanks there would only be imaginary casualties, not real injuries? "Why did that happen?" She said to herself.

"Commander, there are always small injuries during any training stage, your choice of blanks meant that none were life threatening, this is a good figure." The voice in her ear said reassuringly.

"Thank you, but there should have been none!" She protested but the voice was still silent, she then decided to find out which technician was monitoring her computer.

Then the screen flashed red and a message appeared on the screen. 'Warning ... Warning ... Two armies approaching. Options available to you are Attack, Parley, Investigate. A / P / I'

Cathy thought and pressed the 'P' button, immediately two screen opened up on her monitor, showing Kathy and Charlotte's faces. Cathy smiled, "Hi Kay, Charl? What's up?" She asked.

"That's Kathy!" a smiling Kathy replied instantly.

"Whatever!" Cathy retorted.

"We've decide that we're going to take you out!" Charlotte said smugly

"Yeah, see how well your troops act against ours, and we have battle expertise on our side!" Kathy said gleefully.

Cathy noticed that an icon was flashing on her screen; she clicked on it while talking to her friends, a report came up labelled 'espionage file'. She opened it

'Combined army 110% larger than ours.

State of equipment — Poorly maintained as no support staff available.

State of troops — Malnourished and demoralised, due to lack of support and catering staff. Chances of defections — High

Do you want me to negotiate with troops? Y / N'

Cathy gave a small smile and pressed the 'Y' key, the report vanished.

"I see you think this is a joke do you?" Charlotte said misinterpreting Cathy's smile.

Cathy shook her head, "Not at all, I'm sure you well trained and combat ready troops are fit and fully charged for the battle." She said but the way in which she said it made Kathy and Charlotte wary.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.