Cathy Douglas - Cover

Cathy Douglas

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 19

Cathy Douglas

The three girls realised that Cathy had missed all the action, they went to the room, but she was gone. A side door was open.

Sharon contacted the Communications room and a local alert was issued for information about Cathy. Several guards reported that Cathy had been seen walking around the base, but she was in her thinking mode and so they didn't disturb her...

"But where is she now?" Charlotte asked and the girls started looking for her.

Everywhere they searched people reported that they had seen Cathy, but again following normal procedures she wasn't disturbed. Finally they got to the main gate, the guard there reported that Cathy had passed some hours ago, but she wasn't in a mood to talk and just passed him.

Kathy turned to her friends, "We'll have to use her phone. We can trace her through that!" She said. The three of them returned to the office and Sharon picked up her phone ... before putting it down, on Cathy's desk was her mobile phone. She didn't have it with her!

The three looked at each other in shock, "She wouldn't have gone to meet with the Association ... Would she?" Charlotte asked.


Sharon was worried; her two friends looked to her for advice as she was the oldest one amongst them. "Cathy may have thought that it would be better for her to see them, it could have saved Gwen." She said slowly.

Kathy shook her head, "No, she would have known it wouldn't have worked. Something must have happened to her!" She said.

"So what do we do? Cathy knew everything about this place and what do we know?" Charlotte said despondantly.

Sharon smiled, "We know as much as she does, we've learnt the same things and this time there are three of us! Four if you include..." She signed into a computer screen and contacted Hiram.

"Hello Sharon, what do you need?" The screen displayed.

Sharon spoke into a microphone. "Hiram we have a problem, Cathy has disappeared, we don't know where she is!" She said.

Hiram generated a face on the screen. It showed amusement. "That is the definition of disappearing not knowing where someone is! But why are you worried? Commander Cathy is perfectly capable of looking after herself." He said.

Sharon sighed, "We know that Hiram, but what are we supposed to do? We're not Cathy!" She said.

Hiram sighed, or at least gave a good impression of sighing, "Sharon if you will just consider your statement, you are not Cathy but you three are able to continue without her. Who's the next in command at the Organisation?"

Sharon frowned, "I'm not sure ... I'll check." She said.

Hiram shook his head, "Never mind. It's the 7th Baron of Anglesey. Working as Lord Commander Anglesey current location is Alpha 4." He said

Sharon picked up a phone and dialled the operator. "Can you contact Lord Commander Anglesey, he's at Alpha 4." She said then nodded and hung up. "They're phone back when they get him." She said.

Charlotte looked at Sharon, "So what are you going to tell him?" She asked.

Sharon looked blank, "I don't know. The commander's missing and here are the reins?" She said.

Charlottes reply was stopped by the phone ringing. Sharon picked it up. "Hello, you have? Good put him through." She said and paused. "Your Grace? This is Sharon at Alpha 3, we have a problem and it seems you're the person to help us." She said and listened.

"I understand, but if you can come to Alpha 3 ... No, I can't say why over the phone ... yes it is urgent. Thank you Your Grace." She said and hung up.

She looked at Kathy who pressed a button, after a while Jameson opened the door. "Yes Miss?" He asked.

Sharon spoke up. "Jameson, we're expecting the Lord Commander Anglesey to arrive shortly can you show him into here." She said.

Jameson nodded, "Certainly Miss Sharon, it will be nice to see his Grace again. I take it Miss Cathy has been removed from the premises?" He said.

Kathy broke down and began to cry. "Y ... yes ... and we don't know where she is!" She said between tears.

Jameson nodded, "I wouldn't worry Miss, I'm sure that Miss Cathy is able to look after herself." He said calmly. "I would suggest that you all take a few moments in meditation." He said.

Charlotte looked at him, "How is that going to help?" She asked.

Jameson smiled, "You never know. But it would help you compose yourselves when His Grace arrives." He said.

Sharon looked at him and the way he was watching the three of them suggested he was right. "Thank you Jameson, we'll do it." She said.

Charlotte and Kathy looked at her, "We will?" They both asked at the same time.

Sharon smiled, "Why not, that's what Cathy would do." She said.

Hiram spoke from the screen, "In the meantime I'll monitor things, should anything arise I'll let you know." He said

Jameson nodded, "And I'll await Lord Commander Anglesey." He said and left the room.

The three musketeers sat down in the middle of the room as Su had instructed them to, and closed their eyes, in time their breathing slowed down as they relaxed and then their minds seemed to float...


The three girls were together in a strange room, a man was seated in an arm-chair, he was dressed in a slacks and a top which was white in colour with a stylised Cross emblazoned on the breast. He looked up. "Hello. You must be Sharon, Charlotte and Kathy. My name is Robert." He said smiling at them.

Sharon took responsibility as leader, "Where is this place?" She asked.

Robert looked around, "This isn't anywhere really, and it's known as the Dreamtime by the aboriginal people who live outside. This is where I exist; I'm a former Grand Marshal of the Knights Templar.

Kathy nodded, "I remember something like this, it was some years ago." She said.

Robert nodded, "Oh yes, but for us it was a few days ago, time is rather fluid around here ... Now let's see ... the Knight Commander has gone missing? And you're worried about her." Robert smiled, "It's okay she'll be fine, the prophecy is proceeding as it should be." He said.

Sharon shook her head, "How do you know? She's alone with them. How is she supposed to be fine?" She said angrily.

Robert wasn't fazed by her tone, "My dear child, she isn't alone, she has Chris with her. He's looking after her." He said

All three girls looked at him in shock. "Chris! But he's one of them! He's been..." they spoke together.

Robert shook his head, "At first he was ... but now he's seen where he's gone wrong and is trying to make up for this. He's looking after Gwen Sheargold at the moment."

Sharon got to her feet. "I don't believe you! You're involved in the Association!" She accused Robert.

"Sharon, please sit down. Sir Robert is telling you the truth." A man said from a doorway, the three girls looked to see who it was

"SIR TIMOTHY!"


At Alpha 3 Lord Commander Anglesey arrived, the sergeant in charge of the access saluted him. "Afternoon sir, are you here because of the Cathy incident?" He asked.

Anglesey returned the salute. "I'm not sure Sergeant. What Cathy incident?" He asked.

The Sergeant looked puzzled, "It seems that Cathy was outside Alpha 3 and has vanished." He said.

Anglesey nodded, "I see, could she have been taken by the Association?" he asked. The Sergeant didn't answer but his face told him everything. "I see, what about this think tank of hers, the three musketeers?" He asked.

"They're currently in charge sir, part of the Commander's standing orders, they know the business and have been involved in all aspects of the training. The troops will follow them if they were asked to." He said.

Anglesey smiled, "I see. What would happen if I took over?" He asked.

The Sergeant shuffled awkwardly, and then looked straight ahead. "Permission to speak freely sir?" He asked.

Anglesey nodded; this was unusual for a Sergeant to be like this.

The Sergeant sighed quietly. "To tell you the truth sir, you wouldn't be listened to. The girls are really in charge and everyone knows it, you're known only because of your name, but we've never seen you in action and have no idea what you're like. The girls haven't just gone through the training, but they've been through it with us! And beaten us in the main. Cathy got most of the high scores but those three were just behind her. The troops look up to them." He said.

Anglesey nodded. "I see. So it would be a mutiny if I tried to pull rank." He said. The Sergeant didn't answer but Anglesey could see the sweat on his brow. "Thank you Sergeant, I see where I stand. Anyway the three musketeers have only asked me to come here. I think all they want is some encouragement." He said with a smile.

The Sergeant didn't reply to this but his manner changed slightly and then he spoke again, "Welcome in sir, the Commander's office is just down the hallway." He said and then Jameson arrived.

"Your Grace, how nice to see you again." He said.

Anglesey smiled, "I'm in uniform Jameson so Anglesey is good enough." He said, "I take it you're taking me to see the command team." He said.

Jameson was happy that Anglesey was treating the situation so easily, "Yes Sir. If you will come with me." He said and led the way.

"I was having a very interesting chat with the Sergeant back there." Anglesey said conversationally.

"Indeed Sir?" Jameson responded in his butler tone, he couldn't bring himself to call a Lord by his name.

"Oh yes, it seems that should I take command here, then my orders wouldn't be worth the paper it would be written on." He said.

"I wouldn't be in a position to say anything about that Sir." He said

"Wouldn't you? Has the commander gone?" Anglesey asked.

"It would appear to be so." Jameson said unhappily.

"Who's looking for her?" Anglesey asked.

Jameson sighed, "Nothing official has been announced, I understand that several vehicles from Alpha 3 are engaged in a search, but it hasn't been officially sanctioned." He said.

Anglesey nodded, "Okay then. Where are the girls?" He asked.

Jameson swallowed, "They're meditating. I encouraged them to do so." He said.

Anglesey sighed, "So they're in the Dreamtime, I hope they're learning something." He said.

Jameson just looked at him, "You're aware of the Dreamtime?" he asked.

Anglesey nodded, "Just consider it part of the training." He said as Jameson opened the door the three girls were seated on the ground, their eyes closed. On the screen was a face that Anglesey recognised.

"Hiram? Sit rep." he said.

Hiram spoke up, "Commander Cathy missing, no cars have reported her. The imbedded transponder is not responding. I've tried to contact those who worked on the police control rooms but they've changed their address, I'm searching London area." He said.

Anglesey nodded, "Okay, do you have one of the girl's voices in your files?" He asked.

"Yes, all three girls' prints are registered." Hiram answered.

Anglesey sat in the commander's seat. "Okay Hiram, patch me through to all Alpha Bases, but use one of the girls' voices instead of mine." He said. Jameson just watched in shock.

Hiram's image on the screen nodded. "This is Alpha 3, top alert. Commander Cathy is absent at this time. All cars to be on the lookout for her, any people not activity engaged to be placed on searching local areas, target to find Commander Cathy. Possibly she has been captured by the Association. Main duties with regards to police and Army cover to be maintained at all times. Further messages will follow." Anglesey said, and Jameson heard on the outside speaker Sharon's voice saying the words.

"Link closed Captain." Hiram said, we're getting questions from several bases regarding deployment of search teams." He added.

Anglesey shook his head, "We can't afford to waste time Hiram. The Association would take advantage of that to cause more damage. We've got to face them. I'm sorry to say that the Commander is on her own."

The screen face nodded, "Analysis correct, I'll divert any calls to the communications area." He said.

Anglesey nodded and then picked up a phone. "Communications section, this is Lord Commander Anglesey speaking from the commander's office. We cannot commit any search teams to look for the High Commander. We have to be aware that the Association would use this to their advantage. For the time being we have to be watchful of any attacks." He said.

The communications officer acknowledged the call but then another phone rang on Charlotte's desk. "I'll take that!" Hiram said and then spoke in Charlotte's voice. "Commander's office Charlotte speaking. Hello Rachael, yes Lord Commander Anglesey's orders are correct. I know how everyone's feeling but we must keep running for Cathy's sake." He said.

In his ear Anglesey could hear the operator checking on his orders and nodded, it seemed that the Sergeant was right! Then the operator spoke to him. "Thank you sir, we'll pass the message on." She said.

"Rachael, I know this is hard, but for the sake of the Organisation we have to keep fighting. We'll keep Cathy in our thoughts at all times but the fight must continue." He said quietly.

Rachael's sob could be heard, "Yes sir, thank you." She said before hanging up.

Anglesey sat back in the chair. "So it seems I'm just a figurehead to those three." He said to Jameson who gave a small smile.

"It's a tribute to them that they did ask for you to be here, I think they need encouragement, to hear that they're doing the right things. If only for that then you will be a help to them." He said.

On the floor the three girls stirred, Sharon looked at the man sitting in Cathy's seat. "Who are you?" she asked.

Anglesey smiled, "I'm Lord Commander Anglesey, you asked for me." He said and got to his feet; he helped the girls to their feet and then turned to Jameson. "You'd better get some water in here." He said.

Jameson left the room to return a few seconds later with a tray that contain a Carafe of water and four glasses. "I was prepared." He said.

Anglesey poured out three glasses and handed them out. "You'll find that you're thirsty after that time."

Sharon looked at her watch, "Is that all. It seemed like hours in there." She said

"It's part of the Dreamtime; you can never tell how much time has passed." Anglesey said to her.

Charlotte took the glass and swallowed down the contents, "Thank you your Grace." She said.

Anglesey smiled, "It's either Anglesey or Maurice. You're Charlotte if I remember correctly." He said

Charlotte blushed, "Yes, I'm Charlotte that's Kathy ... with a K. and this is..."

"I'm Sharon. I'm sorry we had to call you in, but we've got a problem." She said.

Maurice nodded, "Yes, Commander Cathy! I'm afraid I've used your voice to let the other Alpha Sites know and to arrange for off duty personnel to look for her." He said.

Kathy spoke up, "But that's going to cause problems." She said, "What if the Association strike in the meantime?" She asked.

Maurice shook his head. "I've given orders for normal operations to continue." He looked sad, "I'm sorry but we can't spend time using everyone to look for Cathy. We cannot afford to let the Association win."

Charlotte began to sob again, Kathy held her, "We're not giving up on her Char, but he's right, it's what Sir Timothy told us, we have to be strong to be able to get Cathy back." She said.

Maurice looked slightly shaken, "You spoke to Tim? How was he?" He asked.

Sharon gave a smile, "Still dead, but he looked good." She said and gave a laugh before she too began to sob.

Maurice heard himself saying. "Okay, I think we need to take a break here. You girls need to..." He couldn't say pull yourselves together; they were part of a team that had lost, if not the favourite member, its treasured member. This called for some shock treatment. "Attention!" he called and the girl's training exerted itself into their reactions as they all stood smartly to attention. "Now is not the time to fall apart, Cathy and the Organisation are relying on you three. They don't know me and so will not do what I say." He told them.

"But you're the next in command Sir." Sharon said.

Maurice shook his head, "Only on the books. In fact you three have more power than I do." He said smiling.

Charlotte shook her head — not really allowed when at attention — "I don't understand sir?" she said and the puzzled look on Kathy's face also showed confusion.

"Stand at ease ... stand easy, no scrub that just sit down we need to talk." Maurice said seeing that the girls were now over their crying stage.

"When I arrived I had to get Hiram to copy your voices to get anything done. The troops are now so used to you girls giving the orders from Cathy, they expect to hear your voices. So any orders I might issue would have to be given by you. Even when I phoned the communication's section the operator checked back to make sure I could do that!" he smiled at that. "What I am proposing is the same type of operation that Cathy had, I'll just sit here and let you get on with the hard stuff. It's just so that to outsiders it seems that the proper command chain is being followed." He said.

"But that's not right." Charlotte said, "You are the commander." She said

Maurice shook his head, "Not really, I'm just a caretaker until we get Cathy back. Now what would you be doing normally?" He asked.

The three girls looked at each other, "Charlotte should be going over the logs to see if any suspicious deliveries have been made. Kathy would be checking separate communications sections for suspicious reports; I have to monitor the available CCTV cameras. And Cathy ... would be deciding on the next step the Organisation should be taking." Sharon said.

Maurice nodded, "Good, now we've got Hiram here at the moment and I think we should also include him due to his logical powers." He said.

"Pardon me Captain but I have found that people are rarely logical, all I can do is to extrapolate the most likely actions that can occur." Hiram said.

Maurice nodded, "Sorry Hiram, I should have said your deductive powers." He said.

"Apology accepted. I do have a possible development." Hiram said.

Maurice was interested as were the girls, "Will you tell us?" He asked.

"It is very probable that the Association will try to take advantage of this situation to cause disruption within the Organisation. I would recommend that all sections are informed that Commander Cathy is missing, in this way the Organisation will be prepared." Hiram said.

Maurice nodded, "That is true, I've alerted the Alpha bases but the Beta and Gamma sites should also know." He said.

Sharon spoke up, "Hiram meant all sections - that will include the training areas and support staff." She said.

Maurice nodded, "I bow to your superior knowledge. Hiram if we're out of this office..." he said

"I will monitor things and pass on any relevant details." Hiram finished for him.

Maurice looked at the three girls. "Okay, so let's go to the communications section and make the announcement." He said and followed the three out of the room.


The broadcast was made and recording shown throughout the Organisation within minutes. It was just a message that Cathy was missing assumed taken by the Association. The command structure was being followed but any orders given by the 'three musketeers' — Maurice's said that — should be followed as normal.

Maurice finished by saying, "I'm here because I have to be, but like you I look forward to when we get Cathy back in charge, and I can return to anonymity again." They took questions from the various sections all along the same lines, who was looking for Cathy?

Sharon spoke up. "We, like you, are worried about Cathy but she wouldn't stop the fight against the Association. So we're asking everyone to do their duties as normal, but when you have time off we can't stop you from doing anything, only we need you fresh for your duties. I ask this because I know that many of you want to search for Cathy, but not at the risk of losing everything."

"Sergeant Osborne, Driver training section. Is there anything stopping us from taking to the open roads with our training?" He asked.

Sharon smiled, "I take it you mean running search pattern training in the field?" She said and then finished by saying, "As long as it's pertinent to the training there is nothing against it." She said with a smile.

The broadcast was finished with several bases feeding back their good wishes and acknowledging that normal cover would be provided. But also several training bases were now sending their people out to train within the capital, where the Association's base was suspected to be.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.