Cathy Douglas - Cover

Cathy Douglas

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 12

Chris Henderson

In the computer room, CJ was accessing the police computer in charge of traffic; he was under orders to cause as much chaos as he could. He smiled at Cynthia, "Did you ever see the Italian Job ... not the crappy remake but the original, with Michael Cane?" He asked her.

She shook her head as she watched him, he smiled at her. "Well there's two great parts in that, the first is where Michael Cane says a line to his mate after they blow up a security van, the second is where they hit the traffic lights causing chaos." He smiled at Cynthia again.

"You're only supposed to blow the bleedin' doors off!" he said in a cockney accent and then pressed a few buttons. On the screen a CCTV showed four view of a junction, all the lights were at red. CJ pressed another few buttons and all four sets of lights started to change to Red/Amber and then Green. The resultant crash blocked the road completely.

Cynthia laughed out loud, "Let's do that again!" She said and started looking for other junctions to work on. Soon they had the centre of London completely grid-locked and the police were running around trying to sort out the mess while the traffic lights showed green on all sides.

"Let them try to sort that lot out!" CJ said.

Cynthia shook her head, "They will do if they can get their control room sorted out, but they won't when I do this." She now pressed a command into the computer system and at the traffic control room the computers started dumping their data, clearing the files and then closed down, causing complete chaos. "They're going to have to restore the whole lot, won't be back on line for 3 days at that rate, and then they'll find that a data bomb been added." She said.

CJ frowned, "What's that going to do?" He asked.

"Just scramble the files so that they can't be read, nothing too difficult, that's if they know the key." Cynthia said shivering as she did so.

"So what's the key?" CJ asked.

Cynthia looked at him, "That's for me to know and them to find out ... relax they'd never get it." She kissed CJ on the lips and then they both returned to their screens to find more mischief to create.


Grogan was happy, he'd bearded Sir Timothy in his den and came away leaving no clues, he went to Chris and they discussed what to do next.

"I see that CJ and Cynthia have done some good work, their tying up of the roads gave more problems to the police." Grogan said looking though the reports.

Chris nodded, "Yes, they did quite a job there, but I'm more concerned about our Cabinet man and that Shadow Cabinet operative, they should have reported in and I can't get a reply from their drivers." He said troubled.

Grogan shook his head, "That doesn't matter; they can't break the conditioning they've received." He said.

Chris sighed, "Yes it can be broken, all that's needed is an expert, someone like Cathy would be able to do it, you've no idea what she's like and then there's the twins, they must be around somewhere now, they're going to have prodigious powers that would make our PDA useless! No Grogan I think we're going to have to count them as lost."

Grogan thought for a moment, "So what do we do now, get the Backbenchers to start making noises." He asked.

Chris nodded, "Yes, they need to tie up the Government to ensure that they cannot take any further actions, without meetings and prevarications. We're going to get them so tied up in red-tape that they won't be able to blow their noses without a committee checking on them." He said with a laugh.

Grogan nodded, "Okay then, lets get it started, the sooner they begin the quicker the Organisation will be so constrained that they won't be able to do anything!" He said.

Although Chris was in charge the effect that Bemalin had over him was making him subservient to Grogan and so he did as he was asked without question.


The news report was short and to the point, '... We've just received notification that Parliament has been convened on an emergency order due to the acts of terrorism that have occurred in the Capital today, there is a rumour that a little used Act of Parliament is going to be enacted which would be of importance to the country as a whole ... we will report further on this later today.'

Chris heard the news and shook his head, the actions he was going to start wouldn't even have come into effect yet, the Back Benchers were still at their offices, although he was getting reports that the drivers were being given instructions to get them to Parliament with the utmost urgency. He went to see Grogan.

"There may be a problem." He started but Grogan didn't reply his eyes were closed. Chris recognised this and closed his eyes as well.


He was in the Dreamtime, two children were standing there hand in hand, and Chris recognised them both.

'We want to talk to you Chris.' The boy, Samuel, said.

'We know what is wrong with you.' The girl, Samantha, added.

"There's nothing wrong with me!" Chris said defiantly.

The two children looked at each other and Chris knew they were talking, but he didn't hear them. The Boy looked back at Chris and held him with his eyes, 'You are trapped inside your mind, you will need to find yourself, this is something we could do ... but you need to do this alone, but perhaps this will help you decide... ' Samuel said and the twins vanished.

Chris shook his head and walked forward, but something made him go slowly, he heard Grogan and Bemalin talking.

"He's getting softer you know." Grogan said.

'I know - it's his good side trying to escape. But I've got that under control; his headaches ensure that he comes to me for treatment and that allows me to tighten the bonds on him' Bemalin laughed, 'He thinks it's helping him ... but keep an eye on him as it could break anytime if you don't.' He warned.

Grogan nodded, "But why didn't you let him run the Association? You'd have better control then."

Bemalin shook his head, 'No Grogan, with Henderson I'd always be fighting him, you however wanted this, you realised how important the Association is and so you allow me greater access. You were the better choice. Now return, I'll talk to Chris when he arrives.' Bemalin laughed.

Chris's mind was reeling now; he thought his headaches were something that he'd suffered, not that had been imposed on him. How could he stop Bemalin from doing this ... but did he want to? He was proving to Sir Timothy that he wasn't the one in charge of things now, the Association was ... was ... Chris felt his headache returning and shook his head to stop it.

Bemalin was there! 'Greetings Chris, still having troubles? Let me help you.' He said.

Chris stood still, he kept his mind watching as Bemalin entered it, he noticed how parts of his mind was being tied down with runes and symbols he didn't understand them but realised that he'd never be able to break them by himself ... not yet anyway.

Bemalin stood back, 'There Chris isn't that better? Soon you'll have no more headaches and then all will be as it should be!' He said smiling but Chris now noticed how predatory the smile actually was.

Chris gave a smile of his own, "Yes Bemalin, all will be as it is foretold." He said and concentrated.


Grogan was waiting for him to awaken, "How are you boss? All okay?" He asked - Chris liked the boss part; it made it seem that Grogan was still acknowledging him as his superior.

"I'm feeling better Grogan, Bemalin has done his normal work on me." He said and then remembered why he wanted to see Grogan.

"There could be a problem; The Government has called an emergency session of Parliament. We've got no real time to get the back benchers programmed!" He said.

Grogan swore, "Shit, that means that they'll act according to their orders ... hey that's what we want isn't it? They'll bring down the Government and cause an uproar." He smiled at Chris.

"But we don't want the Government brought down just yet; we need to hammer a few more nails into the coffin before they were to fall! Sir Timothy is pushing us before we're ready!" Chris said.

"Can't we use the phones and pass the information through that way?" Grogan asked.

Chris shook his head, "We'd never get enough people told ... unless we make it a round robin. Tell one and get him to tell three ... that way it might just..." Chris ran off to the communications area.


Sara was watching the news on the television screen when Chris ran into the room; he grabbed a notepad and pen and started scribbling out the code words that would be needed.

"Sir what is it?" She asked him almost in shock at his appearance.

"No time ... we have to ... call ... call..." Chris was out of breath and still writing out the commands.

Grogan now strolled into the Communications area, "Once Chris has the code written call the MP's on our list and pass the command. They will then pass it on to others in the cells. But we need to act before they leave for Parliament." He instructed.

"Okay girls lets get ready!" Sara said and smiled at her co-workers. They all stayed by their phones, each one with a list of the people they were to call — these numbers were direct lines only, not through the switchboards which would have been noticed.

Chris finished with the set that Sara put through a photocopier handing out the sheets as they came out of the hopper, within seconds the first person on the list was contacted and the message delivered.


Jack Fowler, Member of Parliament for Isdelver West, looked at the phone. 'Why would someone phone and not leave a message?' He thought as the subconscious message worked its way through his mind. He didn't register the fact that he had made several phone calls, some to members of the opposition; he gave a short message to each and then forgot about them!

He was about to carry on with his paperwork when the division bell sounded, he looked up and looked at a small screen in the corner of the room, a screen was showing 'EMERGENCY SESSION — ALL MEMBERS TO PARLIAMENT' for some reason he wasn't surprised by this, he put it down to the terrorist bombing in London as the cause of the session.


In the computer room Cynthia was looking at her screens in shock. "I don't believe it!" She said and began furiously typing on to her keyboard.

CJ was looking on in surprise, "What's wrong?" he asked.

"They're clearing my bomb! The whole script is unravelling! That's impossible!" Cynthia said and there was a click as their speakers were switched on.

"Nothing is impossible, once the encryption is known then it is simple." The unknown voice said.

"So who are you? With The Organisation are you?" CJ asked while pressing an alarm button.

"Oh no, just an interested party. Your little logic bomb was very ingenious; it is a pity that you used it in such a way. It was not very nice of you at all!" The voice said.

Cynthia was frowning at the voice shaking her head. "I don't know who you are but it should have taken months to decode." She said. And began tapping a command into her keyboard.

"My name is Hiram, and I ... Oh I see; you are trying to trace me! ... That is an interesting program, do you mind if I take it!" Hiram said.

"What! But you can't just..." Cynthia said and then watched as the program returned her own address on to the screen.

"Do not attempt to do that again. Your program will be blocked from working again! If you attempt to disrupt the traffic flow again your system will be destructed!" Hiram told them.

"You can't do that! It's not possible!" CJ said.

"I assure you, it is quite possible. I will tell you again. Leave the systems alone!" and the speaker went dead.

Cynthia tried a few buttons but then hit the keyboard in disgust. "We're locked out of the control rooms! Can't even access the CCTV! I donno who this Hiram bloke is, but he's good!" She said

Chris had come into the computer room in response to CJ's alarm. "That's because Hiram is not human! I hadn't realised this before but I think it's become aware!" He said.

Cynthia just looked in shock! "It's become aware? What do you mean?" She asked.

Chris sighed, "We've been getting the plans for a sophisticated computer, it was designed to study and imitate the human response! Well I think we've just heard from it!" he said.

Cynthia shook her head. "It's impossible, not even the Turin program actually works! So what is this?" She asked.

"Yes, interesting isn't it!" He said and left the computer room. He did wonder if he should mention this to Grogan but for some reason he decided not to.


The action in the Commons had been scheduled to be shown live on the BBC Parliament Channel.

The Speaker of the house called on a back bencher, who had already tabled his first question to the list, this was so the Prime Minister could have an answer formulated. The questioner could then ask a supplementary question.

The Back Bencher rose up and then spoke, "Could the Prime Minister please tell us if the source of these terrorists' attacks has been found or if any group has admitted to these atrocious attacks on the British Public?" The Back Bencher, Mark Thompson, sat down again.

The Prime Minister was announced by the Speaker and rose to reply. "Mr. Speaker, in reply to my honourable friend," (all members of the house were called friends, oppositions were honourable and government were Right Honourable), "I have to say that a group has identified itself. And I have to say it is a group based here in England without any affiliation to a foreign group!" There was a general uproar in the House with several members waving papers to attract the Speaker's attention. However he had to follow procedure.

"Mr. Thompson, supplementary question!" He intoned and Mark Thompson stood up again.

"Mr. Speaker! Could the Prime Minister please tell us if this group is British and known, then why was the attack without warning? Or is it that the Government received a warning, but decided to ignore it?" General comments of 'Shame' and 'Disgraceful!' along with the muttering were heard.

The Speaker nodded to the Prime Minister. "I don't understand what my honourable friend is saying and would ask that he provides the source of his information. The intelligence agency had no warning of the attacks and were as surprised as all of us! However... However..." The Prime Minister had to raise his voice to be heard, "If my right honourable friend would share his facts with the sergeant of the house! ... The intelligence service will investigate his claims." The Prime Minister sat down to cries of 'Double talk' and 'Cover-up!' Although the Speaker chose not to hear it!

The Leader of the Opposition indicated that he wanted to speak and the Speaker — breaking with tradition — acknowledged him.

"Mr. Speaker! To forestall any further accusations from our Right Honourable Backbencher. I have a special request ... That the current proceedings be called to an end, and a new session to be held In Camera with all members being present. I ask this as details vital to the security of the Country are about to be discussed!"

"POINT OF ORDER!" The Leader of the Liberal Democrats and the 'Unalined Parties' (Those people not attached to any of the major parties) spoke up. "Mr Speaker! Isn't it right that the British Public be allowed to know what is being decided for them! Are the two major powers in this house going to browbeat us all into doing what they want! I say no Mr. Speaker and should my vote fail then I will lead my party out of the House!" He sat down with folded arms.

The Prime Minister rose to his feet. "Mr Speaker. I have to invoke the 'Safety of the Realm Act 1942' All members in Parliament will stay and attend!" He said.

The House was inundated with several members shouting 'Point of Order!' while others were trying to use their mobile phones to get advice from their offices — phones which failed to work.

The Speaker, already primed for this, spoke up. "This House is now governed under the War Act. All doors are now locked and I direct all tele-visual and audible items to be disconnected. The Safety of the Realm has been put into doubt!" And the television screen went blank, to be replaced by a recorded item of a Select Committee looking into government spending.


Chris shook his head. "Fuck! I thought they couldn't stop the proceedings! Who knew about this War Act? I thought they'd all be repealed years ago!" He said. He had thought that they should have taken over the Speaker but he was protected somehow! And why the two Front Benchers didn't follow their orders! They should have had enough clout to have stopped the events.

Sara came in from the communications room. "I'm sorry sir but Parliament has closed down all telephone lines, even the mobile phones around the Houses of Parliament are affected, it's as if they're jamming all calls!" She had wondered if it would have been better for one of the other girls to give this message. The Leader used to kill those who didn't have good news.

Chris nodded, "That's okay Sara, any new about the two drivers we had assigned?" He asked.

Sara hesitated before replying. "We had a report of two bodies being sent to St. Thomas's Hospital for autopsies." She said.

Chris nodded, "I see, so we've lost them as well ... Sod nothing's going right at the moment!" He looked at Sara and the fear in her eyes, "Don't worry Sara, I'll tell Grogan, he won't do anything to you about this." He said and dismissed her.


Back at the House of Commons the Speaker was fielding complaints, mainly from the Independents, "Mr. Speaker ... Mr. Speaker! What is it that the Government and the Opposition are afraid of? Do they think that they can keep the British Public in the dark over this ... It's already been on National Television! Our Hospitals are overrun with the victims and my Honourable Friends want to sweep it under the carpet! I don't agree to this and I demand that any information should be freely available!" He said and sat down.

The Prime Minister got to his feet. "I'm sorry my Honourable Friend feels this way, what he fails to understand is that our enemies have ties into this house itself! They have planted spies, some of whom are unaware that they have been compromised, for this reason we do not want those persons to be able to pass on the actions that we have to discuss."

A Back Bencher stood up and heckled the Prime Minister. "Bunkum! The Prime Minister doesn't know what he's on about!" He said.

Charles and Paul both stood up! Charles spoke first. "In response to my Right Honourable college I have to say that the Prime Minister is correct. Until recently I myself was under this insidious control!" he said.

Paul then spoke up. "As was I, it was their way of ensuring that they knew exactly what was happening in the Government. Their control was complete and I had no way of stopping them. It is possible that several of my honourable colleges are also affected by this and so will deny it! This, I hasten to say, is not their fault! They are not aware of this control."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.