Veronica Coleman - Cover

Veronica Coleman

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 5

Edited by Jon Black

Veronica opened her eyes to find a younger man standing in front of her, for a moment she thought it was Timothy, but there was something about the eyes?

"Sir Bartholomew? Is that you?" She asked the man who smiled and then looked down at his body.

"Oh, yes, I forgot to say you're not restricted to how you look, I prefer my body when I was 35, much more limber you know." At Veronica's look he nodded and then the body morphed into the man she knew as Sir Bartholomew.

"One thing I must warn you about, although you have decided to join us there is a representative of the opposition present, he will try to persuade you to change your mind, but as long as you remain steadfast that is all he can do. He may bluster but he's harmless to those who know about him." Sir Bartholomew told her.

"So where do we go now?" Veronica asked.

"We're here!" Was the reply and then another voice spoke.

"Mrs Coleman, it's so nice to see you again." The man was the one from her dream and suddenly they were in the study room again, she was escorted to a chesterfield armchair and then Sir Bartholomew and the man sat down in front of her.

"Veronica, may I introduce to you my... ancestor I suppose he is really, we've never got around to sorting it out. Anyway this is Robert de Sable.

Robert inclined his head in acknowledgement of Sir Bartholomew's introduction.

"Bah!" Another voice spoke up causing Veronica to jump.

"Mrs. Coleman, may I introduce my adversary. Bemalin sur Nisir." The swarthy man bowed to her.

"May your light always shine." Bemalin said. "I must admit that I am ashamed that my people did not convince you to join our side, especially after Sir Bartholomew's staff failed so miserably to protect your husband." He said smiling.

Veronica glanced at Sir Bartholomew who was wincing slightly but was controlling his features. "If Crimmonson is an example of one of your people, I trust you don't expect to survive much longer." Veronica said.

"My dear Veronica... you don't mind if I call you Veronica do you? My dear Veronica, sometimes a cannon is used, at others a scalpel! Crimmonson is merely a tool to be used when needed, but you Veronica can be more, much more, when guided properly by our people." Bemalin smiled again, one which showed off his teeth.

Veronica turned to Robert. "I can see what Sir Bartholomew meant, are all the others like him?" She asked.

"I'm afraid so, people who are used to getting their own way and no regards as to the damage they cause either to themselves or others, whether physical or mental. They remove all choice from people to direct them along the path they want!" Robert said.

"Most people are cattle, they need prodding to do the right thing! All we provide is the prods. Where would people be without the laws and the enforcers to protect that law?" Bemalin said sneering.

Robert shook his head sadly, "All very well, if all you're taking care of is sheep and cattle, but people need their freedom, their individuality to live their lives as they want, not how others decree."

"Freedom! It's an illusion! People will believe what they're told, that's what the papers are for!" Bemalin said his voice still sneering.

"Illusions are what keep us going! I'm sorry but I prefer to believe in what I know, not what some nameless face is telling me. I'll remain with Sir Bartholomew if you don't mind." Veronica said smiling at Sir Bartholomew who smiled back.

"Foolish one, you will rue the day you crossed me, you'll regret it just as William came to regret his foolishness, he depended on the Organisation to help him, and they let him down just as they'll let you down." Bemalin said angrily

"William did his duty! He'd never call for help from others. He didn't even know about the Organisation! But I'm sure if Sir Bartholomew and his people tried to help they would have done their best! That's why I'm staying with them!" She turned her back on Bemalin.

But the laugh that he gave out made her turn around. "They haven't told you... have they? How like them. They are ashamed of their failures and reluctant to talk about them. You have a doubt in your mind now?" Bemalin said with a sneer.

"There are always problems that occur, I've spoken to William and he's happier where he is now, I don't blame Sir Bartholomew for my husband's death, I know that if he could he would have helped... but I don't blame him." She turned to face Bemalin again. "But from the way you're talking I would think your people had more to do with his death than Sir Bartholomew's... and for that I will defend Sir Bartholomew's people against you and to hell with all that will happen." She added.

"So you challenge me?" Bemalin was building himself up to a new height.

But Veronica shook her head, "You are nothing, just a voice in the dark! I will face my fears in the real world... where you have no substance!" She said and then sat down with Sir Bartholomew and Robert.

Robert now spoke, "She has chosen her path, and has embraced the Organisation, you cannot touch her as she is under our protection... be gone Bemalin, your words mean nothing now!" He said as if by ritual.

"I will have my revenge against you... just you wait, even if it's on your descendants. I have ample time to wait." Bemalin said and vanished in a burst of sulphurous smoke.


"He always had to have the last words and can't resist a touch of the theatrics." Rodger said shaking his head.

Sir Bartholomew gently touched Veronica's shoulder. "I have to admit Veronica that he was truthful in one respect." She turned to look at him.

"You had people watching when William died?" She said she phrased it as a question, hiding the accusation that she was making.

"Not really! We had people near the place as we had an artefact in the building that William entered, we tried to get to him but it was too late, we passed the information to the police, but somehow the Association managed to get the three men smuggled out of the city and away. I promise you there was nothing we could do to help William but we did try everything to get them arrested." Sir Bartholomew was almost pleading to Veronica.

"Sir Bartholomew I said that nothing would have stopped William from carrying out his duty, I know that and I respect him for that. I don't blame either yourself or the Organisation for what happened. So please don't start saying anything to make me change my mind!" Veronica almost snapped at Sir Bartholomew.

Sir Bartholomew raised his hands in supplication and bowed his head.

Robert looked gravely at Veronica, "I won't say anything either, although we do acknowledge that the Organisation accepts the blame that Bemalin has aimed at us, William Coleman was an excellent person and was well respected by everyone. It was a blow when he died, it was felt by all." His sincere expression helped to melt Veronica's heart.

"Thank you Robert and I thank you for your actions last night." Veronica said with a slight smile on her lips.

"It was the least I could do especially after the way you had been used, it was the very least I could do." Robert said with an equally small smile.

Sir Bartholomew looked interested but as no further information was forthcoming he wisely decided not to say anything.

Robert went to a table and poured out three glasses of wine, "Please try this, I'm told it's an excellent vintage... not as old as I am of course, but then what is." For a moment his body shimmered to reveal an old white bearded man wearing armour and a white surcoat with a stylised red cross on it, then the vision was gone and Robert was back in, what to Veronica had perceived as, his proper form.

"How old are you, if you don't mind my asking?" Veronica asked carefully.

"Ah, yes... Well to me I've only been here for a short time, although I understand that a considerable amount has passed in the real world." Robert looked at Sir Bartholomew and gave a small smile. "But when I last drew breath it was the year 1136..." he stopped to allow Veronica to respond.

Except she just sat there watching him.

"You did understand what I said?" Robert asked questioningly.

Veronica nodded, "Yes, you died in AD 1136." Veronica said simply.

But Robert shook his head, "Oh no, that was the year that I last drew breath, I'm not certain of how but my body was moved into this realm, in which I have substance and vitality but..." he waved his hand in front of his mouth, "No breath or touch. Sometimes that is something I miss." He said with a wistful look in his eyes.

Veronica nodded, "Yes, I suppose you do. But you seem to have everything here." She said calmly.

"Most of what you see have been provided by the thoughts of others, I've found since I've been here that my mind has been working better than before, and I can create things out of... thin air, I suppose the term is." Robert said, "I've even found that I can interact with the 'inhabitants of this world, although most of them are the strangest persons I've ever met, all dark, darker than the Saracens and Moors of the foreign lands, but they are good people." He said.

"I think you're starting to go native!" Sir Bartholomew said good humorously.

"Possibly, one day I must try to interact with them." Robert agreed.

"Why don't you try something small, just to watch them?" Veronica suggested.

Robert thought for a moment and then nodded, "Yes... why not?" He concentrated and before them appeared a small Gecko, its eyes looking at them intelligently. "Yes, that seems okay... Well, what are you waiting for? Run along." He said to the lizard

With a reproachful look the lizard turned and waddled away through a hole in the wall, one that hadn't been there before and which closed behind it!

"That was interesting." Sir Bartholomew said his tone implied that he found it more than just interesting.

"It's more than interesting... I can see everything that my... my, what can I call it?" Robert said looking for help with the word.

"The only thing I can think of is Avatar - that is a being that is your representation in a different realm, which is most probably what we are." Veronica said finding her voice steady as she spoke, which did surprise her.

Roberts face cleared, "Yes, exactly! My avatar, good grief it looks so large everything is so much bigger than I remember." He said.

Veronica laughed, "It would be, you're looking at the world from the view of a small lizard." She pointed out.

Robert blinked and then turned to look at Veronica, a smile on his face, "So I am my dear, yes thank you." And he seemed to withdraw from the two other persons in the room.

Sir Bartholomew smiled at Veronica, "I think that Robert is... occupied at the moment, are you ready to return?" He asked her.

Veronica took another sip of the drink she had been offered and it had a very nice, dry taste. Then she nodded. "I think so; I hope I passed your test Sir Bartholomew."

Sir Bartholomew nodded, "You did Veronica, you did indeed." He said and then started to say some words that Veronica didn't hear.


"... s bad." Veronica said as she opened her eyes, she found herself back in the chair in Sir Bartholomew's office. Wilson was standing by with a glass containing some dark liquid. "I... I don't understand how long was I out?" Veronica asked him.

Wilson checked his watch, "Just under 5 minutes Mrs. Coleman." He said in his normal unflappable tone.

Veronica had a shocked look on her face, "But... I was... are you sure?" She asked him, knowing that he wouldn't have lied to her, a chuckle from the chair next to her made her turn to look at Sir Bartholomew.

"My dear Veronica, time in that realm has no bearing in this world, it isn't fixed you see." Sir Bartholomew said and then added. "Thank you Wilson, Veronica this will counter any effects of the other potion."

Veronica took a sip of the reddish liquid and it did taste nice and her head started to clear, "So... how much of that was real?" She asked Sir Bartholomew.

"It was all real, Robert, Bemalin, you and me, we were all there and did talk, so in that respect it certainly was real, it's just the location that's a bit fuzzy." He said with a smile.

Veronica relaxed from the position she was holding herself and let out the breath she didn't realise she was holding, "So there was no danger there at all!" She said.

"Oh no, there was danger, if you had challenged Bemalin and lost you could have lost your mind, as has happened in the past, that was why I was glad you remained under our protection, or he would have been able to fight you."

Veronica was sure there was more to this but didn't press the issue. "I see, Sir Bartholomew I think I need to consider this further."

Sir Bartholomew nodded gravely. "Certainly Veronica, feel free to look around and talk to anyone you want to." Veronica smiled faintly to him and then got to her feet.

After the door closed behind her Sir Bartholomew turned to Wilson, "I hope we haven't lost her." He said softly.

Wilson looked at him. "No sir, she'll stay with us. She has that look about her." He said.

Sir Bartholomew settled back in his chair. "I hope so, I dread to think what would happen if we lost her and her daughter."


Veronica was lost, not only in geography — it was a very big house, but also in her thoughts.

Here she was in a house owned by a person who had virtually told her that he was responsible for her husband's death. But he wasn't a bad man, was he? Then there was the fact that she seemed to calmly accept meeting a man who died... but he said he hadn't... during the 12th century!

It wasn't rational but she had just sat there believing him, and worse she still did.

In her wanderings she passed a couple of maids who were busy dusting the furniture and then she found herself in the kitchen, the cook looked up as Veronica entered. "Can I help you ma'am?" She was asked which drew Veronica out of her thoughts.

"Err, no... I mean..." She faltered.

The cook smiled at her, "What you need is a nice cup of tea." She said.

"No, I couldn't put you out; I mean you've got so much to do..." Veronica said as the cook went to a kettle and put it on.

"Oh, I've already prepared lunch, I was about to take a break myself." The cook then ushered Veronica into a chair. "Now ma'am what's put you into such a state?" The cook said.

Veronica sat back and found herself taking to a stranger about what had happened.


At school Sandra was half listening to the lesson, a deficiency that went unnoticed by the history teacher who was droning away about the Black Death in a tone that made many of the pupils wish it would visit him, if only to break the monotony.

But luckily for him the only interruption was a knock on the door.

"Enter!" The teacher said in an imperious tone.

"Please sir, can Sandra Coleman see Mrs. York?" The fearful girl in the doorway said, the History Teacher was feared throughout the school, his detentions were the worst — mind-numbingly boring — and so many tried not to go near him.

"Indeed? Well Miss Coleman go on, but I will want 5 pages on the Black Death next week!" He told Sandra as she started packing her things away.

Sandra went from the classroom to the secretary's office; she knocked on the door to find two police officers standing in the office.

"Oh Sandra, I'm sorry to have to call you from your lesson, but these officers..." Mrs. York began.

"I'm sorry Miss, but your mother was involved in an accident this morning after she left you to go to work. We're here to take you to the hospital." One of the officers said.

Sandra shook her head, "No, no you're wrong" she said in a steady tone.

The second officer smiled gently to her, "I know it's a shock Miss, but she's not seriously hurt, if you'll just..." He said but Sandra ignored him.

"Miss York, can you phone the police." Sandra asked the secretary who looked puzzled.

"But Sandra, these are the police." She said.

Sandra shook her head. "No Mrs. York, my mother was at a dinner party last night; she stayed there while I had a baby-sitter." Well it was close to the truth anyway, just that the babysitter was outside all night. "My mother didn't go to work from home! I don't think these are policemen."

"Now Miss, I can understand that you'd be upset, but I'm sure when we take you to the hospital you'll be able to see that we're telling you the truth." The second officer said while the first moved behind Mrs. York.

"Sandra. I can't think why you..." Mrs. York started to say but was cut short as the first officer struck her on the back of her head.

Sandra started to scream but the hand of the second officer covered her mouth.

"Bloody hell Bob, why the fuck did you do that?" The second officer said.

"The stupid bitch was going to call the fuzz, that's why. Just take the kid and let's get out of here." Bob, if that was his name, said.

"I can't take my hand off her mouth; the cunt's going to scream if I do." His colleague replied.

Bob reached into his pocket and produced a switch-blade knife. "You see this bitch, make one sound, just one and it'll be the last you ever make." He looked up at the second officer and grinned. "She'll be good now Jase." He said moving the blade in front of Sandra's eyes.

Jase removed his hand and Sandra drew in a breath, "Now then darling, just think about it." Bob said.

Sandra nodded and looked to where Mrs. York was slumped over her desk; Sandra could see her body moving as she breathed. Jase looked back at her, "It could have been worse love, now come with us." Before she could stop him he took a pair of handcuffs from his back-pocket and had one around her wrist and the other on his.

She was dragged from the office between the two bogus policemen, they took her down the main hallway and out of the main doors, and then she was being taken to a large black car parked near the gates.

"Just a minute!" A man's voice spoke up and he touched Jase on the shoulder.

"Err. Yes sir?" Jase said as Bob moved his hand into his pocket.

"Can you tell me where Cromwell Street is? I'm afraid I'm lost." The man, wearing a sports jacket and a broad smile said.

"Cromwell Street? Cromwell Street? Yes sir, if you go down this road and turn to the right then you'll find Cromwell Street." Jase said.

"No mate, that'll take you into Southland Road, Cromwell Street's in the other direction, now I think you'd better release that girl, or my friend back there's going to be very angry." Sports coat looked Jase in the eyes.

"I wouldn't or the girl get's it." Bob said producing his knife, but it was swept away by Sports Coat's arm.

"She's under our protection, if you Association boys want her you'll have to go through us!" Sports Coat said and the click of a gun being cocked backed up his words.

"Shit man I told you this was going wrong!" Jase said.

"Shut it! We've got the girl; if you don't want us to kill her then you'll back off." Bob said trying to sound forceful.

"Smith?" Sports Coat said

"Yes sir, just between his eyes?" The man holding the gun said.

"In your own time." Sports Coat nodded.

"You can't do that, it would be murder!" Jase said sounding scared now.

"Miss Coleman if you wouldn't mind dropping to the floor." Sports Coat said in a conversational tone.

Sandra tried to do as he said but found her arm being held up in the air by the handcuff to Jase's arm. This was soon lowered as Jase also went onto the ground. "I'm out of here man, don't shoot me." He said.

This left Bob standing with a gun trained on him; "Think about it..." Smith said and aimed the gun onto Bob's face.

Bob threw the knife away from him and went onto his knees. "I didn't sign up for this shit." He said as Smith approached him.

"Well you just stay there until the boys in blue arrive; they're waiting for our call at the moment." Sports Coat said and then patted Jase down to find the keys to the handcuffs.

"But they've hurt Mrs. York." Sandra said as the man in the Sports Coat moved the cuff to Jase's other wrist.

"Smith, get an ambulance to the school, there's an injured person inside." He said.

"Yes Captain, what about..." Smith indicated Bob who was still down on the ground.

"He'll keep, the ambulance won't." The captain, as Sandra now identified him, said and then he turned to Sandra. "Are you alright Miss Coleman?"

"I'm okay, who are you and why are you here?" Sandra said rubbing her wrist.

"I'm sorry, Captain Williams, I'm with the Organisation." Captain Williams said as he helped Sandra to her feet. Sandra just looked at him, "And you have no idea what I'm on about at all?" Captain Williams said smiling.

Sandra shook her head, "Well let me say I'm with the good guys, the white hats... if I was wearing a hat that is." Captain Williams gave a small laugh and Sandra noticed a twinkle in his eyes.

"I'm not sure if I should stay with you, I mean would my mother approve?" Sandra said also smiling slightly.

"Oh good grief! I have to report in, where's Smith?" The captain looked around as two police cars, bells ringing away, arrived on the scene.

One officer came up to the captain, "Any further orders sir?" He asked saluting, and then he saw Sandra, "Sandy? What are you doing here?" He asked her.

"These persons were kidnapping Sandra Coleman; I thought you were aware of this?" Captain Williams said.

"No sir, we were only told that there was an operation going on and that you were in charge, we didn't know what it was. Are you okay Sandy?" Sandra now recognised the officer.

"I'm fine Charley, Captain Williams has been very nice to me, and this one didn't try to hurt me." Veronica said indicating Jase.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.