Radiator Springs: A Zansasi Highway Adventure - Cover

Radiator Springs: A Zansasi Highway Adventure

Copyright© 2006 by DB_Story

Chapter 10: Return to Origin

We made it with time to spare. Of course this was partly because of some wild — safe, but wild — driving down the Interstates. No doubt that this car loves the open highway every bit as much as the twistiest little backwoods road.

We zoomed around and through trucking convoys, while I turned down every offer to race outright that we encountered. Not that I was worried about losing. Sally can top a hundred and eighty, and was more than willing to show it.

I, on the other hand, decreed that this trip was being done at my speed, and not on anyone else's schedule. We traveled fast and smooth, and most especially — fun!


I'd known since the moment I realized that Sally wouldn't be staying here that I'd have to take her at least partway back myself. This Sally can't drive herself from here, and I was in no hurry to say goodbye anyway. I'd fight to enjoy every last moment together.

We arrived early enough according to our Map to have a few extra minutes at the edge of The Highway. I wanted to get out to stretch and catch a bathroom break anyway. This journey was only beginning, and I had no idea what lay ahead for us. What Sally knew about traveling on The Highway she wasn't sharing with me yet.

I'd already apologized, in the event anyone was listening, for the quality of the fuel I'd had to buy at the last stop. Choices are few out here, and I didn't know where I'd find a fueling station on The Highway.

I was amazed at how calmly I was taking all this. Here I am about to travel further than human imagination, and it was like I was just taking a quick break at the rest stop before tooling home.

I'd called my brother and asked him to look after my house. Told him to keep the car for a while longer as well. And work was told I was going on an indefinite sabbatical, although I might be back next week.

I also had time to say "Hi" to a couple now-old friends.


"So you've had fun?" Wilma asked before I could even start to greet her in return.

"Oh, yeah!" I replied, my big grin impossible to hide.

"And now you're about to take the ride of your life," Sam added.

"Oh, yeah!" Redundant of me, but I didn't know how else to put it.

They took a quick glance at the Map I was holding for safekeeping. I wasn't letting it out of my grip for a moment.

"You look all set," Sam said.

"Glad to hear that," I replied, some nervousness showing now that everything was suddenly catching up to me. Traveling The Highway is not for the timid — or careless.

"Any questions?"

"Well..."

"Just follow your Map and you'll be fine," Wilma said reassuringly, before giving me another hug. Sam vigorously shook my hand as well.

Then, almost before I realized it, the Map had ticked down to zero and it was time to start.


I carefully guided Sally out onto The Highway, after checking both directions carefully to ensure no more giant land cruisers were bearing down on us. As I did so I heard a smattering of applause, and saw people starting to rise to their feet along both sides.

I stopped for a moment to resize the Map by unfolding it a bit more and prop it up on the dashboard where that I could see it easily. In return it obligingly became transparent with glowing markers, allowing it to operate like a heads-up display. It also automatically aligned itself to show everything in the proper relationship to this new orientation. Just some more amazing magic of the Zansasi.

Easing out the clutch in first gear we started down the segment, carefully following the green line on the Map. The applause picked up as we traveled down the segment, and I was waving back to the crowd before I realized it. Of course, this had been typical of everywhere I'd taken Sally. Before I'd met her I'd been rather invisible to the world at large.

Before I felt truly ready we reached the end. As the last turn of the wheels in this world happened I found myself holding my breath. Turns out that really isn't necessary.

Suddenly I was gone further from home than I would have imagined anybody ever could be.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.