How High A Price - Another View Conclusion - Cover

How High A Price - Another View Conclusion

Copyright© 2006 by Joesephus

Chapter 2: The Letter

"I don't care how much it costs, I don't want to have to see or deal with that bitch again!"

Cynthia Rodgers, Early's divorce attorney gave him the look, the one that said "stop acting like a child and join the real world."

"Early, all the money in the world can't keep you from seeing her in court if she fights this. She's one of the best lawyers in the state, for God's sake. Even with all the evidence you have she can drag this out long enough to wipe you out and make me a very rich woman. If she decides to make this fight her life's work, she can tie you up until you die. If you really don't want to see her repeatedly, then you're going to have to read her letter and respond to it."

Early felt a black hole in his soul open. His gut felt like his ulcers had developed ulcers. His fight to isolate himself from Susan for the last five weeks had created a scab of sorts over his pain. Now he felt that scab being slowly and very painful ripped off, leaving the open, putrefying sore.

He knew Susan had a brilliant legal mind and courtroom skills to make her a legend... before he had derailed her career. Living with her had taught him that the legal system delivered many things, but rarely justice. He understood she could not only wipe him out financially, she could tie him up with motions and court appearances for years. The little voice in his head kept saying, "If you are so over her, why are you so afraid to deal with her like an adult. She was your wife, your life, and no matter how much you want a clean break..."

Aloud Early said, "If I do this, give my sworn word to read her letter and think about it for one hour a day for six days, can I hold her to her word? Will this all go away?"

Cynthia shrugged. "She's your wife! Will she keep her word? She said there is one request in the letter, a private request, that if you'll agree to consider that one request she will sign the divorce pleading she's drawn up. She said there won't be anything in that pleading that I would object to."

Two months ago there would have been no doubt in Early's mind that Susan would keep her word, but now? This was childish. She wasn't even asking for a face-to-face, which Cynthia said she could force with depositions. "Okay, I'll do it if it's the only way to end this mess."

Cynthia smiled gently, "It's the smart move, Early. Now raise your right hand and swear..."

When Early got back to his apartment he resisted the urge to take a drink. Instead he opened the large manila envelope and took out Susan's letter. It was typed. He felt his stomach knot and he couldn't decide exactly why. Had he wanted to see Susan's strong beautiful handwriting or was he disappointed that she hadn't tried?

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.