Lonely Weekend

by Openbook

Copyright© 2005 by Openbook

Fiction Story: The ex-wife needs a favor, Danny wants to tell her no, but they reach a deal and wind up rehashing old times and past hurts.

Tags: Romantic  

I had just finished a very long and tiring week of sales calls, traveling through three of the five western states my company had assigned to me. I was spending practically all my time traveling from one client to another, making a frantic effort to head off the catastrophe that was looming if I couldn't improve on my sales numbers. It felt good to get back home to my little one bedroom apartment, but I still had a suitcase full of dirty laundry, a week's worth of unread mail and a whole stack of pressing things I needed to take care of before I had to rush off again on Monday morning. This was another week's trip to make yet more sales calls on all the clients in the other two states in my territory. It was 8:00 P.M. on Friday when I got back home. I had been thinking on the flight home about making a list of the things I needed to take care of before I left. Thinking was about as far as I had gotten though. The very first thing on my mental list was to get myself a nice cold drink and to start decompressing from all the stress I felt building up inside. I made a coconut flavored vodka drink with shaved ice and cranberry juice. Delicious. I wished that all my problems were so easy to solve.

I grabbed my cell phone and pressed the button to connect me to my ex's phone. I had programmed the number into my cell during the past week. Kelly and I had met two years before. She liked my looks, my restored car, and the fact that I worked and made pretty good money. I liked her looks, especially her fantastic ass, and the fact that she wanted to fuck as much as I did. I was 24 years old when we met, and had never felt like I had enough time for more than a little partying and a few very casual relationships before meeting her. She was 22 years old and looking to settle down after four years of heavy partying in college.

We met at a party thrown by a college fraternity brother one balmy June Saturday night. Two hours later we were lying on my king size bed, trying to catch our breath after a torrid 20 minute sexual romp. We started really going out together after that, had one of those whirlwind courtships, and two months later, we ran off and got married in Las Vegas at a really seedy wedding chapel, drunk as hell, and laughing crazily as a fake Elvis sang us the Hawaiian Wedding Song.

The wedding was really the major highlight of the time we spent married and living together. A few months later, we had a huge fight that began over nothing at all really, and it just kept escalating, picking up in intensity, until suddenly she ended up slapping my face and running out of my apartment, back home to stay with her mother. I woke up the next morning, still pissed at her, and later convinced myself that I really didn't really miss having her around that much and I'd be better off without her.

After I deliberately made no attempt to contact her for more than a week, she finally ended up calling me. By the end of that conversation, which consisted mostly of her crying and me shouting, I think we both started to realize that whatever hopes we'd had for being with each other were now finished. She ended up asking me to take care of filing for a divorce, and so I went ahead and complied with her wishes. Since there were no kids, or jointly owned real estate, and because neither of us had acquired anything new during our short time together, it was agreed that we'd just go our separate ways. My parents acted much more upset about the whole thing than either Kelly or I. After the divorce was final, we'd had zero contact until this past week.

I had been so busy with my work for the past year and a half that I hadn't made any time to socialize since we split up. I kept meaning to make the time, but had to put it off due to all my travel and the pressures of two bad sales years in a row. No one had singled me out for any of the blame for the sales slump as of yet, but it didn't take a genius to know that the company couldn't sit back forever and watch their sales volume keep shrinking in my territory.

Kelly had called for the past three days and left at least 10 voice messages on my phones. 'Call me, urgent.' 'Need to talk with you right away.' 'Danny I have to see you immediately.' Those kind of messages. I don't hear from her for more than a year and now, all of a sudden, she has to see me?

"Hello?" Damn she still had the sexiest voice.

"Hi Kel, it's Danny. You needed to talk to me?"

"Danny, oh God, thanks for calling! I was afraid, when you didn't call me back that you didn't get any of my messages."

"No, I got them, but I was out of state and just got back five minutes ago. What's so important?"

"Danny, I need you to do me a huge favor, it's like a matter of life or death for me." I didn't say anything, waiting for her to continue. After a long pause, she did. "Danny, after we split up, you knew that I kept the last name Taylor?" No, I didn't know that, but if my maiden name had been Horsely, I'd have probably done the same thing, too.

"No, I didn't, but it isn't a problem for me, you're welcome to keep it." I still couldn't figure how having my last name would be important to anyone else, or make her so anxious to speak with me.

"Thanks, it was the only thing I kept from our marriage, and I didn't think you'd mind. The thing is though Danny, about a year and a half ago I got this job working with the Christian Broadcasting Network as a broadcast editor?" I heard her question, and assumed it to be rhetorical. "I got it because I said I was married, Danny. They don't hire single people usually, it's a family values issue with them or something. Anyway, I love the job, and I'm damn good at it too. In fact, I'm being promoted to be an associate producer. And now, because I'm going to be more easily identified with the network, they insist on meeting my husband." She shut up at that point and I couldn't seem to out wait her for once.

"And?"

"And, I don't get the promotion and would probably lose my job if I can't produce my husband. Danny, all I need is for you to show up at a few things over the next couple of weeks. Tomorrow there's a big Affiliates convention and it would be perfect for me to bring you to it and introduce my husband to the bosses. Danny, I know it's asking a lot, but please do this for me."

"Kel, you know I'd like to do it for you, but this is really a bad time for you to be asking. I'm just getting in, after a week on the road, I'm only here for two days, and then I'm heading back out again early on Monday morning for another week. I'm almost 20% off on meeting my annual quota already, and I'm busting my hump just to try and keep my own job. I've got so many things I need to get done this weekend, I just can't spare the time, sorry Kel." I felt bad, but I really couldn't do it for her.

"Danny, it would only be for a few hours. The affiliates thing lasts from 6 to 9 or so and then there's a little dinner afterwards for the network family. you'd be home by 11. I'm only asking for about six hours, Danny. If they meet you and they like you, maybe that's all you have to do, and I get my promotion and I'd owe you a big favor for doing it."

"Kelly, I don't have 6 minutes to spare this weekend, let alone six hours. I've got to do so many things that I'll probably miss doing some of them just because there isn't enough time. I only called you back because we have a history together. Your messages are the only calls I'm returning. Sorry Kel, I've got to go."

"Danny, don't hang up! Are you still in that tiny apartment on Delano Street?"

Yeah, why?"

"I'll come over there right now. I'll help you get things done so you'll have it all finished in time for Monday. I'll save you more than the time it takes to do what I'm asking, Danny, please, I need this job and I want this promotion."

"Kel, I've got to write up my expense account and do my sales summary, you can't help me with that. I've got to balance my check book and pay all the charge cards and utilities and things. I've got to get my suits dry cleaned and my other clothes washed and packed for Monday morning. I've got to get mom and dad an anniversary present and take it over to them. I've got to get something for Mike and Tammi's wedding which is next weekend. There's too much to do, I've got to go, sorry Kel. I hope you can work it out someways for yourself. Bye."

I hung up the phone and made another drink. I was sipping at my third drink and working on my expense sheet when I heard an insistent knocking at my door. I got up, thinking it was probably a neighbor, and opened my door to see Kelly. She barged right past me and stood in the middle of my living room, arms crossed around those gorgeous tits and a very determined look on her pretty face.

"Here's the deal Danny, I'll stay with you for the whole weekend, I'll make sure everything gets done and you leave Monday with everything done and ready. You give me that time I need and we're even. I won't ask you to help me ever again. We'll help each other." It was the weekend, I was tired and already feeling pretty miserable. I just didn't have enough energy left for arguing with her. I finally just nodded my head in surrender and went back to my chair. I picked up my receipts and my expense notebook and went back to fiddling on my swindle sheet. Kelly quickly disappeared into my bedroom. In a few minutes she returned with two pillowcases full of dirty laundry and four of my dirty suits draped over her arm. She opened the apartment door and left. By 10:00 I was worn out. I had most of my sales report finished and my expense sheet was completed, a real work of art. I was dead tired, so I got undressed and went in to lie down on my bed, noticing when I did, that Kelly had put on fresh sheets and pillowcases. I was awakened about an hour later by a loud pounding on my door.

I got myself up and let Kelly in, she held three packages of my laundry in her right hand, it was cleaned and folded, separated neatly into those brown paper wrappings and tied with strings. My suits were in her left hand, wrapped in those plastic covers, fresh from a dry cleaning place. I took the packages from her and told her I was too tired to tell her anymore things to do. I told her I'd see her in the morning, put the laundry in the bedroom on my dresser, and hung up the suits in my closet. As soon as I had done that, I crawled back into my bed and passed out. I woke up at 9:00 Saturday morning, to the unusual, but very welcome, smell of freshly grilled pancakes coming from my kitchen. The left side of my bed had obviously been slept in, so I didn't have to wonder where Kelly had spent the night. There was another suitcase, one I'd never seen before, lying on the floor next to my bathroom. I wondered when she'd brought that in.

I went in and took a shower and took care of my morning ablutions. I put on some casual clothes and walked out to my breakfast. The pancakes were tasty, the orange juice cold and tart, the coffee was fresh perked and sure didn't taste like the crap I made at home. I tried to think whether Kelly had ever cooked a meal for me while we were married and I couldn't remember if she had or not. We used to eat out all the time. "This is great, Kelly, thanks a lot. I didn't know you cooked."

"Glad you like it. What can I do for you now? You said something about some presents?" I told her about my parents having an anniversary this coming week and wanting to get them something special. It was their 30th. She asked what my budget range was and I told her a couple hundred bucks, max. I told her where Mike and Tammi had registered for gifts for their wedding next weekend and off she went, all my ready cash in her purse, seeming very happy to do the gift shopping.

After she left, I walked over to my desk to finish up my sales report and summary. On top of the pile of stuff I'd left last night, was my checkbook, seven envelopes addressed and stamped with checks written out and needing only my signature. Underneath that were my last four bank statements, all with a written reconciliation on the back. I opened my check register and saw that Kelly had updated everything, including my direct deposited pay checks from the time of my last update some three or four months previously. I signed the checks and sealed them inside the envelopes. Another chore I'd been putting off and dreading safely accomplished.

It took me another hour to finish up my sales report and summary. I decided to also write up a long overdue sales forecast and projection in which I detailed some of the reasons why I thought sales were off in my territory, and plans that I had formulated to try to improve my results in the near term. I faxed everything into my home office, hopeful that the coming weeks sales orders would compare favorably to those projections I'd now given.

I sat back in my chair and took a moment to reflect on how much better I was suddenly feeling. Everything I'd really needed to get done this weekend, other than visiting with my folks, packing my suitcase and suit bag, was already done. I called over to my mom and dad's house and talked with them for a few minutes. I asked them if I could come over sometime on Sunday, just to see them and say hello. They said sure, that they'd be in all day. My dad asked me if everything was OK with me. He has always worried that I worked too hard and didn't make enough effort to enjoy things as much as some of his friends children seemed to.

By the time Kelly got back at one, I was relaxing in my recliner, having a beer and watching a ball game on the tube. She had two large packages, all gift wrapped and two occasion cards for the wedding and the anniversary. "I got your parents a down comforter for their bed and a hand crocheted table cloth for their dining room table. For Mike and Tammi I got a nice set of cookware that was on their gift registry list. It was listed at $349.00, but I got it on a deep sale discount for just under $200.00. It's a great starter set, and they can easily add to it because the manufacturer has a full line of cookware products. As you can see it is all gift wrapped, all you need is to sign the cards."

"Kel, I want to thank you for what you've already done for me. To be honest, I had no idea you were so efficient and capable when we were together. I guess I never really paid much attention to things other than your pretty face and your great body. I'm impressed, and, at the same time a little bit embarrassed, that I never gave any thought to you possessing skills and competencies."

"Thank you, Dan, that might be the nicest compliment I've ever gotten from a guy. So, what's next on your bottomless list?"

"Well, I've finished all the necessary reports for work. I still need to set up a good itinerary for my sales stops next week. I'll do that Sunday night. I already called and set up a visit with my parents for tomorrow in the early afternoon. I guess all I need to do is go with you to your work thing and figure out how to get myself laid before I leave here on Monday morning."

"Get laid? You actually budgeted time to get laid? How do you usually go about doing that?"

"Well, usually, I go out on Saturday night, find a pretty girl and sweet talk her into coming home with me. Once I get her here, I give her the grand tour and, boom, the next thing you know, she's all over me, and in a matter of minutes, I'm getting laid. It' s really pretty simple actually. Almost foolproof. Only problem is, I promised my ex wife that I'd use those very hours, prime stalking hours I might add, that I'd need to find a pretty girl, to help her with her problem instead, and now I guess I'll just have to wait another week before taking care of my little problem."

"I had no idea you had it down to such an exact formula. Does it really work that easily for you?"

"Every time."

"Really, every time?"

"Yep."

"So when's the last time you did it? Went out on a Saturday night and found a pretty girl and brought her home?"

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.