The Hawk and The Chipmunk - Cover

The Hawk and The Chipmunk

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 55

A moment later Brian said, “I just talked to one of the drivers at the airport. Everything was handed over to the pilot, who said, and I quote, ‘get your ass back there as soon as possible.’

Mike turned to Larry Reid, and said, “How about driving me back to the airport, as well as bringing my truck back to the Reservation?”

“Sure, I can do that, but what about papers on your truck at the border?”

“I’ll write out something that should suffice, but I’ll also notify Jason’s contact to pass the word on to the border patrol.”

“That sounds like a solution, so let’s haul butt.”

When they took off toward the airport Mike rummaged through the console and glove box until he found the truck’s registration papers, along with proof of insurance for both the US and Mexico. Once he found these he used a scrap of paper that was in his console and wrote out a simple statement authorizing Larry Reid to use the truck on the trip to Mexico, as well as the return trip home. He figured there would be fewer questions if it sounded like Larry had been driving his truck for the entire trip. When they reached the airport the gate was already open to the tarmac and the chartered aircraft. Larry pulled straight to aircraft’s cargo bay where the pilot and another member of the crew were waiting at a conveyor belt. Mike and Larry loaded the weapons and ammunition from the pickup into large plastic storage boxes lined with foam with additional foam sheets available to help protect the different layers within the container. As soon as they were finished Mike, the pilot, and the other crew member ran for the stairs. When Mike reached the stairs he was rushing so much he missed a step and almost fell. Fortunately, between a good grip on the rail and a helping hand from the crew member he was able to continue into the plane without being hurt.

Once inside the copilot led Mike to the cockpit, explaining, “We’re running short of room back there, so we need you to ride up here with us.”

Mike responded, “I’ll do whatever you need, but can you tell me how everyone is doing?”

“One of the doctors can do better than I, but it doesn’t look like we’ll lose anyone, though it was close on the man with the hurt leg, as well as a couple of the women. We just need to get them to a good hospital as quickly as possible.”

At that point the captain said something and suddenly all superfluous conversation ended and everyone was totally concentrating on getting this flight off the ground. As the plane began to move out onto the runway Mike could hear a little of the pilot’s conversation with the tower. That exchange was one-sided, but he’d been in enough aircraft cockpits to have a pretty good guess of what was being said by the other side.

Then, just after the aircraft lifted off the ground and retracted its wheels, the captain remarked, “What the Hell? They just redirected us to Phoenix.”

“Did they give a reason?” asked the copilot.

“They said something about security and being better able to handle this many people at once.”

Mike immediately replied, “That makes sense, as the person we hit to free these women controlled much of the illegal activity in Southern California, or at least as far North as the LA area. Now, is there a way I can make a secure call?”

The Captain replied, “Not on our radios, they’re just not set up for it.”

Pulling out his cell Mike said, “This is an encrypted satellite phone. Can it be used from here?”

“According to FAA regulations the answer would be no, but since little of this flight has been according to FAA regulations try it and see. If the instruments start fluctuating, at that point we’ll know it won’t work, or we’ll try to compensate in some manner.”

“Well,” Mike added, “since its antenna is directional, rather than broadcast, I suspect it’ll be less likely to have an effect. I’ve just got to be able to key on a satellite.”

The Captain turned to his copilot, and said, “Alex, how about swapping with the gentleman for a few minutes. He can work the phone out of your side window, and if we have to, we can shift the aircraft around a bit until he has a good signal.”

“No problem, Bill,” replied the copilot.

As Mike and the copilot swapped seats the Captain advised Mike, “You’re going to have to make the calls pretty short, as this is not a very long flight. We’ll be on the ground in less than fifty minutes.”

“Thanks for letting me know.”

Surprisingly, there was no problem with the phone, and the first person Mike called was Admiral Burke, who answered on the first ring.

“Admiral Burke.”

“Admiral, this is Mike Running Elk, Longbow’s second in command. Your daughter is safe, along with a lot of other women.”

“Thank God. What about the judge’s niece?”

“Also safe.”

“Mike, since you’re calling, is Jason OK, and how about the rest of you?”

“Longbow was the only casualty. He has a badly crushed leg, but they think he will live. The rest of the group came out fine.”

“How are they getting home? Do I need to do anything from this end?”

“Many of them are actually delivering some containers for the shipper in Ensenada while the rest are making their way across the border in various pickup trucks. They’re clean of weapons and such, but it would be good if they got some help at the border.”

“Are they all tribal members?” the Admiral asked.

“Yes Sir.”

“Good, then I’ll have the border patrol use that affiliation as the key for a quick pass. Is there anything else I can do?”

“They’ve diverted the aircraft to Phoenix for security reasons, and that makes sense. I’ll let Jason’s fiancée and granddaughter know, but if you could help pave the way regarding medical treatment for him and these women it’ll help.”

“Son, I’ll get right on it.”

After ending that call, Mike called Dan Cashman. Recognizing the name on his phone, Dan answered, “Mike, how is Jason.”

“He has a badly crushed leg, but at the moment the doctors say he’s stable. We’re flying directly to Phoenix, and you said you wanted to be the one to talk to Longbow’s family.”

“That’s true. Hawk is my best friend, and Jason’s family has become my family. What about the rest of your men and was the mission a success?”

“Dan, there were no other casualties, the women are all safe, and you already know about the extra cargo that’s being shipped to you.”

“Excellent, but speaking of that extra cargo, what is it?”

“Bales of money.”

“What?” exclaimed Dan. “Would you please repeat that?”

“When the men rescued the women they found money, US currency, baled up like it was cotton. They loaded the bales into the containers they shipped to you. I don’t even have an idea of how to estimate the value, but from what I was told most of the bales contained hundred dollar bills, though a couple contained fifties and a few contained twenties. I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t a greater value than the other containers.”

“Oh my God, my banker here will shit. In fact, we’re probably going to have to move a lot of it around to keep from drawing attention. Any idea why it was so much?”

“It’s almost like they were hoarding it for some reason, though I don’t know if we’ll ever know their purpose.”

“How about your secondary goal?”

“Well, losing that much money has got to hurt his operation, but beyond that I don’t have a clue. We had to leave the area too quickly to do any real BDA.”

“Then I’ll start trying to find out what has happened. When I get some info, I’ll pass it on.”

“I’d appreciate that.”


A few minutes later, Hawk’s phone began ringing. The phone was answered, and a groggy voice said, “Hello.”

“Hawk, it’s Dan.”

Immediately becoming completely alert Hawk asked, “Is everything OK?”

“The mission was a success, but Jason was hurt. I don’t know the details, but his second in command said something about his leg being crushed.”

“That sounds more like the result of an accident than battle damage,” replied Hawk.

“I agree, but at this point I don’t know enough to do more than speculate.”

“Well, where is he now?”

“At this moment, they should be in something like a seven-three-seven crossing the US Border headed for Phoenix.”

“Do you know where they’re landing? What hospital?”

Maria and Brenda had been slowly awakening, but when Hawk mentioned hospital they immediately wanted to know what was going on. As Hawk held up his hand for patience, Dan answered, “I don’t know. I suspect Admiral Burke will be handling those details.”

“Then call me if you hear anything.”

“With this happening aren’t you going to come on up?” Hawk queried.

“I’ve got some other things to take care of first, but I expect to be there sometime Saturday.”

Hawk ended the call and turned his attention to his wives. “Chipmunk, your grandfather’s been hurt. I need you and Brenda to start getting dressed while I awaken Andy. I want to make sure she’s fully cognizant before I tell her about Jason being injured.”

In an almost panicked voice Maria demanded, “Is he OK?”

“Sweets, I only know his leg was hurt in some kind of accident, and they’re flying him here to Phoenix. Dan or Admiral Burke will let us know more shortly.”

Maria jumped out of bed and grabbed Hawk. As she held him close it almost seemed like she was drawing strength from him to enable her to go forward. Then, as she stepped back, she said, “Hawk, run get your shower. I know you mean well, but you need to let Brenda and I talk to Andy.”

Actually relieved, Hawk answered, “If that’s what you think I need to do.”

“Yes, now go get ready. We won’t be far behind you.”


A yellowish-red sun began to highlight the mountains along the central spine of the Yucatan. As the rays of light began to spread from the far mountain peaks a small army of local police, Federales (Mexican Federal Police), and reporters were pouring into the area that once contained the home of the mighty Eduardo Vasquez. Though there was much speculation it was a forgone conclusion something awesome had happened. The house that yesterday stood majestically above the surrounding area was gone, and the hill where it sat the previous evening was now little more than a pile of rubble. It was even more amazing that, at this point, they hadn’t found a single body.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.