The Hawk and The Chipmunk - Cover

The Hawk and The Chipmunk

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 42

After receiving Hawk and Maria’s consent to follow his recommendation on a restaurant Ken pulled the limo out of the parking lot and onto Zoo Drive. When he reached Park Avenue he turned left and drove for several blocks before turning right onto University. Five minutes later he turned into the parking lot of a small ‘strip-mall’ type of shopping center where he parked near the right end under a sign that simply said, ‘Stromboli’s.’ The windows had red and white gingham curtains covering the lower half of the windows, hiding those inside from an outside view. Above the curtains were painted the words ‘Family Italian Restaurant’ in a red script that had been delicately shadowed with gold paint. After placing the limo in park Ken turned, and said, “I’ve eaten here a lot over the years, and I think you’ll find it good, though not as lavish as what you’ve had at the ‘Del.’ I’d recommend the eggplant roll-ups or the grilled olives and peppers for an appetizer. For an entrée I’d recommend either the chicken Scarpariello or the pesto chicken as they’re both extraordinary, and the way they’re prepared is unique to this restaurant.”

“But,” Maria insisted, “you’re joining us for this meal.”

“Little Chipmunk, this is your honeymoon. You don’t need an old ex-cop like me tagging along.”

“Ken, either you come inside and eat, or we’ll just go to Micky D’s.”

Seeing the look of determination on her face Ken relented, and said, “I appreciate the thought and agree to join you, but I still think you should reserve this time with your husband.”

Maria shook her head, and replied, “Ken, if you don’t eat with us we’re liable to spend the evening discussing the business side of the trip, and I really don’t want to end the day on that note.”

Ken had a look of disappointment on his face as he turned to Hawk, and asked, “Is this true? Would you actually be tempted to ‘talk shop’ over a romantic dinner with your lovely wife?”

Properly chastised Hawk grinned, and said, “Ken, I think she knows me better than I know myself. It was not in my plans, but there’s a lot weighing heavily on my mind, and she’s quite right in it would likely become the focal point of our conversation.”

With a relaxed smile Ken answered, “Then, on that basis, I’ll do the chivalrous thing and help try to keep the conversation off business matters.”

Thus the trio lightheartedly exited the limo and headed inside, where they were greeted by a young woman with classic Italian features, and wearing what most Americans would associate as a traditional Italian peasant outfit of a mid-calf full skirt and a simple blouse that hung off the shoulders. She obviously knew Ken, as she gave him a huge, but not a romantic, hug.

Ken introduced them by saying, “Adriana, I’d like you to meet Hawk and Maria Gray Hawk. They’re here on their honeymoon.”

With a bright smile Adriana responded, “Then, welcome to San Diego and to Stromboli’s, and thank you for including us in your honeymoon celebration. I’ll be sure to let Momma know, as she prepares your meal. We’re still fairly busy, but I’ve got a table near the fountain that would be perfectly romantic for you, and Ken can eat in the kitchen.”

Maria interjected, “Adriana, we’ve asked Ken to join us for this meal, so please find us something appropriate. We’re far more interested in your food than in romance at the moment.”

In a mock look of shock their hostess responded, “What kind of marriage will this be if you can think of food at a time such as this? Italian food is for lovers; have you never seen Lady and the Tramp?”

Maria chuckled as she replied, “Yes, but I’ve been living ‘The Hawk and the Chipmunk.’

With a puzzled look, Adriana said, “I do not understand?”

Ken responded, “Ad, Hawk and Maria are Apache Indians, and her Apache name is Little Ground Squirrel, which is also known as a...”

“Chipmunk,” Adriana said with a look of understanding. Pointing to Hawk, she said, “And, you’re Hawk.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Then her comment and her t-shirt now make sense, though I have to admit her quick response threw me for a loop.”

Hawk grinned, and said, “Her responses often throw me for a loop. She’s got a quick mind and an ‘off the wall’ sense of humor. Of course, that’s part of what makes her special.”

Adriana leaned over to Maria and stage whispered, “I’d recommend keeping him. He’s already partially housebroken.”

“Don’t worry, I plan to hold tight to him for a long, long time.”

After being seated and ordering only water to drink Adriana said, “As Ken knows, I normally don’t wait on a table, but since you came at his encouragement, and because it’s your honeymoon, I’m going to make an exception tonight.” She then brought out some crusty Italian bread and three shallow bowls in which she poured extra virgin olive oil and a special blend of spices. “Try dipping pieces of the bread into the bowl and stir it around in the spices. I think you’ll find it very tasty.”

Ken replied, “Thanks Ad, but can you also bring some eggplant roll-ups, some grilled olives and peppers, and an order of sausage and peppers?”

“Sure, I’ll see if Momma can do it as a sampler platter.”

“Please tell Helena I’d appreciate it.”

Observing how Ken seemed a part of the restaurant Hawk asked, “Are these people part of your family?”

“Not really. Ad and I have known each other almost since birth, and her mom, Helena, and my mom are best friends, but there’s no blood link that I know of.”

Following Adriana’s direction, Maria tasted the bread / oil / spice combination. As the rich flavor spread across her pallet Maria exclaimed, “Ummmm! Hawk, you have got to try this. It’s unbelievable, so simple and yet so flavorful. I’ve got to get the recipe for this.”

Ken replied, “I’m sure I can talk someone into providing it, but I can’t believe you’ve not had this before. This is pretty standard fare for most good Italian Restaurants.”

“Ken, replied Maria, “pizza, lasagna, and spaghetti are about the extent of my Italian experience.”

Hawk nodded, and added, “I’ve had a few dishes, but I’m a babe when in comes to this kind of Italian food.”

With a questioning look to Hawk, Ken asked, “Would you allow me to order some of my favorite dishes. If we share, both of you will have three new taste experiences.”

Hawk answered, “I’ve no problem with that. Though we do need to stay way from seafood. Maria has never eaten any, and her honeymoon is not the time or place to discover she has an allergy to it.”

Ken grimaced at the idea, and replied, “No, that would definitely ruin things for the two of you.”

Thus, when Adriana returned with their appetizers Ken ordered for the three, and asked, “Ad, since we’re also going to be sampling from these dishes could you bring us three extra plates?”

“I’ll be glad to. I’ll also explain it to Momma, as she might increase the amount a little so there will be more to go around.”

Maria looked deeply into Adriana’s eyes, and said, “Please tell your mother it’d be greatly appreciated.”

Adriana returned to the kitchen and the three left at the table attacked the appetizer platter with gusto. Then, just as they were finishing the last items and were beginning to look for crumbs to pick off the plate Adriana returned with their entrées. Ken had ordered the two dishes he recommended earlier, the chicken Scarpariello and the pesto chicken, as well as the old standby, Veal Parmigiana.

While they feasted on the delightful meal of exquisite tastes and textures Hawk said, “Ken, thanks for both leading us here and for joining us in the meal. In fact, I think your presence, and your knowledge of Italian food is definitely adding to our enjoyment. Where did you learn so much about Italian foods?”

“Though my father was truly an all-American mixture my mother is first generation Italian, and an excellent chef. My father was a victim of Nam, but my mother and several of her family have a restaurant in Escondido. If we had had more time I would’ve taken you there, but I don’t know if it would’ve been any better than what we have here. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to find some of my family back in Helena’s kitchen, but either way, there’s definitely some of Momma’s influence in the recipes.”

“And what about you, Ken?” asked Maria. “Do you plan on joining the family in their endeavor?”

“No, Ma’am. Though I don’t plan to drive limos the rest of my life I’m just not cut out to work in a restaurant.”

“So, what would you like to do?” Hawk asked.

“Well, I’ve got a degree in Criminal Justice and had planned to make a career as a policeman. As I explained earlier, that child’s death put an end to that. What I’ve been doing the past two years is getting a Masters in Human Resource Management. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to find a job in the field. It seems most companies feel I’m too old for a starting position, but I don’t have the experience for something more.”

Maria looked at Hawk and raised her eyebrows. He grinned back and nodded. She turned back to Ken, and asked, “Since you’re going to be my driver this week how would you like to help me with interviews and such? You might work yourself into a job.”

Stunned, Ken responded, “Are you serious?”

To this, Hawk replied, “As a heart attack.”

“I’d very much like the opportunity. What will we be doing, and where?”

Hawk answered, “The ‘where’ is the next item on our agenda. As to ‘what, ‘ Maria will be talking to numerous engineers and other professionals who’ve been potentially held back in their careers because they’re Native Americans.”

“Hawk, I’m not sure I understand what you’re doing, or how I would fit in.”

Maria looked at Hawk, who simply nodded before she replied, “Ken, we’re working with a group of people who want to start some new industries as well as acquire and expand some existing ones. Due to our Apache heritage we know there are many qualified graduates out there who’d welcome a chance to compete on an even playing field for jobs. Now, in the beginning we’ll be looking especially at Native Americans, but we won’t be limiting our efforts to just those individuals. Also, we aren’t interested in anyone who’s bitter, or who wants everything handed to them because they’re victims. Instead, we want people, who, like you, for one reason or another, weren’t even given the chance to compete on a level playing field. It’s our belief if they get the chance, are treated fairly, and are given a decent income, they’ll become fiercely loyal and productive employees.”

Impressed with what he was hearing, Ken replied, “I’m in, because I happen to totally agree with you. I also suspect you’re talking about a closely held, old-fashioned family type corporation, not a cold, indifferent multinational, whose only goal is to maximize short term profits.”

Hawk answered, “I think you’ve nailed it down pretty well. If this works, will you have any problems relocating to the Phoenix area?”

“None whatsoever.”

“Good, then our next task is to find a meeting place and potential lodging for our interviewees.”

“Does it need to be on Coronado?”

“Actually, Ken, we’d prefer it wasn’t, nor does it have to be someplace luxurious. These are not people who are wealthy, and I doubt many would even harbor visions of wealth. They just want to be paid at a fair standard. In fact, the only reason we’re at the ‘Del’ is because it was a wedding present from a friend.”

“I understand. I’ve an uncle who has a place just west of here. I think it might be what you need, and because I’m involved he’ll give you a break on everything.”

Hawk laughed, and said, “Now, I see the Italian in him. He has a relative for everything.”

Ken laughed in return, and said, “Close, but we’re not as bad as some of the Hispanics. At least our whole extended family isn’t all living in a one bedroom apartment.”

“Ken, I’d suspect that at some point in your family’s past you’d find something similar.”

Ken made a face, as he nodded, and said, “You’re probably right.”

Maria interjected at this point, and asked, “Ken, would it be too late to see this place and talk to your uncle.”

While pulling out his cell phone Ken answered, “I don’t think so, but let me see.”

After dialing and being answered Ken said, “Uncle Tony, this is Ken. Are you on-site? Good, do you have a few minutes to talk to some people for me? If this goes well I may end up with a job in Human Resources. Yeah, I know it’s still personnel to you, but this is what I’ve been working toward for the past two years. Sure, we’re at Stromboli’s, so it won’t take us long to get there.”

Closing the cell phone Ken said, “Aunt Lucia expects him home in an hour, but he’ll take time to talk to us. It’s only about six blocks from here.”

A smiling Maria handed Adriana her credit card and responded to Ken, saying, “Then, we’d better hurry. We don’t want to get Aunt Lucia mad at us.”

Laughing at Maria’s response Ken headed to the limo. He was joined a couple of minutes later by the newlyweds. He thanked them again for the meal while he held the doors open for them to enter. After everyone was situated he exited the parking lot, and a few minutes later pulled into a motel that looked more like a Mediterranean Villa than a modern hotel. The sign at the street said Renaissance Inn. Ken parked and led Hawk and Maria into the lobby, which they both found to be calmly peaceful and delightfully charming. Waiting at the counter was a large, obviously well fed man of distinctly Italian appearance.

He grabbed Ken in a hug that almost frightened Maria, and said, “Ken, my boy. It’s so good to see you.”

“Thanks, Uncle Tony, it’s good to see you, too. I’d like to introduce you to Robert Gray Hawk and his bride, Maria.”

Tony shook Hawk’s hand and turned to kiss the back of Maria’s hand. As he did his eyes were drawn to Maria’s t-shirt.

“First, since my nephew said bride, I assume you two are newlyweds.”

A smiling Maria replied, “Since yesterday morning.”

“Then let me congratulate the two of you. Lucia and I have now been married for thirty-four wonderful years, yet, in some ways, it’s like we’re still newlyweds.”

Ken chuckled, and said, “Especially, if you spend the night at their house. Neither of them are very quiet in the bedroom.”

Tony gave his nephew a harsh look for about ten seconds, and then burst out laughing. “It’s true. It’s true. One of our kids even hung a sign up one night that said Quiet - Hospital Zone. Of course, it didn’t do any good. Now, how can I help the two of you?”

Maria explained to Tony, as she had to Ken, what they were doing and what they needed. Tony said, “Missus Gray Hawk.”

She interrupted him with, “I’m sorry, but I’m just Maria. I’m proud of my husband, but not necessarily the family name. There are a lot of bad memories in that area.”

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.