The Hawk and The Chipmunk
Chapter 36

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Marc pulled the motorhome back onto Highway 85 and continued their southward journey. About fifteen minutes later they slowed to pass through the small city of Ajo, Arizona. Looking at the map Skyler suggested it might be a good idea to top off their tanks. Marc agreed, and pulled into a locally owned truck stop.

After they pulled next to a fuel island, Marc and Skyler both climbed out of the motorhome. Marc went inside while Hawk stood at the door of the RV. From there he watched Skyler top off the diesel fuel tanks, and replace the fuel nozzle. Then Skyler started a different pump to put gasoline into another tank. After thinking about what he was observing Hawk realized though the main tanks were for the RV’s diesel engine, there was also an auxiliary gasoline tank for the generator.

Minutes after Skyler finished Marc returned with several Styrofoam containers of food. As soon as he got back inside Skyler pulled back onto the highway. Hawk eagerly opened the first container, finding a large burger and fries. Skyler asked, “Marc, did you just get what they had, or did you get them to make these up for you?”

“I paid them extra, and they allowed me to direct the preparation. The fact they make their own salsa was ‘icing on the cake.’

“Sounds delicious. Hawk, this Coon-ass can put together some of the most outlandish combinations of foods, yet every one of them is great. I suspect these burgers will be ‘to die for.’

Hawk’s mouth watered as he responded, saying, “Good, because I was beginning to get hungry. Hungry enough I had serious doubts packaged luncheon meat on plain bread with a little mayonnaise was going to be very satisfying.” Going to the fridge Hawk added, “I’m getting some iced tea, do you want me to bring you some, or do you want something else?”

Marc answered, “Tea sounds good!”

Skyler added, “Hawk, how about getting me some, too? While you’re at it, could you cut my burger into quarters. That will make it easier for me to eat while I drive?”

“Sure, but as messy as these things look, I’m not sure it’ll help.”

Marc responded, “That’s OK. I’ll help my ‘li’l baby’ eat.”

Hawk joined in their playful laughter while he fixed their tea and cut Skyler’s sandwich. He carried Marc’s burger and tea to him, and then made a second trip to deliver Skyler’s. When he finished he sat at the table and ate his own burger while he gazed though the large picture window into the night sky. Occasionally he was pulled from his solitude by some noise from the front, but it was still the longest ‘calm time’ he’d had in quite a while. While he stared at the nothingness his mind dealt deeply with the idea of killing Ron. He wasn’t really comfortable with it; but, unfortunately, in one sense it’s just as much an act of self-defense as was killing the real Robert Gray Hawk. If Ron lived he’d go straight to the authorities. That would likely result in the elimination of Jason, and ultimately, the tribe. About forty minutes later Hawk’s quiet reflections were ended when Marc announced, “We’re coming up on the border check point.”

They were stopped first on the American side, but it was more of a casual check for escaping criminals than anything else. At the Mexican checkpoint though, an arrogant major made a big deal about the requirement for them to have Mexican insurance.

Knowing the propensity for Mexican officials to want bribes, Marc pulled out a roll of cash from his pocket and peeled off several one-hundred dollar bills. He asked, “Where can we get this insurance, and how much does it cost?”

The Major’s eyes widened, but he did not try to extort a bribe. Instead, he replied, “We normally have a representative from one of our insurance companies here at the border office. Unfortunately, he has gone home for the evening and will not be back before morning.”

“Then, what are we to do?” Marc replied with a shrugging gesture.

“You will have to remain here until he arrives. If you back up a few feet, you can pull into the parking lot of that warehouse. It has been used for such before, and they will be happy to let you park there overnight. The insurance representative will be here early enough in the morning for you to proceed to your destination with little delay.”

Hawk could see that both of his men were frustrated with these regulations, as well as the Major’s attitude. The problem was it wasn’t a fight they could win, especially as they did not wish to call attention to themselves. Thus, to head off problems, Hawk interjected, “Thank you, Major. We’ll do just that.”

The three climbed back into the RV, and the Major returned to the border station. Marc was muttering profanities under his breath, while he began to back the vehicle to get enough clearance to make the turn.

Then, as he started forward, there was a tapping on the passenger window, which was on the opposite side of the vehicle from the Major. Skyler looked out the window and saw a young Mexican teen. He rolled the window down, and the young man said, “Por favor señor, continuar por conmigo. Conducir el electricidad.”

Skyler looked at Hawk, and asked, “Do you speak Spanish?”

Hawk responded, “Not much, but I think he’s saying ‘please’ and then something about electricity.”

“Si! Si!” replied the young man, as he waved his arm and pointed them to a spot near the building.

Marc followed him until the young man held up both hands for them to stop. When he reached down and held up a heavy duty utility cable, Skyler climbed out of the vehicle. Skyler pulled some money from his pocket and asked the young man, “How much?”

“Cinco dólares.”

Remembering that Cinco de Mayo meant the Fifth of May holiday, Skyler guessed the teen was asking for five dollars. In response, he held up a five dollar bill, and the young man responded, “Si! Si!”

Skyler gave him the five, and the young man handed him the power cable. Skyler went to the side of the vehicle, pulled out the power coupling, and plugged it in. When he turned around the lad was gone. Skyler climbed back into the motorhome and told Marc to turn off the engine and the generator. He then smiled when the lights and air conditioning stayed on. Not seeing all that had occurred, Hawk asked, “What was that all about?”

Marc answered, “He offered to provide us electricity for five dollars. I figured we would burn up more than that in gas during the night.” Pausing, Marc continued, “I don’t know if he has the authority to do this, but since the power cable runs out to us from under one of the roll down doors I figured it’d be hard for someone to claim we stole the power.”

Skyler added, “Hawk, you look like you’re about to drop. Marc and I can level this beast, lock up, and put Ron ‘nighty-nite.’ Why don’t you head on back to the master bedroom? We’ll give our friend here another bourbon, which should keep him down for the night. Just in case he does start to stir we’re going to sleep on the bunk over the driver’s compartment.”

Hawk cautiously replied, “That sounds good, but what if he escapes while you sleep?”

“He won’t. Over the years Marc and I have developed two sleeping patterns. One is for when we are in the field or in ‘combat mode.’ The other is for when we’re back at a stateside base, or similar place of security. We’re definitely in combat mode now, but just in case, we’ll also place some things around that will make a noise if disturbed.”

Satisfied his men had things under control Hawk headed to the master bedroom in the rear, undressed, and climbed into bed. He must have been more tired that he thought, because he never heard them even start the leveling process.

Unfortunately he was awakened a few hours later by the sound of a shot coming from the front of the vehicle. Before he could even get out of bed he heard Marc shout, “Hawk, stay back there for now!”

“What’s going on?”

“We had a break-in, and Ron’s been shot. From what I can see out the window officials from both countries are headed this way. Stay in the bedroom so you can truthfully say you haven’t left the room since you went to bed.”

As Hawk lay back on the bed, he asked himself, ‘Why would that be important?’

The Mexican Major arrived first to find Marc standing over a man in jeans and a dark work shirt lying on the pavement. After looking close he saw it was one of his men, a Corporal Lopez. Looking up he saw another man was inside the motorhome lying unconscious on the floor. Realizing the unconscious man inside was his cousin, Juan, the Major pulled his pistol. In Spanish, he shouted to his men, “Arrest these Americanos! They have hurt my cousin Juan and Corporal Lopez.”

Before Marc could raise his hands another voice of authority spoke from the shadows, saying, “I don’t think so, Major!”

A US Border Patrol Officer stepped out of the shadows. He was accompanied by a Mexican Colonel and several men dressed in black combat fatigues. The two officers were both carrying pistols, while the others all had MP5’s pointed at the Major and his men.

The officer continued, “These men you’re trying to protect are under arrest for breaking and entering, attempted robbery, and suspicion of more than a dozen other additional robberies. Since you acknowledged the man inside as your cousin, and we know the other man is under your command I tell you both governments will be investigating to see if conspiracy charges should be filed against you.”

The major indignantly replied, “You have no authority to arrest these men or to investigate this crime. The incident took place in Mexico.”

“Erróneo! (wrong)” replied the Colonel in a strong voice of authority. Then in rapid Spanish he continued, “Major, you and the motorhome are both currently in the United States. The actual border is behind you by about five feet. I wouldn’t make any sudden lunges for the border if I were you, though, as the Americans have orders to shoot if you do. Now, please carefully place your gun on the ground and tell your men to return to their station before someone gets hurt.”

While this was going on one of the black clad Americans slipped between Marc and Skyler, and into the RV. Seeing Ron in the chair with blood all over his shirt he checked Ron’s pulse. Not finding one, he yelled, “Sir, it looks like we can add murder to those charges.”

The Border Patrol officer walked over and looked inside. He nodded, and turned to one of his men. “Jackson, you’d better put these men in cuffs, including the Major. Bryant, call the sheriff’s office. Tell him what happened, and ask him to bring the coroner.”

Both men replied, “Yes, Sir!” and rapidly began to carry out their leader’s orders.

Turning back to Marc and Skyler he asked, “I need to see your registration and driver’s licenses. Also, I’d like your permission to search the motorhome for weapons. This is just to head off potential problems, but I can wait for a warrant if I need to.”

Marc replied, “I’ve no objections, but you might want to check with Robert in the back. This place belongs to the man who was killed. Robert was a closer friend than we are, since they are both Apaches.”

“Where is this Robert, and why isn’t he out here?”

“He was asleep in the back bedroom when this all happened. Since he wasn’t a witness to anything that transpired I told him to stay back there until things were under control.”

“Good thinking. Would you please ask him to come forward?”

“Sure,” he said. Then he yelled into the RV, “Robert, you need to come on out here. Ron’s been killed, and the authorities want to talk to you.”

Hawk slowly opened the door. Keeping his hands where they could be seen he came out into the central area of the motorhome. He stopped for a moment, looking at Ron’s body still sitting in the easy chair. Finally, wearing a contrived dazed look he turned toward the door, and clung to the door jamb while he slowly made his way down the two steps. When he reached the pavement he looked up at the man in uniform, and asked, “What happened?”

“It seems there was an attempted break-in, and your friend was shot.”

A ‘mournful’ Hawk hung his head, and sadly said, “How will I explain this to his wife? He just purchased this thing for our trip. I don’t even know if he told his wife anything more than he was going off with me and some friends. Even worse, what will this do to the tribe?”

Scott Andrews, the Border Patrol Supervisor, looked up and saw his men and the Mexican Colonel leading the prisoners off to the American inspection station. He was pleased he had arranged this little trap, as there had been six similar break-ins and robberies during the past two months. Still, a civilian had been killed, and that wasn’t good. At the moment, he wasn’t sure he hadn’t just ended an eighteen year career. Turning back to Hawk he introduced himself, and again asked for permission for the motorhome to be searched. Hawk took the offered hand and shook it, saying, “Officer Andrews, I’m Robert Gray Hawk. Though the RV belongs to Ron, or did, I’ve known him a lot longer than the others. We’ve nothing to hide and nothing to declare. All we have is some cash and traveler’s checks we’re carrying for our fishing trip. You’re welcome to look around all you want.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.