The Hawk and The Chipmunk - Cover

The Hawk and The Chipmunk

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 22

When Hawk and Jason arrived at Maria’s room they found her, Andy, and Brenda in deep discussion about the house and other things. Andy left with Jason, saying she’d be back late, as she was planning on staying with Maria during the night. After Jason and Andy left Hawk quietly brought both his women up to date with everything. They especially liked the idea of a convenience store in front and the two security / cowboys. They were also both upset about what had been learned concerning Wilbur Jackson, but were more confident knowing that Jason was getting involved. An hour or so later Hawk said he had to get back to the apartment to do some things on the Internet. Since Brenda had been driving Maria’s car he took her home before going back to the apartment.

When he got to the apartment he discovered a little surprise. The entire apartment was trashed. Clothes, upholstery, curtains, and even the bedding were all cut up by a knife. In addition, the chairs and tables in both the living room and the kitchen were lying broken on the floor. Knowing in his heart this was probably done by the old resident manager Hawk called 911 and reported it. When he finished that call he called the apartment’s emergency number. He informed the person at the answering service what had happened. She advised she’d immediately notify the appropriate people at the apartment. As a result Alicia, the new resident manager, and the maintenance man were there even before the police. The maintenance man stood in the doorway, and exclaimed, “Wow! Someone sure did a number on this place.”

When he started into the room, Hawk cautioned, “I’d suggest you not touch anything, as the police should be arriving any minute.”

Thankful for the reminder, the maintenance man replied, “Good point.”

Alicia suggested, “Why don’t we all wait out here until they come?” Then to Hawk, she asked, “By the way, Cowboy, did you have anything to do with this job offer?”

“Well, I said I’d mention your name to some friends.”

“Thanks. You’ve been a lifesaver. Not only do I have a much better paying job that includes a roof over my head, but the representative for the new owner advanced me enough to keep them from foreclosing on Momma’s house. I apologize though, as I can not remember your name.”

“That’s OK, I’m called Hawk. I’m glad I could help.”

“How’s your wife doing, by the way?”

“They’re supposed to operate tomorrow morning. It looks like she’ll probably be there until Thursday.”

“Well, we should be able to get you in a new apartment by then.”

“Alicia, we won’t need it. I took a job on a ranch south of here includes housing for Maria and I. We were planning on moving before the end of the month, anyway. I’d already told the old resident manager.”

“Then I’ll miss you. If possible, I’d like to get to know you and your wife better. In just the short time I’ve known you, you’ve shown yourself to be a faithful and honorable friend.”

The maintenance man had been listening and finally asked, “Do you two know each other?”

Alicia answered, “I was part of the EMT team that came early Sunday morning when Hawk’s wife had a miscarriage. Later I gave him a ride back here, as he’d ridden to the hospital in the ambulance. Talking as we drove I mentioned needing to make more money, and my mother was about to lose her home. He said he might know someone who could help me and took my phone number. The next day a lawyer calls and offers me this job.”

The surprised maintenance man exclaimed, “Maria lost a baby! I didn’t know she was pregnant.”

Hawk asked, “Do you know my wife well?”

Now frightened at what Hawk might think the maintenance man said, “Wife? I’m sorry, Sir, but I didn’t know she was married. We spoke occasionally in passing, or when I was working around her. She was always friendly, but it never went beyond that.”

Looking at the name on the man’s uniform shirt Hawk reassuringly said, “Charlie, don’t worry. Maria never met a stranger, but she’s been totally faithful to me, even when I was gone for so long so often.” It was a distortion of the truth, but Hawk knew it was the right thing to say.

The three talked until the police arrived. After introducing himself as well as Alicia and Charlie to the responding officers Hawk quickly summarized the situation. After getting the basics they took a formal report from Hawk and some pictures of the damages.

One of the officers came out of the destroyed apartment, and said, “Mister Gray Hawk, we’ll need a number where a detective can contact you. Also, a crime team will be here tomorrow to go over everything. That means we’ll have to seal it as a crime scene until they, and the detectives, are finished. I’m sorry, but you’ll have to find another bed to sleep in tonight.”

Hawk gave him his cell number and added, “Officer, I understand. But I’d suggest the detective work primarily with the new apartment manager, Alicia. My wife is scheduled for surgery at ten forty-five in the morning, and I’ll be at the hospital most of the day. Also, you might want to tell the detective there’s already a warrant for the suspect. It seems an audit earlier today discovered she’d been embezzling from the complex.”

“Is your wife OK?”

“She had a miscarriage early Sunday morning. They want to repair any damage that might interfere with her having children in the future.”

Showing genuine concern the officer responded, “Then, I’m sorry you got hit with this at the same time.”

“Thanks. Do you think we can show the old manager did this, or find out who did?”

“Unfortunately, since you’ve acknowledged she was in the apartment earlier in the day it’ll be difficult to prove she did it. This is basically because it’d be hard to show any of her fingerprints found in the apartment weren’t from the first visit. Who knows though, we might get lucky.”

While they’d been talking, the other officer had been sealing off the area and the front door with yellow tape that said ‘Crime Scene.’ They climbed back into their squad car and left.

Finding out he wasn’t needed Charlie, the maintenance man, said his good-bye and walked away. Alicia remained, staring at Hawk with a puzzled look. Finally, she said, “Hawk, how did you know about the warrant? I know I didn’t say anything about it, and no one else in the complex knows. There’s something here that doesn’t jive.”

“Alicia, are you happy with your job? Have I even hinted at any impropriety?”

“Yes to the first, and no to the second. But, you just answered my question. You’re the new owner!”

“One of them. I’m part of a partnership that bought it. But, you got the position because you convinced Dennis, like you did me, you’re smart, personable, and would be a loyal employee. From here on out it’s up to you to do the job, and only the job. Is that emphatic enough for you?”

A much more relaxed Alicia replied, “Yes. You’re being quite clear. I didn’t get this job, nor do I keep it, by having sex with the handsome owner. Now that’s settled, is it OK if I dream about it, anyway?”

Hawk chuckled. “What you dream on your own time is your business. Just don’t try to make your dreams come true, as my Chipmunk has claws and teeth.”

“Chipmunk?”

“Maria’s Apache name translates to Little Ground Squirrel. I’ve nicknamed her Chipmunk.”

“That makes sense, though a chipmunk with teeth and claws is a little hard to visualize.”

“Believe me, you don’t want to see one, either. Now, I’m going to pick up some clothes and stuff and find a motel close to the hospital. If you need me you can call my cell phone, but only if it concerns our apartment. In regards to anything else, deal with Dennis or Dan Cashman.”

“Are they the other partners?”

“Dan is. Dennis is just one of our attorneys.”

As she turned to head for her car she replied, “Thanks, Hawk. Have a good night, and I hope things go well for your wife tomorrow.”

Hawk took Maria’s Mustang to the closest Wal-Mart, and picked up some clothes and other items. From there he went to the Sheraton, which was about six blocks from the hospital. He got settled in his room and called Brenda.

Brenda said, “Hawk, I just got back from taking a load of clothes to the ranch. I did as you asked and put my clothes and personal items into the master bedroom. I’ll try to finish in the morning, but I’m leaving your computer and anything I brought home from Buckeye in my car.”

“That’s not a problem. I can take care of those things when I get there tomorrow evening. Unless Maria has problems I’m planning on sleeping at the ranch tomorrow night.”

“Good,” she replied. “I miss you and could use the company. When are you planning on moving out of the apartment.”

“Well, there won’t be much to move. Someone broke-in earlier tonight and thoroughly trashed the place. We think it was the old resident manager, but, at this point, the police haven’t got the evidence yet to accuse her.”

“Why would she trash your apartment?”

“I confronted her yesterday morning about the eviction notice. Shortly afterward she came into the apartment using her master key and tried to seduce me while I was in the shower.”

“Oh! So what happened?

“I humiliated her and ran her ass out of there. I then called Dennis and told him I wanted her fired, even if he had to buy the apartment complex. He did some investigating and found the apartments were operating at a loss, and the owner was very eager to sell. Dennis made him an offer and he accepted.”

“This all happened yesterday?”

“There’s more. Even though the closing won’t come for a few more days the owner gave Dennis immediate management rights. Dennis fired the woman and immediately initiated an audit. By this afternoon they discovered she was embezzling more than enough to create the losses, and though there’s already a warrant for her on the embezzlement charges they haven’t finished discovering how much she has stolen.”

“So how does this relate to what happened in your apartment?”

“I’m assuming she figured I had something to do with it, so she tried to retaliate. Who knows, she might have been just getting back at me for rejecting her advances.”

Mulling this whole thing in her mind Brenda suddenly proclaimed, “Hawk, did you say the police were investigating the break-in?”

“Yeah.”

“Then we’ve got a major problem. Their standard procedure is to dust everything for prints and eliminate those that belong there. In addition, they usually run all the prints through the computer.”

“So. Mine won’t match anyone’s.”

“Hawk, think! There’s more than one database. Things have not gotten so sophisticated the City of Phoenix shares its database with the state or the FBI yet.”

“Oh shit! I didn’t think about that. What do we do?”

“Let me call Zed. One of us should call you back shortly.”

A few minutes later Zed called. Laughing, he said, “Well, Hawk, you might have really screwed things up this time, but you did have a lot on your mind. Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it.”

A relieved Hawk replied, “Thanks, Zed.” After they talked a little longer Hawk called Dan to let him know about the break-in. When they finished Hawk watched TV for a few minutes and went to bed.


Candice Brockman looked out at the lights of Manhattan. She’d been debating different options all day. She wanted the child out of her life as quickly as possible. At the same time, if the instant DNA test was wrong she needed to still have access to the child. A few minutes earlier she’d finally made a decision.

Constance Taylor had worked in William’s office in Phoenix. A little over a year before William’s supposed murder she’d lost a child to SIDS. Between the blame her husband had heaped upon her during the resulting divorce and her own internal feeling of guilt she’d attempted suicide. During her recovery Candice and her brother had hypnotized Constance. Under hypnosis they’d gotten her to believe the child was still alive, but had been taken by the pedophile, John Grayson, to become his sex slave. They also convinced her John would never be caught unless evidence was planted on his computer. It was Constance, who, under Candice’s control, had planted the evidence that eventually convicted him. After the trial they’d used some political influence and forged papers to have her placed as the food service manager at the prison. There she’d somehow kept lacing John’s food with a drug that would make his mind fuzzy and easily distracted. At the end Candice had given Constance instructions to drug the coffee given to the driver of the van transporting John. As far as Candice knew it was this drugging which had enabled her brother, driving a ‘borrowed’ state patrol vehicle, to run the prison van off the road, killing John.

Candice thought the child would be a reward to Constance for all she’d done, though she thought the whole idea was full of irony. At the same time, since she still had keyword control of Constance, this was the perfect place to send the child.

Noticing it was 7:00 p.m. in Phoenix, Candice dialed Constance’s home number. It was answered, “Hello?”

“How’s Constance doing tonight?’

Recognizing Candice’s voice she replied, “Fine, mistress.”

“I have some good news for you. We’ve located your daughter”

“You have? Where is she? Is she all right? When can I see her?”

With the same distinct change in voice and tone she’d used earlier, Candice said, “Zander, zander, Taylor, too.”

Now, in a flat tone of someone under hypnosis, Constance responded, “Yes, mistress?”

Having already checked the schedule and booked the flight, Candice said, “First thing tomorrow, you’ll call the prison saying you’ve a personal emergency.”

“Yes, Mistress. A personal emergency.”

“Constance, you’ll need to be at the Phoenix Airport by eight-thirty in the morning.”

“Airport by eight-thirty in the morning.”

“You’ll go to the American West counter and pick up your ticket. You’ll take American West flight eight-twenty to Boston.”

“American West, tickets, flight eight-twenty, Boston.”

“When you arrive go to the nearest Cheers Bar within the airport. Someone will meet you there.”

“Meet someone at Cheers Bar.”

“You’ll need to bring Katrina’s Birth Certificate and Social Security Card. Do you understand these instructions?”

“Yes, Mistress. Personal emergency, airport, eight-thirty, American West, tickets flight eight-twenty, Boston, Katrina’s Birth Certificate and Social Security Card.”

“Good. Now, when we hang up, you’ll remember receiving word about ‘Katrina, ‘ but you’ll not remember talking to me.”

“Yes, Mistress.”

“Taylor, Taylor, close the door.”

Constance Taylor replied, “Thanks for giving me the good news about my daughter.” They hung up, and an excited Constance Taylor packed her bag and went to bed. She slept better than she had in over six years.

Candice ended the call to Constance. Next she dialed the number of a close friend from college who was the Assistant Head Mistress of the school in Bedford, New Hampshire. It was answered, “Hello?”

“Kelly, it’s Candice.”

“Hey girlfriend, what’s up?”

“Zander, Zander, Zee. Kelly makes three.”

“Yes, Mistress.”

“You need to give Melissa Brockman her special medicine.”

“Yes, Mistress. Melissa Brockman, special medicine.”

“Then while it’s taking affect you need to remove Melissa’s files from the office.”

“Remove files.”

“Write this down.”

Reaching for a pen and paper, Kelly responded, “I’m ready, Mistress.”

“Change her name in the computer to Katrina Ann Taylor. The new address is thirty-four nineteen West Kaloat Road, Buckeye, Arizona eight-five-three-two-six. Show her withdrawing from school as of today. If anyone asks about Melissa Brockman tell them her real name was Katrina Taylor. The name Melissa was an alias to protect her from her father who’s now dead. As for why she’s leaving early say she’s going home to be with her mother, now her father’s no longer a danger.”

“Yes, Mistress.”

“By the time you’re finished she should be asleep. Get all her stuff from her room, and, with the exception of one suitcase, ship everything to the Arizona Address. You need to bring her and that suitcase to me in Boston tonight. I’ll be in the Hilton at Logan Airport under the name of Constance Taylor.”

“Yes, Mistress.”

“When we hang up you won’t remember talking to me, only to Constance Taylor, Katrina’s mother.

“Yes, Mistress.”

“Kelly, Kelly. Close the door.”

Kelly replied, “Thanks for calling, Missus Taylor. I should be at the airport by midnight.”

They hung up, and Candice headed for a waiting Limo to take her to LaGuardia Airport. By 11:30 p.m. a tired Candice tried to relax in her room at the Hilton at Logan Airport in Boston. She was expecting her college friend and her daughter at any moment. She also knew she had a long night ahead of her. She was also somewhat torn emotionally. She really had no relationship with her daughter; that had been on purpose. The problem was, at the last moment, she was really questioning the idea of giving the child to another. The biggest problem was William. He could’ve accepted Melissa as John’s child, especially with a trust to milk, but he’d reject both of them if he felt she’d been unfaithful. As she battled though all this she finally came to the conclusion she had no other choice; Melissa had to go, in one way or another.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.