The Hawk and The Chipmunk - Cover

The Hawk and The Chipmunk

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 6

Before Warden Saunders could leave the room Bill called to see when they could get started. While he and John were talking Warden Saunders said something to Brenda, and left for her office. Brenda interrupted, and informed John her Aunt suggested they work in Bill’s area, since there would be workmen in the apartment for much of the day. John passed this on to Bill, and said they’d be there in a few minutes. While Brenda cleaned the kitchen John pulled the top sheet from the bed and covered his computer system. He then pulled the comforter up to make the bed look more presentable. They both finished around the same time, and headed for Bill’s office.

After they got situated, John brought both Bill and Brenda up to date with the basics of what he planned to design, and the software he planned to use. When he’d finished, Bill said, “I’m glad this is your project. I wouldn’t know where to start.”

John replied, “Actually, this will be a pretty easy project, and I want you involved every step of the way. Because of my prisoner status I don’t know how long I’ll be able to work on it. I think we can get the basics done, and then we’ll see what happens after that.”

John turned to Brenda, and said, “As part of your new position I want you to take extensive notes of the planning sessions, and turn them over to your Aunt’s secretary to be typed. I want full documentation of our logic, procedures, and plans. That way, if it ever became necessary, someone else could complete the project.”

“I can try, but I’m not a secretary.”

“Brenda, I’m not expecting word for word dictation, just a summary; something you understand and can communicate to others. Bill’s and my job will be to make sure you understand it enough to do this.”

“That makes me feel better. For a moment I thought I was in way over my head.”

Bill reassured her also, saying, “I won’t let him move on until both of us understand what’s been planned or started.”

“Thanks, Bill. Do you have a pad I can use? I didn’t know I’d be doing this, and I’m not prepared.” He went to a small supply cabinet outside his office, bringing back yellow legal pads and pens for everyone.

After he sat back down, he looked to John, and asked, “Well, where do we go from here?”

John replied, “The first thing will be to design the database. In doing this we’ll look at all the data currently being recorded, any additional data we suspect needs to be added, and the data we’ll need to retrieve. This means either through reports, or through screen access.”

Bill asked, “You wouldn’t start with the data entry screens?”

“No. If you started there how would you know what data to enter?”

“What’s wrong with what we’ve been entering already as a starting point?”

“Bill, it will come into play. But the easiest way to make sure we get what we need is to start at the end. Remember, you can’t access what isn’t there.”

“That makes sense, but it’s very different from what I was taught in school.”

John said, “That’s because they’re teaching you to write programs not design systems. No offense, but a good system designer doesn’t have to be able to program, as long as he understands the process. The sad part is all the emphasis today is in designing the pretty windows, not in giving the users what they need. I’ve seen this both in the data entry side, as well as the output side.”

Brenda interjected, “John, I understand the basics of what you’re saying about starting with the end, but you just lost me with your comment about the data entry side.”

“Sorry to throw that into the pot so early. What I’m referring to is this. Too often the programmers design the input screens with little or no concept of what the entry person will be using to enter the data, nor will they know if the arrangement of the data is the most convenient. Say you’re having to enter the information regarding a new inmate from the police file of the jurisdiction where the prisoner was convicted. Are the input areas on the screen in the same order as the form, or does the data entry person have to skip all over the form, or the screen?” John paused a moment for it to sink in, and then continued, “The second side of this is we’ve gotten too mouse crazy. In some programs I’ve seen the user have to use the mouse to go from field to field. This is often linked with drop down boxes where you select specific choices. These are great features. But for a touch typist taking your hands off the keyboard, even to save the record at the end, is a major waste of time and energy. It’s also a significant contributor to entry error.”

Brenda laughed, “I’ve seen some programs like that. Sometimes I feel I could do it faster by hand.”

While shaking his head Bill said, “John, when Warden Saunders brought up this idea I thought I’d learn some things from you. Now I’m finding, in our first real planning meeting, my entire concept of programming is being turned upside down. So how do we handle this?”

John replied, “This is where the white boards will come into play. What I want us to do is list all the data we’re currently storing on the computer. Then we’ll work through different scenarios and see if we can add anything to that. Finally, we’ll get with the actual users and get feedback from them. Remember, we’re not trying to just transfer what we’re currently doing to a new computer, we’re trying to move the prison into a whole new age, the computer age.”

Bill smiled, and enthusiastically said, “Boldly going where no man has gone before!”

Brenda looked puzzled at Bill’s statement, but John responded, “Ah, another Trekkie.”

“Trekkie?” Brenda queried.

While shaking his head John replied, “I’ll explain later. Right now we need to keep focused on the project.”

Brenda felt somewhat excluded, but replied, “OK.”

Turning to Bill, John said, “I want you to review the existing reports and note on the files where they originated as well as the field names.”

“Our files don’t have field names, just data positions.”

Exasperated, John replied, “Are you shitting me?”

“No. Each file is just one stream of data with each record having a set length, and each field having its set length.”

“Jeeeezzzzzz, what a nightmare! Bill, you have my deepest admiration for even trying to keep such an archaic kludge together. If that’s the case we’re going to make a virtual database. I want you to take each of the existing files, put its filename at the top of a piece of paper then assign names and explanation for each grouping. I’ll also want the starting and ending numbers, the field length, and what kind of data should be there.”

“Kind of data?”

John rolled his eyes for a moment, and replied, “Alphanumeric text, real numbers, integers, etcetera.”

Bill nodded, and said, “It’ll take me much of today, but I’ll get it done.”

“Good. Then I’m going to shift some plans here. Brenda, can we meet with the two or three guards who’ve been here the longest, along with as many supervisors as possible? I want to start getting input from them, as well as lay some ground work for the changes that are coming.”

“John, I don’t think it’ll be a problem. Would Aunt Beth’s conference room be OK?”

“Perfect. But we’ll need to set up the white boards, and provide some snacks and drinks. We may even need to have lunch brought in. This could be a long session.”

She replied, “I’ll get right on it. Why don’t you follow me to the conference room, and we’ll get things rolling from there.”

Bill helped John move the white boards while Brenda began calling the people she felt needed to be in the meeting. She also advised her Aunt, who said she’d like to be there, at least at the beginning.

Within thirty minutes the meeting came together. Warden Saunders made some simple opening remarks concerning what she hoped would be accomplished, and that this project had her complete confidence. She introduced John to those who didn’t know him, turning the meeting over to him, since she had to return to her own meetings.

John explained, in general, what they were trying to do. Initially there was some of the standard resistance to change. But John patiently explained the kind of data they’d have available at their desks or consoles. He described the new ability to retrieve information in different views and according to different criteria. When he explained they’d be involved in the process of designing the system the resistance transformed into impatience. For the rest of the afternoon they brainstormed ideas and scenarios, trying to think of other ways the system could work on their behalf, rather than being a hindrance. They really liked the ability to pull up any prisoner by various means, and to be able to see everything in the file concerning him, including his picture and fingerprints. The idea of a prisoner inventory by cell was so unique to them it took a few minutes for the concept to really sink in. Under the present system they had a list of prisoners and their assigned cell number. But they had no way to show the same information in reverse, by the cell number; nor could they retrieve the names of those assigned to a particular cell. When the light went off in their heads it was a two hundred watt bulb. They added suggestions John would’ve never thought about: prisoner nicknames, expected release date, parole review dates, results and comments of parole board reviews, the linking of prisoners’ numbers for repeat offenders (a current inmate might have been in the system before, and would have a previous prisoner number, in addition to his new one). Someone even came up with the idea of hobbies, and flagging prisoners who didn’t seem to get along with each other.

Warden Saunders rejoined the group around 4:00 p.m. She was delighted to see everyone was working together, and was impressed with the list of ideas John had written on the white boards. John said, “Thanks, Warden Saunders, for coming to check on us. This has been one of the best groups I’ve ever had the privilege of working with. We’re all about mentally exhausted, but it’s been a most productive day.” She then dismissed everyone, and was pleased to observe everyone come to John, shake his hand, and thank him for including them in the process. When they’d all finally left John slumped down in his chair, exhausted.

An excited Brenda reviewed the meeting with her Aunt while John just rested. Finally, Warden Saunders suggested they return to John’s apartment so he’d rest in something more comfortable than the straight back chair he was currently using. While they walked the halls toward the apartment Brenda invited her Aunt to join them for dinner.

“Only if you let me have the biggest steaks I can find brought in. I think we all deserve to celebrate a little tonight.”

John replied, “I don’t have a problem with that. I feel I could eat one of those giant porterhouse steaks from Rustler’s Rooste.”

She paused thoughtfully, and said, “That’s a little over thirty miles each way. I suspect that’s too far to be practical, but I’ll see what I can find close by.” She turned back toward her office.

Brenda and John continued to the apartment, and he was very surprised when they opened the door. A new room had been built around the computer area, and the folding table for the computer was now a built-in desk, cabinets and bookshelves. A door had been added on one of the walls, probably leading to Bill’s workroom. In the kitchen area, there was now an island with a built in gas grill, sans a cover, and an elevated eating area for two. There were also two bar stools pulled under the overhang. A round table that seated six had replaced the small table that had looked like something out of an old cafeteria. There also seemed to be more appliances on the counters. In the bedroom there was Sheetrock where the cheap paneling had once been, and, from appearances, it was close to being ready to paint or wallpaper. John noticed the room seemed smaller. When he looked in the bath he discovered why. The old tub had been removed and replaced by a large walk-in shower with four shower heads. The small freestanding sink had been replaced by a large counter with cabinets and drawers, and an area open under the counter top to allow for a chair. It was perfect for a woman to be able to put on her makeup. The counter top was green marble with an extra large basin formed as part of the whole structure. The green marble went well with the existing wallpaper and the tile on the floor, but it drastically altered the room’s aesthetics. Where before the room was primarily designed for functionality, now it was also a thing of quiet beauty. John was very pleased with his new home. It was far more than he could’ve imagined.

Brenda encouraged him to get comfortable in the recliner. As his mind began to relax, he felt something icy cold on his cheek. He quickly opened his eyes to see an iced mug, full of beer. “I thought this might help you come down, after such an exhausting day.”

“Thanks, Brenda, it will. This is the first beer I’ve had in almost six years.” After taking a large swallow he added, “I’d almost forgotten how good one of these could taste at times like this.”

She sat in the love seat beside him, and for the next forty-five minutes they discussed some of the ideas that had come up during the day. He also explained more about the concept of relational databases. He was surprised how quickly she was gaining a grasp of the basics.

They’d almost finished their second beer when Warden Saunders arrived with a large plastic bag. Inside were Styrofoam containers, but instead of each being an individual plate they were filled with like foods. Brenda got out plates and silverware while John helped get the food set up. In one container there were three beautiful steaks: two nice rib-eyes and a giant porterhouse. In another container were three baked potatoes and rolls. In a third was salad while others contained a steamed vegetable medley covered in real butter, ranch dressing for the salads, fried mushrooms, and a batter fried onion bloom with its own dressing. It was definitely a meal fit for a king.

Looking at their beers Warden Saunders said, “Those really shouldn’t be here, but right now I could use one or two myself.”

Brenda fixed her Aunt a beer, and they all sat to eat. John again bowed his head in silent thanks for the wonderful meal, and even more, for the wonderful friends. After observing his ritual Warden Saunders asked, “John, are you a religious person?”

“I don’t know. I was raised to believe there was a God, but I’ve trouble understanding how a loving God could take my parents like he did, or allow me to be setup for crimes I didn’t commit, and ending up in here.”

Brenda said, “But, if you’d not come here we might not have met.”

“True, and please don’t be offended, but it’ll take a very large amount of ‘positive time’ with you, to make up for the hell I’ve gone through for the past six years.”

Stunned at his remark Warden Saunders asked, “Has it really been that bad?”

“Warden, I’ve been raped, beaten, humiliated, and peed on. I’ve been betrayed by my wife, and lost both my parents before I was barely a teen. Now I’m an innocent person stuck in a prison with no future, and no way to prove my innocence. If there is a hell, how can it be worse than what I’ve already experienced?” He couldn’t help himself, he started crying.

Lost in his emotions and tears John suddenly felt both women comforting him, one on each side. They weren’t trying to make the feelings go away, as so many would’ve. They were trying to go through the emotions with him. They were saying it was OK to feel these things, and to cry. At that moment he missed his mother more than he had since she’d died, and it just turned the tear faucet up another notch. Finally, John got a hold of emotions enough he dried his eyes, hugged the women in his arms, and tried to smile.

He sadly stated, “I’m sorry I ruined our celebration dinner.”

Warden Saunders replied, “John, you didn’t ruin anything. That’s what microwaves are for. But the release you just experienced is a very important step for your future. It should also remind you you’re human, and we accept you that way. I suspect too many people have placed expectations on you, to the point you doubted your humanity. That would’ve magnified the feeling and events that came with this place.”

John tried to give a little smile while he replied, “Thanks.”

Brenda and her Aunt jumped up and started reheating things. In just a few minutes they were eating the great meal they’d intended to eat what seemed like eons ago. To John the emotional catharsis he’d experienced, seemed to have lasted at least a year. When they finished eating, the three worked together to clean up. John said, “Brenda, please don’t take this as rejection, but I really need to be alone tonight.”

She tried to give him an understanding smile when she replied, “It’s OK.” She wasn’t sure how successful she was, because she was hurting for him so badly. She just wanted to hold him and comfort him, but she was trying to give him space her heart just didn’t want to yield.

After the two women left, he sat in the recliner, flipping channels until he fell asleep.

The next few days were a madhouse. The databases were designed and created. John worked thirty-nine hours straight when programming the basic data entry and query screens. While he was working on that Bill used John’s Data Extraction program to start populating the primary database with the information from the old system. Brenda’s job was to have mug shots and fingerprints scanned, and placed in the appropriate fields. By Thursday night John was able to put a sampling of what they’d done on a laptop. He then set up a PowerPoint presentation. It showed the old versus the new system, and the information available. The new linking of information was also displayed. These were links that had never been accessible before, except by going to the administrative office and pulling the hard copy file. He believed it was sufficient to give Mary Beth (which Warden Saunders asked him to call her when others weren’t around) the tools she needed to make her case to the governor for the additional funds.

The system was far from complete, but John had accomplished more in a few days than most systems analysts could’ve accomplished in a few months. At the same time, there were security issues to be addressed. Somehow they had to link in the inactive records from inmates who’d been released, transferred, or who were dead. There was also the task of linking their records with those of the other prisons over the Internet, and providing secure access to the other prisons as well as various police and state agencies. Finally there was the entry of all the data from the paper files and the unwritten information from the minds of the guards. These would still take months to accomplish.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.