The Hawk and The Chipmunk - Cover

The Hawk and The Chipmunk

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 3

John awoke with a start, and looked around the room. It was just like he remembered it the night before, and that did nothing to dissipate the confusion flooding his mind. The best way he’d describe the situation was his world was upside down, and, if that was uncomfortable in the real world, it was downright terrifying in prison!

He’d been released from the hospital more than a week ago, but, for some unknown reason, he was still being confined to a section of the prison infirmary. He was back to wearing one of those orange prison jumpsuit / overall affairs, and there was a guard outside of his door, but, otherwise, it seemed more like he was in a motel room than a prison.

When they moved him into this room it’d been an injury ward. The five hospital beds were immediately removed and replaced by a queen-sized bed. A Lazy-boy and two love seats formed a ‘U’ shaped arrangement with a forty-five inch HDTV closing off the other end. Shit, there were even curtains on the fucking windows! Whoever heard of curtains in prison?

Even stranger were the meals he’d been getting. If the other prisoners knew he was eating like he was they’d have lynched him within the hour. Thick country ham steaks with homemade potato salad, fresh green beans, and Mexican style fried cornbread with jalapeno peppers. Rib eye steaks! Chicken Marsala! Pork barbecue! and more. John honestly felt like a turkey being fattened up for Thanksgiving.

The strangest things were the daily visits by Warden Saunders and Brenda, whom he’d learned was the Warden’s Niece. They seemed genuinely interested in how he was doing, and if he needed anything. The Warden even asked if having the walls painted, and pictures added, would make it feel less like a prison cell. When John replied it probably would she said she’d have it painted as soon as he picked out the colors.

This last was almost too much for John’s fragile emotional state. Warden Saunders was never harsh or cruel to the prisoners. But she was a no nonsense ‘take names and kick ass’ type of person. Well, actually she had to be that way to run a prison. The inmates didn’t fear her, but they respected her. They knew she tended to respond in kind. If you’re pleasant and cooperative, she’d reward you, even if it was just with one of her smiles that could light up the darkest room in the ‘hole’ (solitary). But if you were belligerent, antagonistic, or thought you could intimidate her she’d tear you a new asshole in a heart-beat.

Prison might not be a wonderful place, but John had come to feel a sense of security in the consistency. Now that feeling of security was in a weird state of flux that made him almost feel the inmates were running the asylum. Not that he was complaining, you understand, but when a person has been in lockup for almost five years he tends to get paranoid. John remembered Lester saying, “The first thing that happens when you come into a place like this, is you discover you’ve virtually no freedoms, and no rights. What the guards and the system don’t take away, the other prisoners will.” John had been without any basic choices or freedoms for more than five years. It was miserable, but it was what ‘was.’ Now he was being asked about decorating his room, making his own color choices. In addition, each morning he was even given a menu from which to choose what he wanted for the next few days’ meals.

The final straw was a few minutes past midday on a Wednesday afternoon, with his lunch was due any minute, there was a knock on the door - no one knocks on a prisoner’s door. In fact, the only doors prisoners normally have are barred cell doors. John opened the door, and there stood Warden Saunders waiting for him to invite her into his room. John was too young to remember the ‘Twilight Zone, ‘ but if he had he would’ve been certain he was caught up in one of the episodes. After standing there staring at her until she cleared her throat John invited her to enter. She came just inside the room, softly placed her hand on his arm, and asked, “John, would it be possible to arrange an appointment with you this afternoon, at about two-fifteen? I’ve some people I want you to meet, and we want to discuss some things with you. I thought it might be easier to do it in here.”

He was still in a state of shock; so shocked at this whole idea he stuttered and stammered for a few moments before he finally answered, “I haven’t checked my social calendar, but I think it’s OK.”

She started laughing at his comment, and then she put her arms around him and gave him a hug. It wasn’t a sexual embrace, but was loving, just the same. When she let go John noticed tears in her eyes while she said, “Son, I just wish I could adopt you.” With that she twirled, and left the room. Life was getting stranger and stranger.

A few minutes later there was another knock at the door. John opened it and there was Brenda wearing a light mauve peasant blouse pulled down off of her shoulders and a slate blue full style skirt that came to just above her knees. Both the collar of the blouse and bottom three inches of the skirt were intricate lace, dyed to match the rest of the garment. She was pushing a cart, and said, “Lunch time.”

He opened the door the rest of the way, bowed slightly, and said, “Enter, My Lady,” as he gestured for her to enter with a sweep of his right arm. His left shoulder, and upper arm were still taped, and the aluminum and foam splints were still on three fingers of his left hand.

Her eyes lit up brightly at his ‘courtly’ gesture, and she started giggling. Her giggle was like tiny wind chimes tinkling in a soft breeze. She pulled the cart over to the table, and asked, “Do you mind if I eat with you? I figured you could use the company.”

John smiled, and said, “I’d love the company. So what’s for lunch today?”

Brenda was setting places at the table while she answered, “Grilled Salmon with dill, Potatoes Anna, a medley of steamed vegetables, and cheese garlic toast. I have a berry cobbler for desert.”

“Wow, sounds delicious. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten so good. Who’s preparing this wonderful food, and how do they justify it in the budget?”

Looking forlornly at the floor she replied, “I am, and I’m buying the stuff with my own money.”

John was stunned. “Brenda, you don’t have to do something like this; not out of gratitude, or out of pity.”

There were tears in her eyes when she said, “John, it’ll make more sense after the meeting this afternoon. But, for now, let’s just say it was done out of love.”

“Love?”

“John, please. Wait a little longer, and let my Aunt explain, OK? I think it’ll be far better if you do.” When John nodded, she said, “Good, Let’s eat.”

The meal was very good, and by the time they finished the dessert, John was stuffed. He thought, If they wanted me for the Thanksgiving turkey, it was a perfect time. They wouldn’t have had to make corn-bread dressing to stuff me; there wouldn’t have been any room!

When they got up from the table Brenda refused John’s offer to help clean up, suggesting he should just relax instead. John turned some light classical music on as a background, and relaxed in the Lazy-boy to the point of almost falling asleep.

While John was falling deeper and deeper into the music there was a knock at the door. Brenda answered and ushered her Aunt and several others into the room. They came over to the two love seats, and sat. There wasn’t room for Brenda, so she brought a chair from the dining area, and sat next to the Lazy-boy.

Warden Saunders introduced the others in the room, and explained, “John, while you were in the hospital we were doing some investigating. Because of something that happened while you were a hostage I’d some serious questions about your guilt. I apologize for violating your privacy, but you were tested in various ways while you were still unconscious and / or under hypnosis. Because of the results of your tests we did some deeper investigating into your case. We’re now certain, without a doubt, you’re innocent of all the charges.”

An astonished John thought, Wow!!! They know I’m innocent!

Excitedly, he asked, “So when can I go free?”

There was a sad look on her face that shoved a spike up the ass of his excitement. She explained, “John, we know you’re innocent, as do most of the important people in this prison, but we can’t prove it in a court of law. We can’t get the case reopened, and we can’t take this to the governor without evidence we don’t have.” Handing him a sheet of paper she said, “Maybe this will help you understand.”

Confused, John began to read the summary. He was impressed, they’d done as good a job on this as anyone could’ve. It didn’t take him long to see the obvious fact he’d been betrayed by his ‘loving wife.’ At that point the anger and rage he’d felt just before he attacked Jerome began to permeate his body. Realizing those emotions needed to be suppressed, for the moment, John took several deep breaths and tried to relax. John’s anger was still somewhat evident in his face when he looked at the Warden, and said, “So my ‘loving wife’ sets up this elaborate frame, removes all the evidence and ‘hangs me out to dry.’ Pardon my French, but that sucks.”

“We happen to agree. What I’ve decided is to try to allow you as much freedom as we can provide without setting off alarms. The guard supervisors and some of the more important inmates are aware of your situation. They expect to keep your life from being hell out there. We’ll use this part of the infirmary as your apartment. Within reason, we’ll get you anything you ask for.”

“How about a computer?”

“That was another area I wanted to talk to you about. If I provide you a computer I want you to promise me a few things.”

“Such as?”

“First, you’ll not use it for hacking into other systems, or to do anything that could bring retribution back upon those of us who are trying to help you.”

“I can readily agree with that.”

“Second, you’ll work with the system here, and maybe with other prisons in the system, to streamline operations. You’ve knowledge and expertise we could never afford to go out and hire.”

“It would give me a challenge and a feeling of accomplishment, I can agree with that, also.”

“Third, we’d like you to help teach some of the short term inmates computer skills they can use to get a decent job when they leave.”

“Again, I don’t have a problem with that. Now, I’ve some questions, Will I have access to the Internet?”

“John, we’ve a T-three line, so that’s no problem. Now, your history file will have to be monitored, so I suggest you not visit any sites that could be considered pornographic, just in case there would happen to be child porn on the site. We don’t need to be beaten to death over that issue. We’ll set you up with an e-mail address within the administrative area, just as though you were an employee. Unfortunately, we’ll have to review those, also.”

“Warden, considering the circumstances, I’d say those are reasonable requests. What about stock trading?”

“Do you have anything to work with?”

“Let’s just say I had some ‘mad money’ buried where my wife couldn’t get to it.”

“Don’t you mean ex-wife?”

“Is - Your name’s Deke, right?” When he nodded, John said, “You’re the lawyer, can a divorce be finalized if the husband is never served?”

“Only in very unusual circumstances. So you want me to check?”

“Yes, if you would, because there’s a prenuptial agreement that gives her virtually nothing.”

Deke slammed his forehead with his open palm. “Prenuptial agreement, why didn’t I think of that? John, who was your attorney?”

“Julian Sanchez, here in Phoenix.”

“Then I’ll get right on this.”

John’s face was more relaxed when he said, “Thanks. Listen, everyone, I really appreciate all you’ve tried to do for me. As for believing in me, that’s incredible. If you don’t mind, I’d like to rest and do some thinking. I think I’ve had too many surprises for one day.”

After everyone had left John tried to take a nap on the bed, but his emotions were still going at full speed. Finally he realized he wasn’t going to fall asleep. He got out of bed, sat in the Lazy-boy, and surfed the channels on the TV. A short time later he fell asleep watching one of his favorite movies, ‘The Outlaw Josie Wales.’ John always loved that Eastwood used real Indians to play Indians in his movies, and no Indian was ever killed by any of Eastwood’s characters. John’s favorite character in this movie was the old Cherokee Indian played by Chief Dan George.

A couple hours later, John was awakened by someone knocking at the door. When he opened it there was a guard with a food cart, and some folded clothes. In a friendly and compassionate voice the guard said, “Miss Gilford fixed supper for you earlier, and asked us to deliver it. As for these clothes, several of us are about your size, so we got you some casual clothes to wear when you’re in your room. We thought it would make it feel less like a prison.”

John replied, “Thank you. The casual clothes and the simple display of understanding is most thoughtful, and is greatly appreciated.”

“If you need anything else, we’re right outside.”

“Thanks.” The guard left, softly closing the door behind him. John moved the cart to the table, but before he ate anything he stared at the food and then stared at the clothes. It seemed like for more than five minutes, his eyes went back and forth between them, unable to decide which meant more, at that moment.

Finally, he grabbed a pair of jeans. He was so excited to be able to wear something normal, he almost tore the ‘prison orange’ jumpsuit trying to get out of it and put the jeans on. John decided they were a little loose, so he’d probably need a belt, especially since he had gotten into the habit of going ‘commando, ‘ as Lester had called going without underwear. John chuckled at the thought of facing a charge of indecent exposure if the jeans happened to drop at an inconvenient moment. He selected a blue plaid shirt to go with the jeans, and after getting everything in place, he went to the bathroom to look in the mirror. God, that feels better, he thought to myself.

Feeling better than he had in a long time John returned to the table and the cart with the food. There was a cover on the cart and when he lifted it he could see it was set up to be a portable steam table able to keep the food warm and moist for a good while. He set the food on the table. Brenda had prepared Fettuccine Alfredo with mesquite grilled chicken, and broccoli. In addition, there was a small loaf of fresh baked Italian bread. There was a plate of brownies for dessert. John looked at the food, smiled, and thought to himself, If I keep eating like this, maybe I won’t need that belt after all.

When he finished he passed the cart to the guards at the door and thanked them again for the clothes. While he walked back to the Lazy-boy it dawned on him how much all of this really had made a difference to his mental attitude. Still thinking about all the changes in his life that had occurred that day he reclined and flipped around the cable channels. For some reason he was drawn to something on one of the educational channels about the Arizona Apache, watching it for more than an hour before he fell asleep.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.