The Hawk and The Chipmunk - Cover

The Hawk and The Chipmunk

Copyright© 2005 R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 74

Hawk, Marc, and Skyler arrived at the Yarrow Bay Grill a few minutes after noon. The restaurant was moderately busy, but several tables overlooking the marina and the lake were still available. When Hawk explained he wanted two tables; one being a particular table at the window, and the second within easy sight of the first, the host’s attitude was bordering on belligerent. In response Hawk showed the man his black Visa Card and a hundred dollar bill, and asked, “Sir, have you ever seen one of these cards?”

With a rapidly changing attitude, the man answered, “I’ve never seen one Sir, but I know what it is.”

“Good. Now, I’ll give you this hundred if you immediately seat us where we want, and since I don’t know how long we’ll be here, I want you to add another hundred to my charge for each hour we are here beyond the first one.”

Smiling as he scooped up the cash, the man answered, “I think that can be arranged, Sir.”

“Good. In addition, please advise our server there will be a similar gratuity for prompt and outstanding service.”

“I will make sure of it, personally.”

“This meeting is very important to me, so if you do, I’ll add more to your hundred as we leave.”

“Sir, I assure you that you, and those at the second table, will be treated like royalty. Also, I’m assuming from your statement you’ve guests joining you.”

“Just one,” Hawk answered. “Do you know Sarah O’Doul?”

“Tall redhead, works at Microsoft?”

“That’s the one. Would you please escort her to my table when she arrives.”

Now even more impressed, the host answered, “Sir, it’ll be my honor.”

Hawk was slowly enjoying a sampler plate of mussels and other appetizers when he saw Sarah enter the room. ‘Dayum, she looks good, ‘ he thought to himself, but even the memories of their past did not stir his heart in the slightest. He rose to greet her as she was escorted to his table. The host seated her before he could do it himself. Hawk could see Sarah had been studying him the entire time she’d been in the restaurant.

Once they were alone, she said, “Well, you’ve got the right table, but how do I know you’re who you say you are. You don’t look like anyone I’ve ever met.”

“Sarah Nightingale, do you still sing in the shower?”

The shocked woman exclaimed, “John! You’re the only man that ever called me that.” Then in a softer voice, she asked, “What happened. Last I heard you were dead.”

“Sarah, my name is Robert Gray Hawk. The person you knew as John Grayson is dead. Most of my friends call me Hawk.”

“This is spooky. Can you give me any other reassurance?”

“Sure. Do you still wear a yellow bra with pink panties?”

As their waiter approached the table, Sarah turned almost as red as her hair, and said, “Shit, you’re not ever going to let me forget that, are you?”

“Not as long as you doubt who I am. Now, let’s order.” After listening to the restaurant’s specials they both ordered grilled halibut steaks with drawn butter and a grilled vegetable medley. Sarah also asked for a particular white wine and another sampler platter.

When the waiter headed to the kitchen Sarah leaned closer, and asked, “So, what did happen. I’ve read about your vindication from the framing attempt instigated by that bitch you married, but I also read you died in a fiery crash on the Interstate.”

“Sarah, as I said, John is dead. Now I have two women who are hopelessly in love with me, and with each other. What’s more, I’m in love with them and totally committed to the relationship. I’m legally married to one and the two of us consider the other woman a second wife. They also view themselves as sisters.”

“Are they really sisters?”

“In their minds and hearts, yes, definitely. One is Apache, and the other is a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. As for me, I’m Apache in my face, my blood and my heart. I consider that makes me a full Apache.”

“You looked like a Native American, but I couldn’t tell if it was a disguise or your real face.”

Hawk tugged briefly on his nose, and said, “Nope, it’s all me.”

Sarah laughed at his antics. That was one thing she missed about their relationship - he could always make her laugh. The waiter brought them the second appetizer plate as well as replacing what Hawk had already eaten. Right behind him was the wine steward with the wine Sarah had requested. It was tasted, approved, and poured before they were again alone. At that point Hawk held off any business discussion while they ate. Instead they relived memories and Sarah brought him up to date regarding old friends. This allowed Sarah to fully process the information she’d just received, as well as enjoy the excellent seafood they had set before them. When they finished eating the table was cleared and the waiter brought Hawk and Sarah some coffee.

Once the waiter departed Sarah said, “Well, we’ve established John is dead, and an Apache named Hawk has all his memories, and I assume all his skills. Based on that, how can I help you?”

“Do you have the authority to sign a non-disclosure agreement?”

“Probably, but I would feel better if I had it also signed by several others in the company. What’s this in regards to?”

“Let’s talk hypothetically for a few minutes.”

“An ‘I wish’ discussion like we used to have following computer lab.”

“That scenario would work, as long as you understand reality might be more solid than a wish.”

“I follow. You’re trying to give me enough information to pique my interest, but without revealing how far you’ve come in development. I think the term is plausible deniability. So, tell me about what you can plausibly deny, and how I can be of assistance.”

“Sarah, we’re talking an entirely new hardware paradigm - internal Beowulf Cluster with separate memory for each processor as well as a central core memory. We’re looking at an increased throughput at the magnitude of close to eight. The entire unit, including a terabyte solid-state drive is encased in a small, shielded metal unit and cooled by a non-conductive liquid. As a result, it’s super fast, almost totally quiet, and has no fans or heat sinks. It has built in surge protection, battery backup, and the core unit isn’t affected by an electromagnetic pulse.”

“Can I buy stock, and how can Microsoft get involved?”

“Sorry about the stock. It’ll never be a publicly held company. As for your involvement, I want a Graphic shell around my own version of Linux.”

“John, I mean Hawk, there are open software versions of that kind of interface already on the market.”

“I know, but I want this to be sold as a special version of your operating system designed just for our computers. If need be, I’m willing to pay for the rights, as well as your design assistance.”

“I’ll have to be honest. I seriously doubt I can get them to buy into this, especially with a new, privately held startup.”

“Well, once this gets going it won’t be just us. Our partner has signed over all rights to the Komtec name, and they’ve a right of first refusal on a six month exclusive in the production. Besides, I can put down a sizable good faith deposit, if necessary. At the same time, let your people know this will accomplish much of what they’ve been seeking for years in the area of ‘instant on, ‘ blinding throughput and drastically increased security.”

At the mention of the Komtec name her mind went into overdrive before she asked about the deposit, “Just for curiosity, what do you consider sizable?”

“Up to a hundred million.”

The thoroughly stunned woman asked, “How can I contact you?”

“Here’s my card. Our research lab and offices are located at the Williams Gateway Airport, outside of Phoenix. The one limitation is no one, other than you, can know of my past.”

“If we agreed, how long before we could see a prototype?”

“If you will settle for a standard bios and an off the shelf version of your operating system, you can see it tomorrow.”

“You’re shitting me!”

“Nope! The hardware prototype is already operational. The next step is an operating system that will utilize all the features in the best possible manner, and to link that to some graphical interface.”

“On that basis I suspect you’ll see some of us tomorrow, along with a signed non-disclosure agreement. In fact, for this I might get our retired chairman to join us.”

“If you do, ask him when was the last time he heard from Matt, Chris, and Bill. That will stir his thinking before we meet.”

“If that’s the trio from NC State, I’m sure it will.”

“At this point, Sarah, I’ll nether confirm nor deny.”

“OK, I’ll live with that. How long will it take you to get back to your offices?”

“We’re flying out of King County, so less than two hours after we leave here.”

“Two Hours! What are you flying?”

“A Citation Ten.”

“Damn, I should be so lucky. It will take us closer to four hours to fly there.”

“Of course, but you can carry more people.”

“That’s true. Now, are you paying, or do I put it on my account?”

“I’m paying. You head back to the campus and stir things up while I take care of this and head home.”

“I’ll let you know about tomorrow, but either way, I’m glad we had this time together. Also, tell your wives I think they’re very lucky women.”

Hawk stood as Sarah left, and then returned to his seat to finish his wine and gaze for a few minutes across the water. When the server brought his card back with the bill Hawk added the promised tip and headed toward the front, followed closely by Marc and Skyler.

“Was our service up to your standards?” asked the host.

Hawk slipped the man another hundred as he answered, “Yes, it was excellent.”


At the announcement of their imminent landing in Phoenix Hawk found himself rather surprised. It seem he’d just started writing the code needed for the new system, only to find they were already home.

“Wow!” Hawk announced to Skyler and Marc, “I can’t believe how fast that was.”

Marc responded, “I agree. For a small group of people in a hurry this is the only way to travel. In fact, if you’re going to have a lot more such flights you might want to consider adding one of these to the company fleet.”

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.