P I And Magic - Cover

P I And Magic

Copyright© 2005 by Volentrin

Chapter 9

I woke up tired and feeling like crap. I'd had the most severe magical work-out, since leaving Markus. I checked the spells that remained, and noticed they were either frayed, or fading. I canceled them. I would do a whole new set shortly. But first, I wanted a shower.

I am not sure how long I was in the shower, when I heard a pounding on my door. I turned off the shower, and grabbed my robe. I was pulling it on as I walked towards the door. It broke open before I got there.

"Police! Get on the floor, now!" yelled an officer in blue.

Far be it from me to offer any arguments to the police. I complied and cursed myself for having canceled my spells a little to soon. I was cuffed, and told I was under arrest for the murder of Alex Carston. They read me my rights, as I was led outside and placed into a police cruiser.

Shortly, I was in an interrogation room, in the Clinton police department.

"Well, well, Mr. Lindsy. We meet again," Detective Mark Jefferson said to me.

"Detective Jefferson, when am I going to be released?" I asked.

"I am afraid you are not going to be released. We have solid evidence that puts you at the home of Alex Carston, who was found murdered. Shot to death. We figure you did it," he told me.

"Well, then I guess I will need an attorney. If you have me at a place where someone died, then I must be guilty," I snorted at him.

"Is that a confession?" he asked me.

"No. That was an expression of contempt, and a bit of sarcasm," I replied.

"Well, I think we are going to be here for a long time. Your car was spotted at the home of the deceased shortly before the discovery of his body. You were seen entering his residence. How do you explain his body, if you didn't do it?" he asked me.

"I don't. I went and asked for directions. Why don't you ask the other people who were at the party he was having?" I replied.

"Never mind that. Why did you kill him, Lindsy? What was he to you?" Detective Jefferson asked me.

"I didn't kill him. I want a lawyer. I refuse to answer any further questions until I am represented by counsel," I said.

"Come on. You know you don't need a lawyer... unless you have something to hide," he said with a sneer. He was definitely trying to provoke me.

"Actually, according to statistics, more people confess to crimes they did not commit than those who have legal representation. I have no problem answering your questions, I just want an officer of the court representing me here at the same time," I answered.

And so it went, for over an hour, I was questioned, and I answered with I wanted an attorney, and reminded them that they were in violation of my constitutional rights by refusing to allow me representation.

I was taken to a holding cell, and still not given a phone to call from. The total time, was about two hours. I was still dressed in my robe. Breakfast came and went, and I was not fed. They were definitely trying to make me very uncomfortable, trying to psych me into confessing, to get what I was supposed to have by law.

Their problem was, I was knowledgeable about the law. I worked in concert with law officers in my town. I didn't know how long I would have to myself, so I started constructing small, but useful spells.

I also did a spell that was a general-purpose spell. It was my request for help spell. Once released, I would not know how, but help would come to me. I had used it a few times before. It was an amazing spell, in how it worked.

The thing is, I did kill this guy. He had it coming, and I could not tell the police why I did it. I had to do it. This Carston guy was into heavy shit, and the police would never believe why I killed him, and I did not feel like spending the next 15 to life in prison for doing the world a favor.

So yeah, although I respect the police and the hard work they do, in this instance I would have to lie my ass off. I hated doing it. I was raised to respect the law. Interfering with a police investigation, was not what I would normally do. I sighed.

I released my help spell, and waited. It was all I could do now. Hours passed. I was questioned off and on. I was surprised they let me take breaks, as one interrogation technique, was to question a suspect until he cracked. I didn't really approve of that technique, but understood why police used it. It would not work on me, of course. Yet still, I was surprised when it was not even tried.

I asked when my arraignment was. Since I had been arrested, I could only be held for so long without seeing a judge. My first clue that this was not a correct arrest, was when I was ignored. Usually you are told when your arraignment is. I also knew that this state could not hold you more than 24 hours, without a proper warrant.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.