Do You Declare an Emergency? - Cover

Do You Declare an Emergency?

by JenniferAnn

Copyright© 2004 by JenniferAnn

Fiction Story: A continuation of Julie's flying career from "Solo." Two lives depend on her flying skills. I try to convey the fear, tension and what professional pilots call the "pucker factor" felt by someone in a flying emergency. Corrected some minor mistakes, mentioned by a reader.

Tags: Ma/ft  

Figures from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) show that on average, there are over 5500 airliners and general aviation planes flying at any one time. This number does not account for the numerous military aircraft also flying. Nothing is more terrifying to a pilot than to have a serious in-flight emergency. During an emergency, all pilots feel very much alone. However, in reality that is not the case.

A young girl suddenly finds herself alone in weather.

Julie felt excitement tinged with just a bit of apprehension when she arrived at LoneStar Aviation for her flying lesson. With over 70 hours of flight time as a pilot, she was beginning to feel comfortable in the cockpit. She had her private license and was working on her instrument ticket. Today, she was scheduled to fly with her flight instructor, Ben Jensen and practice instrument approaches.

Well, I won’t be under the hood1 today, she thought. Weather report said the ceiling was 1000 feet and a solid cloud deck to 8000. We will have real IMC2 today

Entering LoneStar’s operations office she saw Alice Bell, the receptionist. “Hi Alice!” said Julie, smiling and waving as she walked by the desk.

Looking up Alice replied, “Hi Julie! Mr. Jensen asked that you see him as soon as you arrived. He is in his office.”

Julie frowned inwardly and thought, Is the flight off? Has something happened?

“Ok, Alice. Is there a problem?” she asked.

“Don’t know Julie, He didn’t say,” responded Alice.

Ben Jensen’s office reflected the life of a man who had spent over forty years flying. There were pictures on the walls showcasing many of the airplanes he had flown during his many years. Other pictures were of him and other aviators, some famous and some not so famous. Above his desk was a wooden propeller, mounted like a trophy deer head. Every flat surface was covered with flying paraphernalia, magazines, models, teaching tools, flight computers and charts.

Regardless of the mess, Julie knew that in the airplane he was neat, professional and all perceiving. There were few mistakes that got pass his experience eyes.

The only thing she did not like about going into Mr. Jensen’s office was the smell of cigarette smoke. Mr. Jensen was a smoker; although he did not smoke around his students, his office still smelled of leftover cigarette smoke.

“Morning Julie!” he said looking up from a computer printout.

“Good morning Mr. Jensen. Alice said to see you right away?” queried Julie.

“Yes, something has come up. It seems...”

“I was afraid of that,” mumbled Julie disappointed and interrupting. “Do you want me to reschedule?”

“Now, Julie if you would let me finish!”

“Sorry!” she interrupted again.

Shaking his head and smiling he commanded, “Sit down!”

Julie sat down!

“Now, will you allow me to speak without interruption?” he asked with a fatherly smile.

Julie nodded her head.

He continued, “A local company manufactures some kind of specialty computer board that is used by the offshore drilling rigs. One of these computers went bad on an oil production platform and the entire thing is shut down until they can get a replacement.”

“I have been asked to fly the replacement board down to Galveston, where a helicopter will then fly it out to the platform. I was thinking that, if you wanted, this would be a wonderful real-world flying opportunity. We could take the computer board to Galveston in the 210. You would get to do some real IFR flying, along with acquiring some complex and high-performance aircraft time. The best part is that it won’t cost you a dime. The oil company is paying for the flight.”

“Really, Mr. Jensen! That would be wonderful,” exclaimed Julie. “I would love it.”

“Ok, call your parents to clear it. Tell them we should be back around 8:30 tonight.”

He continued, “Here is our flight plan. I’ve already worked it up. We should be departing runway 17 to the Basto fix3 then with the wonders of GPS4 going direct to Galveston’s feeder fix for an ILS approach and landing to runway 13. Call flight service and file us.

“The computer part is not due here for another forty-five minutes. I will want to go over the cockpit layout of the 210 with you. It is a little different than what you have been flying. You need to be familiar with it and the faster airspeeds.

“Oh, and one more thing, when you file the flight plan, use a 9:00 UTC5 departure,” he finished.

Julie left the office, called her mother and told her about the changes. She then filed the flight plan and went out to the Cessna 210 Centurion. By 2:45 local time they were cranking the engine and ready to go.

“Austin clearance, this is Cessna Centurion N6234 X-ray with information Bravo, IFR to BASTO,” said Julie over the radio.

“Cessna 34 X-ray, you are cleared BASTO, INDUSTRY direct Galveston,” Answered the radio.

Julie keyed the mike, “Copy 34 X-ray is cleared Basto, Industry then direct Galveston.”

“Read back correct, 34 X-ray.”

Julie looked at Ben, “They are sending us to the Industry VOR before we are cleared to Galveston.”

“Yes”, answered Ben. “That’s OK, we will just insert Industry into the GPS flight plan. It is only a few minutes out of our way”

Ten minutes later they were airborne and heading to Galveston’s Scholes International Airport.


Two hours after landing, Julie and Mr. Jensen were back in the airplane and ready for the return flight into Austin. They had finished the checklists and were sitting, with engine idling, on the edge of the runway, ready for takeoff. Julie could see the landing lights of an airliner on final approach to land.

Well, thought Julie. That was cool. The flight to Galveston was awesome. I flew well, shot a good approach and landing. Mr. Jensen even bought me dinner, compliments of the oil company. So here, we go again, time to go home.

“I am ready for takeoff, you ready?” she asked as she turned to face Mr. Jensen. His face looked ashen and drained. His shoulders seemed to sag.

“You OK sir? You look ill.”

“Just a touch of indigestion, Julie,” he responded. “Must have been something I ate? I have had it a couple times during the last week or so. I guess I will need to see the doctor. Just been busy...

“Yes, I’m ready. Let’s go,” he managed to say.

Julie keyed the mike, “Tower, N34 X-ray is ready for takeoff.”

“34 X-ray you are cleared for takeoff, Runway 13. Climb and maintain 5000. Contact departure on 134.45, altimeter 3004”

“Roger, 34 X-ray is cleared for takeoff runway 12, climb and maintain 5000, departure on 134.45, altimeter 3004,” echoed Julie.

She added power to the engine and taxied onto the runway. Then adding full power she focused on keeping the airplane on the center line of the runway as it accelerated. At 80 knots she applied gentle back pressure on the yoke and the airplane left the runway. A few seconds later the gear came up and they entered into the clouds.

There was a bit of turbulence in the clouds. The plane started bouncing and Julie focused on keeping the airplane under control. She changed the radio frequency and contacted departure control and followed their instructions.

Five minutes later, still in the clouds, she leveled off at 5000 feet and trimmed the airplane for level flight.

The radio crackled, “Cessna 34 X-ray, expect direct Austin in five minutes. I need to get you around some Houston traffic.

“34 X-ray copies,” replied Julie.

“This extension will bring us east of then back over Houston through all that traffic,” Julie mentioned to Ben.

When he didn’t reply she turned to look in his direction.

“Mr. Jensen? MR. JENSEN!!” cried Julie. “ARE YOU ALRIGHT?”

Ben Jensen didn’t answer. He was unconscious and slumped toward the door.

“MR JENSEN?” cried Julie once again. She reached over and touched him. He fell forward brushing the control yoke.

“OH MY GOD! MR JENSEN WHAT’S THE MATTER?” screamed Julie to the unconscious man.

She reached with both hands, grabbed him and pulled him back upright. She tried to feel for a pulse but in her fear, she wasn’t sure if he had one or not. She pulled on the shoulder strap to tighten the shoulder harness keeping him upright.

“November 34 X-ray, I show you 400 below altitude.”

OH my God, what am I going to do? thought Julie, not hearing the radio call. He might die up here.

“November 34 X-ray, do you copy? You are 500 below altitude and descending.”

“Mr. Jensen, Mr. Jensen, say something!!” cried Julie “PLEASE!”

“November 34 X-ray do you copy me, you are 600 off altitude descending and turning.” said the controller with a hint of concern in his otherwise professional voice.

“53 Nancy turn to 280 I have a Cessna 210 Centurion descending into your altitude.”

Huh? thought Julie

“Roger, turning to 280, 53 Nancy” said the other airplane.

“OH MY GOD!” exclaimed Julie out loud as she realized what was happening to the airplane.

Looking at the attitude indicator6 she saw that she was in a descending left turn. The airspeed was increasing, and she was losing altitude. Grabbing the yoke she rolled the airplane wings level and pulled backwards to stop the descent.

“NOVEMBER 6234 X-RAY, THIS IS HOUSTON CENTER DO YOU COPY?” blared the radio.

“Err ... Houston, yes ... err ... sorry... 34 X-ray copies.”

“Houston ... Err... 34 X-ray has a problem.” Julie mumbled as she started climbing back to her assigned altitude of 5000 feet.

“State the nature of your problem, 34 X-ray, “replied Houston center, relieved to hear from her.

“Errr ... Houston center something has happened to my flight instruction he isn’t moving. He is slumped over and won’t answer me.” stammered Julie.

“I don’t know if he is alive?” she fearfully answered.

“Is he breathing, 34 X-ray?” inquired the controller.

“I’m not sure ... I think so ... I tried to see if he had a pulse ... I can’t tell. Oh my God...”

“Copy 34 X-ray. Maintain your current heading and altitude,” the voice replied in her headset.

Then after a slight pause, “Are you declaring an emergency?”

“Emergency? ... Errr ... I ... I don’t know,” stammered Julie, unable to think clearly.

“Hon, do it. He can help you.” Came a calm female voice over the radio.

“I concur.” Came another voice, this one male, breaking Julie’s stupor.

“YES, YES, 34 X-RAY IS DECLARING AN EMERGENCY.” Yelled Julie into the microphone.

Houston Center copies, November 6234 X-ray has declared an emergency,” stated the controller for Julie and the tape recorder.

 
There is more of this story...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.